PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Q: for the Civil War historian re: H.L.Hunley

Got the H.L.Hunley kit from Renova Model. Is it accurate? I'm looking at the printed, and it is painted black. I don't recall seeing any historical data anywhere saying the Hunley was ever painted any color. The kit didn't translate to English. So do anyone with that kit and can read what it said? I always thought the Hunley was bare metal.

By the way. It was nice that Renova included a water color art print. I guessing it is the building they built the Hunley in. Do all Renova kits included some art print?
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Chapman's 1853 painting shows Hunley as a grayish colour. Chapman worked from the earlier Cook photograph that indicates a black color that is generally believed to be a coating of tar.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hi, Goodduck:

My online research indicates she was jet black, most likely due to the tar coating Manic noted.

If you haven't found this site already, you might want to check out this webpage:
Friends of the Hunley

I hope you will treat us with a build thread with loads of photos when you build the kit! This is definitely on my "to do" list!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Tar! That make sense. Thanks a lot guys. And thank you much for the link. I want to build that ever since I saw the Raising the Hunley program. But I'm still doing bate testing on my first model design. Don't know when I'll get to the Hunley.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
If I recall correctly, the hull as it sits in the conservation center down in Charleston is a very dark dull metallic gray. I think that most of the tar coating leached off the iron plates of the hull, but the pitch and other oil-like chemicals in tar probably infused into the iron. I'm no chemist, so that's conjecture.

I think it would depend on *when* you were building the model. As it was on launch, at the time of the engagement with the Housatonic, or after it had sat on the bottom for 160 years.

Please post pics of your build!
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Goodduck,

I have that one as well and it is on my eminent "to build soon" list. I like the scale, 1/25, overall competed size of the model and the fact that they furnish quite a bit of detail on it. I wouldn't let the overall black color throw you though, with all the rivet detail in lighter gray and the brass spar torpedo shell it offers a good looking display overall.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Ya, the black really throw me off. I open the kit and goes WHAT!? LOL! Now I know it is tar. I like the scale too. Now, if that come in 1/18 scale and weathering, that would be awesome.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM

Well, you could always scan it into the 'puter and blow it up for printing if getting even bigger is what floats your boat. Personally, I scanned mine and then reprinted the scans which sort of shrunk it down just a tad bit to about 1/28th to 1/30th scale. But that way I still have the original kit for future references.

I also have the ABC Kartonowe Models of the U Boot Hecht and Molch in the build stash. I like that they are also in 1/25. There are a few other small boat and ship models that I have found in that scale but by far I much prefer 1/200.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I hope to see the builds you all make of this kit, that would be fantastic!

As for me, I have scanned my copy as well, but am debating on whether I would be able to attempt a build in my usual standard scale of 1/600. I think the rivet details would be impossible to replicate, although I have done something similar using CAREFULLY placed dots of thick white glue, which if nothing else gives the impression of a raised rivet.

Certainly something to contemplate, though with the ongoing projects I would not expect to begin this one for a while....

If and when anyone does begin a build of this boat, kindly give us a heads up and perhaps a link in this thread, if I might be so bold as to suggest.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Hi Jim,

I am finishing off my Answer Models PC 553 kit right now. Once it is done I will be going on to the H L Hunley.

I was thinking of trying out a pounce wheel from behind on the sheets that have the rivet patterns to emboss them rather than do the White Glue dot thing. While White Glue does work, it is highly labor intensive.
Google Adsense