PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-07-2011, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.k.warner View Post
One thing I am interested in... I cut out and constructed the bars which will hold up the launches from the deck... they sort of look like cranes. I mounted the part on 1mm card and cut it out and glued two back to back so the printed sides faced out. Now i have these square-ish black poles... I wast to round them off to give the impression of like cast-iron poles.. basically make them not so "cornery". Does that make sense? I am thinking I can just rub the edges down with a knitting needle or some other smooth piece of metal, but if there is a proper way to do it, please let me know. I plan to use the same technique on the anchor, as well.
One thing you could try is to impregnate the part with superglue (the thin kind) and then just sand the corners off with an emery board. There is no "official" proper way to do what you want. What ever works for you is your "proper" way.

Greg
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
Alrighty, finished. I was super excited about this model... but when all the parts made it together and I took final photos, all kinds of problems jumped out to me. Smudges, bits of unsightly glue, crooked pieces.... I think I am victim of impatience. I love the model, I think it looks good, but I am fairly certain I can do better if I take my time and am more careful. I did kind of rush it because of guests coming to visit and my wife threatening my man-parts with my xacto if I did not clear the table of paper products before they got here. Oh well... I learned alot, learned about burnishing edges, that I can probably achieve better results If I invest in paint and learn that skill set. I learned that as the model grows larger in scale, one must be certain to get the parts just right... larger models are MUCH less forgiving of mistakes and blemishes. I learned that cheap runny super glue that grabs quick and holds tight is infinately better than the expensive craft glue i used that stays gooey longer.

Thanks for tuning in to this build! Thanks to Ertz for the model and everyone else for the helpful hints tips and tricks. I think my next model will be in the early US armored vehicle realm, so I will see yall over there!
Attached Thumbnails
"CSS Palmetto State 1/250" or "Is doubling the size a good idea?"-16.jpg   "CSS Palmetto State 1/250" or "Is doubling the size a good idea?"-18.jpg   "CSS Palmetto State 1/250" or "Is doubling the size a good idea?"-19.jpg   "CSS Palmetto State 1/250" or "Is doubling the size a good idea?"-17.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.k.warner View Post
I was super excited about this model... but when all the parts made it together and I took final photos, all kinds of problems jumped out to me. Smudges, bits of unsightly glue.....
Karl,
Your build looks very nice. Each one gets better and better. In the future, one way to help eliminate smudges and excess glue spots is to spray the printed sheets with a light coat of krylon or some other type of matte spray before cutting into them.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome! I think It came out just great!
CT
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
A nicely done piece of modelling Karl.

In honor of your sacrifice, and wounds inflicted by the tools
of the state, you are hereby decorated with the Bloody Blade.

"CSS Palmetto State 1/250" or "Is doubling the size a good idea?"-blade.jpg

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Classic, Texman. Classic!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Somehow I missed the beginning of this thread. Not only is the model great, but the discussion is full of useful dialogue on techniques and methodology.

Incidentally, everyone, I was at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center today and was able to see Karl's two tank models. They look even better in real life than they do in the photos. I'm really impressed with the way he has undertaken the craft and the speed with which he has developed the skills and techniques. When I build my own Perry T4 Combat Car, I will be happy if it turns out as well as Karl's. And, as you can imagine, it's great to have a paper modeling buddy close by.

And on the subject of edge coloring, now that the Flyboy has awarded karl the order of the bloody Blade, I plan to present him with an olive drab Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayon.

Don
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Col. Boose came by my office today and paid me an unexpected visit to see my models. I was completely flattered and proud to have my models described as "well done" by such a renowned scholar.

Everyone here is great, and I think I have found a hobby that will stick with me for a great many years. Thank you, and cheers!