PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
William Norris Gunboats diorama

Another of CT’s designs – and another freebie from the PM Downloads section here. The William Norris Gunship – the smallest of CT’s designs and a pretty simple model with very few pieces. That being said, I’ve changed the texture and added a few other bits. To add a little interest I also made the decision to build two gunboats, each slightly different. My thinking has been that the vessel was actually built (it was, in reality turned down by the Iron Clad Board), and being successful, they were built in some numbers, being employed as river patrol boats – perhaps ‘hunting’ in packs. Consequently, each boat was known by its number (Gunboat 8 and 16 being depicted). Gunboat 8 is of the original ‘as designed’ vessel, launched in 1862, whilst Gunboat 16 is a later ‘war modification’, with the addition of two extra gun-ports to offer a little more field of fire, improved engine and strengthened armour (you'll have to take my word for the last two!)

With all my models I enjoy having something for it to sit on when it’s completed. The bases I have designed for the ACW ship builds seems to have worked particularly well – giving me the opportunity to display some historical information about the ship as well as 'framing' the model somewhat. There’s nothing more frustrating (in my eyes anyway) than going to a model show and seeing some superb models but, apart from perhaps a small label to tell you what the model type is, having no other information about the subject (maybe its just my inquisitive nature!). Anyway, the base for the WN Gunboat is in the same style but built slightly differently – the water being pierced to allow the ships to sit ‘in’ the water rather than ‘on’ it!

Well, hope you enjoy the photo's - apologies for the shadows (particulary on the ladders - makes them look like they're standing off the casing whereas they are actually fixed to it) - making the most of our UK summer by taking the photo's outside...

As a ‘by the way’ – CT’s ‘Macon’ (the armoured wheel box version and the Water Witch wheel box version) are both up on Chris’ site at ECardmodels now – no doubt soon to be followed by the Macon as designed (when I’ve finished the test build over the next couple of days!!)
Attached Thumbnails
William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0075.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0077.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0078.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0079.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0080.jpg  

William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0083.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0085.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0086.jpg   William Norris Gunboats diorama-sany0087.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.34 MB
Awesome builds. I too think as a small patrol boat these would fave been great providing the engine could get the thing above 10 or 12 knots, making it quite fast for a river boat. As before, your base came out great.
CT
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks CT - I was imagining them as sort of Civil War PT Boats - but at slow speed! Can just imagine half a dozen of these 'little' vessels working in unison like a U-Boat wolf pack!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 502.39 MB
Nice work, Shawn!

Wyvern
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I don't know much about these types of Boats, but the fixed Bow gun seems a little useless to me.
Is this why the idea was rejected?

Nice dio none the less.
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Exceptional display. Your bases with historical notes really separates your models from the typical "model on a shelf". Nicely done!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks Rockpaperscissors, Wyvern - much appreciated.

Dave - the Board rejected the design mainly due to it being too small and too weakly armoured for the purpose needed (to combat the Ironclad 'menace')....That's one of the reasons why my 'late war version' has at least a couple of extra gun ports to port and starboard, but still only one gun on a pivot mounting,

Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
That looks awesome!! I like the historical context as part of the diorama. Great job!
Maybe we can talk CT into relooking his 1/72 scale version.

Jeff