PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Merry Xmas, Carl, looks like we will see CM launched soon. Have you been whittling away on Jackie's big barge design?
Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hey Fred. Well, yes, I was. I had done quite a bit and then, well, sort of lost my progress. It was a stupid me thing. I haven't yet reached the energy threshold to accomplish the redo. It would look nice at 1:100. heh.

Carl
Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work on those small steam boats. I know what you mean about several attempts to get those things right. I have more than a dozen of those on my current build, so I will probably build at least 40 before I get them right! Nice images. I like the way that big turret sits atop that sloping side between the two smaller ones. That old French warrior is looking proud.
Mike
Old 12-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Thank you all for the nice words. Here are some images of the progress that I have made. Then two 10m steam launches are not actually glued down yet.

CTsSFFMM (Commander Ted's Super Fault Finding Macro Mode) images maybe show too many of the warts in my building. But some of the details are difficult to notice without a little zooming. I particularly like the peculiar mushroom shaped ventilators that the French used. I designed them differently this time and they look much, much nicer.

Also note the binnacle behind the screen on the bridge. Those windows actually could carry glass panes, split in the middle and hinged on the sides. I did it without any attempt at "glass" for convenience.

The two 47mm guns on the spardeck level have peculiar mounts that I have not seen elsewhere. I would question their validity except that I looked an many photos, quite detailed ones, that Renaud provided and feel that they are a decent representation of reality. Curiously it appears that the tiny 37mm guns up above (not built yet) have the full slatted mount that was current on both French and British ships for 47mm and larger guns. BTW, the 37mm guns were all ripped out and replaced after not too much time after launch but I'm going for an early appearance.

The clearer photos that Renaud provided recently also showed me that the funnel trunks are squarish as they pass into the top deck below the spar deck. Unfortunately it was too late to fix it when I discovered the detail so I'll have to leave that to the next builder to get correct.

...and yes, the gun barrels are rolled out of HP Bright White paper. I can't get them to look right by sanding toothpicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Carl's build thread or I'm not hiding my ball I'm building Charles Martel-pc270004k.jpg   Carl's build thread or I'm not hiding my ball I'm building Charles Martel-pc270005k.jpg   Carl's build thread or I'm not hiding my ball I'm building Charles Martel-pc270006k.jpg  
Old 12-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Run out of words Carl looks like it will get steam up and sail off the page.

Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh man!! I don't have many words left either...
Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Don't worry Golden Bear. Your work can handle "Super Macro Mode".
The more close up shots I see the better. Nothing like a good long holiday weekend to get stuff done. Lot's of progress going on here.
Mike
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I can see the binnacle through the bridge windows!

Don
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM

I wanted to make certain that you saw it there, Don!

Now as a real sea-type person, can you tell me why it had the red and green balls marking port and starboard?

Also, I'm redesigning and rebuilding the main turrets. They just don't seem quite right.

Carl
Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I will repeat myself - GREAT WORK!!!
As for the green/red balls - my guess is so they can be easier to remember which oneis which.
BTW what's a "binnacle"? You can easily see that I'm not a sailor :o
Google Adsense