PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
It's a scratchbuild, roughly 3 inches long, and rather generic in style. The plans are from the book appropriately entitled "Ships in Bottles" by Don Hubbard. My copy of the book dates back to the '70s but it is still available. I'll be out of town this weekend through the next and thus need to get things in order tonight and tomorrow night. If you still want a picture I can provide one when I get back.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice folks are out there! I was lacking material on the Ann (or Anne) McKim to be sure about deck layout and details of forcastle ect, whether was open or covered, ect, so I called the Addison Museum of art in Mass and they took some pictures (without removing from the case ) and sent them to me! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning Virtually all the questions I had are answered with this , wow.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Well after an entire day of painting sanding, strengthening and sealing with ca glue when sanded too much, repeated, ect, and repeated, the hull is coming closer. I used card backing board, "chip board" from the back of a paper pad to glue between the formers, leaving enough to sand slightly back to formers. Glued in place with elmers, after drying overnight putty and paint, but found with sanding that the putty would be entirely removed and the junction between the former would begin to show some slight separation. I think this was because slight twist could still be induced in hull even after all glued up, so sealed the chip board former juntions with ca glue, and repeated the process although not any more putty applied yet. Surprising amount of elbow grease for a cardmodel and likely disagreeable to some, however, my hope is to have a perfectly smooth hull for planking and some type of coppering below waterline.
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1342.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1341.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1340.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
In pursuit of the smooth hull .......... I know the feeling Glen.
The second image shows you are nearly there.
Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
So far looking fine. The ship has fair lines and your following them well.
Best Regards,

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sorry to be coming in late to this fascinating build, Glen.

The framework is beautiful and you have achieved a very smooth hull.

I enjoyed reading the back story and am inclined to dip into my Chapelle collection.

Best wishes for success with this build.

Don
Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Yes indeed, how much work to smooth and shape to spend, it is a challenge as you know Mike.. I think you keep going until you're happy with it I guess...
Thanks Tappi, have not finished rigging the Tuft, but itching to build stuff as well..
Thanks for the encouragment Don! I have to say I obsess about the start of a new build...but is exciting to learn about things like this. Good luck with the Army Heritage Days event, it looks like a cool get together
Progess has now taken me to install the keel, the sternpost and working on the bow. The details of the bow are still hazy slightly, no gammoning it appears, too modern for that, and long fragile jib,yards as I do the math. Still in the overall shaping stage, certainly not refined work, lots of sighting along and attempts for symmetry. The open bow and deck allows one to see the windlass, the pawl bit post with the bowsprit coming to meet it at the appropriate angle. I think will have to make these parts to see what that angle will be.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Have been studying the work of some wood ship builds, am interested in trying to copper the hull. Since no expense in this so far, using supplies I had already about the shop, home, so I splurged and bought some copper foil tape used by the wood builders for coppering, from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. Now to figure out how to use it...the waterline needs marked on hull, to do this made a cradle that holds the hull pretty straight, and with a pencil on a block of wood resting the whole on a smooth flat table, went round and marked the waterline. The copper is applied in 3 separate rows that trim at the top, and most start at the rear and overlap slightly the next plate. The lowest row, to the "gore line" and the middle row, then a top trim row. Many apply rivet patterns to the copper, but I think not true to scale in 1/96, so not planning to do so. Some wood builders feel that is the case also for 1/64. The top row can be just one or two plates wide, the others can be in scale 8-12 plates thick. I probably wont be using quite to scale as I don't think I can cut the tape that thin is 1/4 inch already.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Work at the "shipyard" continues, still somewhat uncertain about coppering but can think about that for a bit yet...initially have started planking and then can trim up the bulwarks for the rail later, and think about gunports (she was a merchant vessel but carried some guns for show I guess) Lots to decide about the bow area as is depicted several ways, all of which differ...
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1366.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1368.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Glen, I really like to follow your building because you have the skill of a carpenter's true!.

Really good!

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Google Adsense