PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Weldon Battery - full-hull test build

Having finished CT’s superb CSS Macon (Version 1) and, whilst waiting for the amendments and additions before building Version 2 and 3, CT has sent me the files to test-build a complete model of the Weldon Ironclad Battery.

John Wallis did a superb test build of the waterline model and Greg Perry has built the hull section, confirming it goes together with minor issues which CT has ironed out (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ct-ertzs-projects/15196-weldon-battery-full-hull-1-250-scale.html) but, as of yet no one has completed a full and complete hulled model with pictures……so, here goes! John, Greg – any suggestions or thoughts you have after building your parts of the vessel would be great…

The Weldon Battery-

Of Albemarle type construction, but bigger and stronger, the “Weldon Battery” was a steam powered ironclad ram designed by J. L. Porter and constructed at Edwards Ferry, possibly by G. Elliott. Inspected by Commodore Cooke, she was built similar to the CSS Albemarle, but longer, to 172 feet. The heavy casemate was built at a 30 degree angle to deflect enemy shot and the number of guns may have been 4 or 6, depending on the caliber when completed. Internally, the hull was strengthened with two vertical bulkheads running the length of the ship. At some point, the ship was taken to Fort Branch (Rainbow Bluff) North Carolina to be armed armored. The planned armor came from England, having been run through the blockade and delivered to Wilmington. At this point, the almost completed and operational ironclad disappeared from the records; possibly scuttled to avoid capture.

The finished model depicts the Weldon Battery as she may have looked when finished – ex works, with four heavy caliber cannon - her broad side armament being off set to provide room to work the guns.

Unlike the majority of CT’s earlier models, the Weldon Battery is a full hull model (a waterline version is also available). Having a shallow draft (an almost flat bottom with angled sides) it does make forming the hull easier to form than a deep V type hull. The hull skins (consisting of a lower or bottom part and the hull sides – both left and right halves) fit, with patience and lots of dry fitting, over the hull formers (which also provide the former for the deck). Forming the shape around the keel and rudder section takes a little time (and, it might have been my cutting, takes a bit of trimming to fit correctly). The only addition I have made is to paste a strip of red card along the length of the keel – rather than edge colour it (thus ensuring the colour matches exactly). Anyway, my first attempt (not only at the model, but also my first attempt at any type of full hull/keel) is at least acceptable (to my eyes anyway).

Guys – I know on my previous builds I’ve asked for constructive criticism and I thank those who have done so – please please please continue to help me improve by doing so. I really do find your comments help me to learn and grow – giving me the confidence to attempt new projects. I am still relatively new to the hobby and have only mediocre skills, BUT have lots of patience and a willingness to improve. The test builds I have been doing for CT have gone a long way to improving my skills and I hope that my posts have been informative as well as of interest – if not then please tell me. My intention is never to teach anyone to ‘suck eggs’ (the majority of my fellow forum members have skills that leave mine in the shadows - and I can only aspire to your superb builds) but to offer to members of a similar level as myself some new ideas as well as providing photographic ‘evidence’ of success as well as failure. Thanks again for your help and encouragement…
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-1-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-2-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-3-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-4-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-5-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-6-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-7-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-8-.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome start! Watch out for the screw and shaft assembly. Although the pattern has parts for a rolled shaft it is so small that it is hard or impossible to do with card. It may need to be replaced with shafting from another source besides paper, or, like the steam pipe on other models, be a thick 2d cut out. See what you think.

CT
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Build Part Two

Final post for this evening - the build is going along much quicker than I expected, the deck going on pretty easily and the deck edging not causing too much of an issue, although it does overhang the tiniest amount in a few places.

I am not going to duplicate build processes that I've already discussed in earlier threads, so there is little to say regarding the construction of the casement. The only thing I've done differently is to use a single strand of my wifes' cross-stitch thread (slightly thicker than cotton or sewing thread) to provide an indication of the rope used on the casement port hatches. By using a pin to make a hole above each port before forming the casement and making a hole in each cover, it was just a simple matter of passing the thread through and sticking to the back of the cover, then pulling it through the casement and affixing inside.

I was a little worried about making the propellor shafts. Before I say any more, I realise that I put the shaft supports on incorrectly which has led to the shafts sitting a little lower than they should. Rather than try and roll the shafts I used solder wire, easy to cut and easy to straighten. Just coloured black with a sharpie, I made a hole in the hull through which the wire passes through, giving ample support and also looking a lot more realistic.

Just gone 10.00pm here - my wife commented about half an hour ago that I had been sat at my work desk, working on the Weldon since just after 8.00am! So, I guess it's time to put my tools away and look forward to tomorrow......
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-9-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-10-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-11-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-12-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-14-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-13-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-15-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-16-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-17-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-18-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-19-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-20-.jpg  

Old 07-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome build! Tell your wife I thank her for allowing you the time to build! I have a wife too, and I know it's a pleasure when she allows me time to myself, with all the other stuff that needs done.

Your build is wonderful!
CT
Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Beautiful work on the aft underside with propulsion and steering gear.
Lots of clear images as well.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Good Job on the hull! Thanks for taking up the challenge of the full hull beta build. I might have flamed out on mine but you have the impetus for complete success!

Greg
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Finished!!

Thanks CT, Michael, Greg…

Day two of the build – should be able to have the Weldon Battery completed today, including a revised base for the full hull version (to match the bases of the other Ironclads I’ve built recently).

The main build is practically finished and its just the smaller ‘fiddly bits’ to finish off – the boat davits, anchors, cannon, railings etc. I bought 2 meters of black model chain from ebay a few weeks back, which will ensure I have enough to complete all of CT’s models twice over!

The propellers turned out much better than I could have hoped – not sure how its happened but one of them actually rotates! Like I said, the rest of the build was the fiddly bits and putting everything together.

To complement the model I have produced a new base, similar to the others I have used on CT’s models. The uprights include a small notch into which the keel sits, making the model sit steady and safely on the base. (CT – I’ll send you the pdf for the base of the Weldon when I’ve cleaned it up).

I really enjoyed test building this one – and I hope the photo’s do justice to the design. Sometimes you finish a model and you feel really happy with the result (I’m sure it’s not just me that feels like that is it?) – and, for me, this model is certainly one of them……enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-21-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-22-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-23-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-24-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-25-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-26-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-27-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-28-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-29-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-30-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-31-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-32-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-33-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-34-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-35-.jpg  

Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-36-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-37-.jpg   Weldon Battery - full-hull test build-weldon-battery-test-build1-38-.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is another very fine looking bit of work. That stand (with the history) really frames it nicely!
Great set of images.
Mike