PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CSS Texas

Hi Modelers,

I am a new guy from Germany in this Forum and have to ask for help.
For quite some time I am pondering the idea of building a RC Ship model ( I know that I am not really at the right palce in this forum but I hope .. ) and some weeks ago I found the Ship I want to build.

Due to some travels to San Antonio, that my daugther is born there and the fact that it really looks great I would like to build the CSS Texas, Tennessee class ironclad.

My problem of course are the plans. I found lots of pictures, saw the MODELING CIVIL WAR IRONCLAD SHIPS pdf by Lund&Hathaway, but the real deal still eludes me.

So long story short, can someone help with the plans? I saw some posts of people tellingt they have then ( inactive people unfortunately )

Thank you a lot,

Beo
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
My CSS Texas ironclad model in the downloads was designed from great plans provided for me by John Wallis in his forthcoming book. It is convienient that John is also a member here on Paper modelers, going by "rebelatsea". His research is well done and his 3-way drawings are handy. Maybe he could help, and if the paper model in the downloads can help, feel free to upscale or use it how you need to. Good luck!
CT
CT
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
CSS Texas

BeoWoolF,

Welcome, here are the plans of the CSS Texas constructed at Richmond Virginia. I cannot claim credit for these, that belongs to Bob Holcombe, but I have added detail to show how she may have looked on completion.

The 3 vessels of the Columbia class as built were so different as to actually constitute 3 sub classes. The original plan featured a long casemate to mount either 6 or 8 guns (depending on the use of pivots or not) behind 4" armour, to which CSS Tennessee was constructed. At Mobile the vessel was altered to mount a 6 gun octagonal casemate, based on that of CSS Tuscaloosa.
John L Porter or his draftsman produced a modification to the original plan to which CSS Columbia was constructed. This featured a short square casemate mounting 6 guns behind 6" armour.
The last vessel of this type, CSS Texas, was modified yet again to mount an octagonal version of the 6 gun casemate, this time mounting 4 heavy guns behind 6" iron.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas-css-texas-service.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you a lot, this is something nice to start with!
Anybody has the blueprints if the superstructure ( meaning the ships body, not sure if you can call it so ) ?
Have a great day, I will go to bed now

Tags
css texas, ironclad