PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Battleship Main 1898

Ahoy

Here is a card kit you can,t find nowhere, I had this scince 1973 Cheniers ccardmodels I found a add in scalemodel magizine it had an article on this card kit it cost $1.00 back then pretty detailed for an old relic the scale of this thing is 1/350 printed in highly glossed paper cartdstock. the directions call for painting so i am going to do some scratch work on this thing I have another Battleship Main of 1898 in the Rc deppartment 7 foot. It is in the springhouse in back of my home. this kit is very unusual compared to the kits today so i will give this thing a whirle.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Battleship Main 1898-pict0012.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0013.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0014.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You're not actually building the original kit are you? You must be building a scan of it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
You're not actually building the original kit are you? You must be building a scan of it.
Ahoy
Yes sir I am building the original kit the kit comes in three pages two of them are parts and the other in yellow page is the instructions here below is the intire kit.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Battleship Main 1898-pict0013.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0014.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0015.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0016.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
yikes! so many peices, i might die! just kidding. dude, this thing is amazing,i can never find a paper battelship.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM

hull painting and assembly

Ahoy

In the begining of the build I done some concideration as to attack the kit most of the kit will be scratch built I am only useing the basic parts and from there on it will be scratch built. This is the smallest kit I every built only 10 inch,s long I will need magnifyers emergency eyeballs. I have the builders plans copies from the original builders of bath Iron works and my 7 foot model I will duplicate all the detail I can muster up on this little gem. The kit is acient by compareing the cardmo9dels that are on the market today this kit isn,t Polisg designed. I had no idea I had this kit all those years. I remember now how I obtained it, I got onboard the Queen Mary in long Beach California. I was still in the Navy there is a model and souvenier shop where you can buy memorabelia I also remembered they had a good supply of Wilhelshaven kits as well the cheniers kits went out of production durring the closeing of the 1970,s I first saw thye kit in scale modler magizine along with john Hathway kits. when I boarded the queen Mary I saw it sitting on the shelf I bought it for $ 1.00

The update of the kit first I mixed up a batch of water based teakwood paint useing tan white and touch of yellow, the cardstock is glossed covered alowing painting to be done. As you can see in the begining of the thread the kit is all white carstock material not very many parts I can only use a small portion of the parts the rest i will makie my own. Useing my airbrish I airbrushed the teakwood paint very lightly not to rid the deck printing useing my color pencils I filied down the shaveing of the color pencils useing tan yellow and white mixed them with water and airbrushed them on the supoerstructures. The color is buff The Maine was painted all white with buff durring her last years before she blew up in havanah Harbour. Here is Captain sigsbee,s Maine.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Battleship Main 1898-pict0001.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0002.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0003.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0004.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0005.jpg  

Battleship Main 1898-pict0006.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0007.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0008.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0009.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0010.jpg  

Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looking forward to your Maine!
Mike
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederico View Post
yikes! so many peices, i might die! just kidding. dude, this thing is amazing,i can never find a paper battelship.
Ahoy Frederico
thank you for your reply there are a few pieces to the kit not as many as most kits today. But fortunately I cant use them i will makie my own fittings and parts at this small scale i will have to become a brain surgeon but old boats can do it. thanks frederico.

Boats
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Looking forward to your Maine!
Mike
Ahoy mike
Thank you sir for your reply on the old Maine, your work is museum quality grade A work. Looks to be a fun build the kit allows you to explore on your own thanks isr for the reply.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU MIKE

Boats
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Construction of the Barbetts.

Ahoy here is the last update for trhe night, as to the update report on this oldie but goodie I turned to on the barbetts the barbetts are from the kit but the gun barrels I done myself I brought out my lathe and turned them painted them black and installed same done some color touch up as of now letting the model dry over night, as to the fitting of parts it is remarkable enought that there are no fit issues, I am happy happy sailor.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Battleship Main 1898-pict0011.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0012.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0013.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0014.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0015.jpg  

Battleship Main 1898-pict0016.jpg   Battleship Main 1898-pict0017.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Those gun barrels are great, they really help the kit.

Are they wood or metal?

Tim
Google Adsense