PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Excellent work, Mike. I'm always impressed by anyone who can roll consistently clean paper tubes to a standard dimension.

All of your work is very high quality.

Don
I have about 49 of those things to go. I'm afraid my consistency remains to be seen. But Thanks Boosed.
Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
Just echoing the other sentiments... very nice work. I especially appreciate your effort to make all the posts out of rolled paper (card?). I try to do that myself but occasionally find myself forced either to use wire or reinforce with wire because the posts are too long and need to support weight. I always like to try making as much as possible out of paper. Good job, man.

Carl
Yes, it is ironic that just when I run out of solutions to some engineering problem, I think of paper! Thanks Goldenbear.
Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
You are at about the same stage my Oslabya was when I set it aside (for reasons now forgotten.) Seeing your superb build has gotten me worked up again so I think I'll have to look through the CDs and find the big O again.

Well, I am certainly looking forward to seeing your project get a new start. Glad I could provide some motivation.
Mike
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM
POTM Moderator

As some progress has been made, I am able to provide some images of the current state of this build. I went below the waterline and installed the propellers I have remade. I decided to gamble and try something different. Instead of using the glossy brass (Testors 1182) I had used on my first two builds, I mixed some yellow and brown to attempt to approximate the tone of brass. The idea is to get a “flat” finish more in line with the color format of the whole model. I like the result. However, your comments pro and con are welcome. Other progress includes the fixture of the quarterdeck to the hull frame along with installation of the aft main barbette. Also, as you can see, I am test fitting the primary section of the aft mast along with the forward section of the main deck over the bow.
The decks were made by printing them onto 22lb paper, then laminating that to 65lb cardstock. I find the laminating process lends itself to nice cutting, and proves to be excellent material for punching round (or square) holes.
So she goes, slow and steady.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-oslabya-update-full-view.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-oslabya-update-main-deck.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-oslabya-update-propellers.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-oslabya-update-quarterdeck.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Hey Michael... I think you made a wise choice going that route on the prop color. It's much more fitting for this era model as well.

I'm guilty as anyone of whipping out the gold-flake acrylic and having the infamous gold props...

I think this looks much more realistic. You might even consider using dry-brushed acrylic (darker browns and earth colors) to weather your props?
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I for one think props for your props. I hate to take another guys idea, but I will if it suits my need for detail, and your props are just such, worth copying. Again another tip for a more realistic finish. You get the BIG OLE GRIN for that one.:D:D:D Oh yea, that ship ain't too shabby either, I know, my Ma said don't say ain't. You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the boy!

Last edited by Papercut; 01-08-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
POTM Moderator

Thanks for the good words gentlemen.
Mike
Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Your paint blends much better with the other textures then the glossy brass would. I like the suggestion of just a touch of weathering on them, because I think they could be toned down just a bit more.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's certainly a nice clean build and a pleasure to behold.

Don
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
POTM Moderator

Oslabya Build - Update

Some of you would know better than I, but my guess is, by weight, the hull is approx 90% of the ship. Now in the middle of my third full-hull build, this student is beginning to realize the importance of getting it straight. The hull has to look right, so I am taking my time on that score. These images show progress to date. The main decks have been attached to the upper hull frame. The forward barbette and anchor bays have been installed. Also, I have included a close-up of the first work with portholes. They are located on a walled section that will be covered by the aft part of the main deck. I decided to put a little extra work into them, since they are the forerunners of many more to come. I count at least 50 on each side going from just below the main deck all the way down to the waterline. I plan to give them all similar treatment. The lower mast sections you see are being test-fit, and are removable.

Its terrific watching the great boats you guys are putting together.
Thanks for the motivation.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm31-jan-14-014-stern.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm32-jan-14-015-bow.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm33-jan-14-016-closeup.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm30-jan-14-009-portholes.jpg  
Google Adsense