PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Answer's 1/200 Junyo

Well, I couldn't wait to start this having just finished DeRuyter. I usually take a few days but this model excited me and I have never built a carrier.

I short-cutted this one and bought the laser frames. The fit is amazing and my fingers approve of the lack of pain cutting all the formers.

I punched holes in the doubler frames and aligned then using thin CA to laminate the halves. The hull is true and straight.

I have not decided if I want to go solid on the hull bottom yet. The ships deck can't be installed until after the sides are plated, as such I am worried I may twist her when the fill in the lower hull. I have to think it over. Anyway. The internal and both bow and stern have to be all but finished so I have time to think it over.

The after lift is designed to be modeled open or closed so I will open her. I built one Val and started the aft hanger.

I think I will scratch build fillers for the upper formers to fit between the deck and the hull to give the plating something to adhere to.
Attached Thumbnails
Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310001.jpg   Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310002.jpg   Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310003.jpg   Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310004.jpg   Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310005.jpg  

Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310006.jpg   Answer's 1/200 Junyo-pc310007.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Will keep an eye on this build. I have the Angraf Graf Zeppellan 1:200
carrier so I'm interested in a similar build. Looks like you are off to a
good start.....Ron
Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Man you just keep pumping them out. Will watch you again build a master piece.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Will keep an eye on this build. I have the Angraf Graf Zeppellan 1:200
carrier so I'm interested in a similar build. Looks like you are off to a
good start.....Ron
I had one too and sold, man do I wish I had of kept that one.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Being an Answer Models 1/200 Scale Fan as well as a IJN Fleet Junkie, you got my attention. Nice work on those Hull Formers, looking down the long view shows how pretty the lines are on her, even though she is an Aircraft Carrier. Looking forward to your progress reports as you work your way along.
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Ron, I had both Graf Zeppelin and Junyo out side by side and chose Junyo only because of the laser formers.

Jay, Junyo started her career as an Ocean Liner. She and her sister Hiyo were designed to be built as liners and rapidly transitioned to carriers once Japan pulled out of the treaty. Never completed as a Liner, her hull has all the signs. Junyo, actually survived the war despite significant damage was a very nice looking vessel. One more reason that Japan led the way in carrier technology, they were the first to realize the importance of the type. They pulled Shinnano from being completed as a BB before the war started. Today, the techniques devised by the British and fine tuned by the Japanese form the backbone of the US carrier operations.

I hope I do her justice.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I don't remember (sold my kit ages ago...) if Junyo provides any planes to park on the flight deck, but at one point in time Answer offered free download of one Zero and one Judy. This doesn't sound like much, but those kits could be opened in CorelDraw or Inkscape to easily modify tail numbers to create multiple planes.
Unfortunatelly their web site seems to be down for some time now....

There is another source to supply flight component for your ship. Kami-Mokei Ž†–ÍŒ^.comƒIƒŠƒWƒiƒ‹ has a pretty decent squadron of planes in 1:200 scale (Tenzan, Judy and Zero) that can be had for very little money (ca. $6).
PDF files are password protected and can be downloaded anytime, password is supplied by email after payment is made - info and links at the bottom of the page.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm glad to see this model in your hands, you're a great model and the model is a great design, perfect combination
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are off to a great start with this project. I like the Kanbaku perched on the hangar deck. I think the Kami-Moki site cited by Mike is the best bet for late-war IJN carrier aircraft.

Don
Old 01-01-2011, 07:53 PM

The kit does provide many aircraft, 18 zeros, and 6 each Vals, Judys, and 6 Jills. I think Junyo's actual airwing carried all of these into her final battle but I am not sure. Japan's problem was not planes but pilots by the end of the war.

I am not sure what planes she carried into the Battle of The Philippine Sea. After that time she was done, no planes, no crews.
Google Adsense