PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline

OK, I have taken the plunge and I have actually started a build. It has been a long while, so forgive my crude build skills.

The ship.
The CSS George Page was a side wheel paddle wheeler laid down for the US Quartermasters department and built in 1853. Oddly, although built in the 1850s, she used a "square head" style steam engine that by that time had already become "old fashioned", most side wheelers of the mid century having the new walking beam engine. The Ship was just over 140 feet long and was powered by two rather large paddle wheels. Captured by the Rebels in 1861, she was altered and fitted out as a gun boat, carrying two cannon. It seams that some of the after upper works were removed to make room for the aft gun and all bulwarks and railings were done away with to allow for the clearance of the cannon. In July 1861 she was damaged by cannon fire from a Union gunboat. By March of 1862, she was force to be abandoned by her crew and set aflame. This ship is typical of the little converted gunboats used in large numbers by both sides during the war.

The Kit.
This is number 48 in the CT's Paperclad series and is in the typical 1/250 scale waterline. The kit comes in six pages, a cover page, two instructions pages, two parts pages, and a page listing the other kits in the series. It is explained in the cover page that many details of the original ship in Confederate service are lost, so items like gun type are guess work! One interesting feature shown in a period drawing is a wicker work type fence around the upper works, and this is reproduced in the kit, replacing the simple railing or life line.

The build.
I begin. The hull goes nice but the bottom most former or guide is off a bit in the back. The deck and sponsons fit well, although I got a bit of a warp in my build do to trying to build it to quick! The simple printed boxes that represent the paddle wheels look ok, actually better then I thought they would, but for a more accurate builder replacing these with actual paddles and framing would be easy using the printed parts as a guide.

I am now starting on the deck house and upper works. I will have pictures today of the build. (my wife can show me how to work her camera!) The engine has a lot of little parts! How do you guys build these things with out going insane!

Over all, I am happy so far. If I can get this to build into something not too embarrassing, y'all who really build should be able to make this little kit shine!

More soon. I am committed now.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-1css-george-page-cover1.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-2-css-george-page-instructions.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-3-css-george-page-instructions.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-5-css-george-page-ship-parts-2.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-css_george_page.jpg  

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great that you have been able to do some building. Must feel good to get your fingers covered in glue again!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Corey,
It was fun to read about your plunge back into building.
Kit number 48? That is amazing.

Mike
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Great that you're building, Corey! (I thought I'd be too, by now, but I'm still reduced to meddling in other's projects.)
A very nice supplement to this build is John M. Coski's Capital Navy - an in-depth overview of the James River Squadron. Well worth it.
'duster
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys!
Well, almost done and today I will have the long awaited pictures up. I am happy with the overall build. Some of the parts are a real pain and I apologize to all you model builders out there who I put through some serious anguish while making those dang bits, anchors and raised hatches. Some things are just small at 1/250 scale! I stole some chain off of a boat model that got eaten by one of the cats so I have anchor chains! I have decided to take it up a notch and attempt my CSS Selma next. So, OK, pictures next!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Here a a couple of quick shots of progress so far. I have not added the guns yet or the front top railing. A few other details are in the works. But it is coming along. I will get some better quality shots next time. I miss having a camera that doesn't make me feel like an idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00191.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00192.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Looking good Corey. Must be nice to be posting pictures of an actual build rather than a design image!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Corey,

The Page really looks good. Keep posting even if that camera's giving you fits.

Mike
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

OK, about done. Or don. I haven't decided. I have the boats to go yet.

Well, lots of rookie errors along the way. But it was good to build again...
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00194.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00195.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00196.jpg   CSS George Page build, 1/250 waterline-dsc00197.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
Lookin' good. Great job on the guns.
Google Adsense