PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Jim,

I swear, you must have the Keebler Elves under contract! Those are some excellent small motor launches. I have been eyeballin' the two I have to build up for the Akizuki and they ain't gonna come close to the precision that you are demonstrating here. How did you make the railings for the bows?

Looking forward to your next installment.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I like the work you do on these small boats. You have a nice consistent technique that seems to work well. You are correct, there is alot of detail there that make them stand out nicely. Are these made with card or paper?
Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB

Jim, words fail me on these boats. Such precision!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys!

Michael, the boats are made out of card. I didn't scan the kit, so I'm just using the cardstock it was printed on...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
My Jim those are amazing. You are a fine minaturist(sp?)
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Sorry Jay, I forgot to answer your question. I used fine gauge beading wire and made the railing first. I glued that to the boat first with cheapo gel super glue. the I cut some more for the stanchions and glued them on. I made the stanchions too big and trimmed them with little scissors after they were dry. Pretty similar to the way I made the wire work on the funnels.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
I once read that the blast from a main turret of Yamoto if you were exsposed to it, would rip the skin from your body, and of course, you would be as dead as a door nail, if any of you were found. The HMS Rodney could not turn her main guns but so far toward the bridge, because the blast from those guns would wreck the bridge and all glass would be shattered. Not sure of material, that was the reason that the guns mounted on the MO were the size they were, limitations of firing if they were mounted any larger, and yes the good ole US Navy had guns as big as the Yamoto's:D, just were not mounted on any ship, believe were considered for the Montania Class BB? But the sad thing about all those big guns, no match for air dropped bombs!!!!!!! What else can be said about this build. You have shown what can be done w/o all the extras (PE/Laser Cut Parts), just good model skills. Many watch to see your methods, that includes me, and go on to improve their own builds, that is as good a honor as your likely to get. What do you intend for the future, noticed alot of ACC's mentioned, I for one would like to see what you could do with a classic planked hull, ie: USS Lexington, Model Ship Yard. Your friend Rick

Last edited by Papercut; 02-24-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
The mighty MO was too narrow hulled for a larger turret. She was built however with a higher muzzle velocity 16" gun than all previous US BB's. The Montana's would have carried 12 x 16 inch guns in the same tripple mounts as the Iowa's.

The U.S. and nobody else knew the Yamato's carried an 18" gun and did not know until after the war ended. The Japanese understood a BB with enough beam to carry an 18" gun would not pass through the Panama Canal.

Also, the Japanese were the first to truelly accept the aircraft carrier as the ultimate naval weapon of the day. Until the air units were all but wiped out, the carriers led all charges.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
The mighty MO was too narrow hulled for a larger turret. She was built however with a higher muzzle velocity 16" gun than all previous US BB's. The Montana's would have carried 12 x 16 inch guns in the same tripple mounts as the Iowa's.

The U.S. and nobody else knew the Yamato's carried an 18" gun and did not know until after the war ended. The Japanese understood a BB with enough beam to carry an 18" gun would not pass through the Panama Canal.

Also, the Japanese were the first to truelly accept the aircraft carrier as the ultimate naval weapon of the day. Until the air units were all but wiped out, the carriers led all charges.
Quotes taken from the following book: Iowa Class Battleship, Their Design, Weapons & Equipment, Robert F. Sumrall: A warship serves as a platform to carry its armament into combat. It exists for no other reason. The armament of the Iowa class is arguably the finest ever conceived and produced. The guns, their mountings and operating machinery were fashioned into a complex and sophisticated weapons system which after nearly half a century, is still the finest of its type afloat. The main armament of the Iowa class is the 16in/50cal Mark 7 gun. During the early-1938 studies which led to the Iowa class, the General Board seriously considered using the 18in/47cal gun developed by the Bu Ord during the 1920's. Although it did present some advantages, especially the penetration of plunging fire at extended ranges, the 16in/50cal was considered an all round better weapon. The 45,000 ton weight limit was taken seriously in the Iowa design, which mounting this weapon would increase this limit.
If the 18in caliber had been selected, a new lightweight 48cal and or 50cal would have been used, the 18in/47cal Mark A. This weapon would have mirrored the 16in/50cal Mark 7 design techniques with a 2,500ft/sec intial velocity for the 3,850 lb AP projectile rather than the 2,400ft/sec velocity as in a 18in/47cal Mark A. (EOC) I agree the design as built would not mount the weapon, but this could very well have been carried by this ship if redesigned to do so w/a smaller and lighter weapon, I agree no one knew that the Yamato carried this size gun, but they were not the only ones developing such a weapon platform. And from the research I have done on the Iowa design, there has not nor will be another like them. The design has stood the test of time and as I am aware, no other country today has been able to keep any of the mighty BB's they developed beyond what the 50's, scraped in the 60's. And as far as that Air Arm, I agree they used to the best of their ability, I believe they got the idea from watching a little demo put on by a unknown at the time, who showed that from the air a ship could be sunk. They just took what was demo'd and put to their use until they got a taste of the same from the Mighty US Navy and her Air Arm. Do not take me wrong, I believe the IJN at the time had some of the most advanced designs afloat, and the Yamoto is a testament to that. But I also feel that no other country has been able to put to sea the number and quality of ships that the United States Of America did that we still enjoy the freedom they fought for and died for. God Bless the USA. Sorry redhourse, did not mean to get so carried away with is answer. Your still tops!

Last edited by Papercut; 02-24-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Just for comparison, the blast overpressure numbers quoted exceed that of a 1kt nuclear weapon at about 100 metres. Or, FTM, a 10Mt blast at 15km. cite