PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The work you have done so far is remarkable.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Thanks for stopping in Greg and Chapuzas.

I cut out the ports in the sides. So far it is the only way I can make a model that they look "right" by comparison with photos.

Carl
Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

It was not intended to be critical Carl you have to remember my close work glasses are the equivalent of a lot of high power magifying glasses. Actually the reason for the close peering at the hull was I thought you had changed it to a single piece side.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Many thumbs up!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
Hello Carl,

I have been out of touch for a while (nearly passed away in a Diabetic Coma-didn't know I was Diabetic) and glad to see you are working on your favorite subject again, the French Pre-dreadnoght Navy. I am glad that I am able to watch you create your masterpieces. As usual I'm just stuned at you ability to design and build. Was the Charles-Martel built as a Coast Defence or Deep Ocean Battleship? I would emagine with the low freeboard aft that she was a Coast Defence Battleship. Keep up the great work and I well be watching.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM

beautyful...
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Nice tiny model Carl, you rule the cardboard as ever ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I hope this post comes through. Connectivity is rough here. Anyway....

Carl, Excellent choice for this scale. I have no doubt some of those curves were tricky. I do enjoy ships of this era. As I've said before, there were many theories about what the best combination of gun location and armor should be. The French had an interesting take on both. The photos I found of this beautiful ship were pretty good and showed good detail. Help me out, though, if you would..... Am I correct that the dark hull 'version' is of a later period in her life?
Attached Thumbnails
GBM 1:600 Charles-Martel-01.jpg   GBM 1:600 Charles-Martel-04.jpg   GBM 1:600 Charles-Martel-02.jpg   GBM 1:600 Charles-Martel-03.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Frenchies...,

Hi Carl,

Good to see you back. I'm still smitten with your tumblehome curve fits...,

Bien Cordialement, +Gil
Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, I just foolishly posted something in a "how do I" Rhino thread and will probably be reamed because I do things my own peculiar way.

Dennis, I'm glad to hear that you are OK.. even if I didn't know you were in trouble. Some of us in our tiny universe here care about these things and dread hearing of the sudden disappearance of our ethereal friends. Take care of yourself and get your strength back.

I've been overwhelmed by some new work assignments and have not had the time nor energy to move forward on this model... I'm not withdrawing or anything. Just don't have the energy really even when I have a little time.

And back to PW's question on the ship color. Briefly, in the mid XIXth century everybody had a fad for white ships with colorful upperworks. Huh. No surprise but the French realized that their ships were really easy to target in this color scheme and went to something else. For the latter half (roughly) of the century they painted the ships black on the lower hull and either brownish (Mediterranean) or grey (North Sea) up top. Details of how this was done varied... was the aft turret black or brown?... and etc. Most of the ships spent most of their time in the Med so can be depicted with the brown. Shortly after the turn of the century, just as for the RN, the French navy decided to paint their ships all over grey. The illustrations I have seen show it as a lightly bluish grey but I personally doubt this.

And no, she was not a coast defence ship. She was part of a cluster of 4 that were ordered at the same time: Charles-Martel, Carnot, Jauréguiberry and Masséna. Bouvet was sort of added on later. They were later termed a "Flotilla of Prototypes" or possibly, a "Flotilla of Curiosities". Words don't always gloss over cleanly.

Carl
Google Adsense