PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-06-2022, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Talking Treenails

Ahoy!

Thanks Mike for the contribution.
The difference in the Mayflower and this vessel is indeed large. I try to do all my models in the (some say masochistic) scale 1:100cm to have a comparison of the various vessel's sizes.

Short news from the shipyard:

I managed to apply all the foil needed to cover the hull. Then I decided to try and imitate some treenails.
Now, some here might be of the opinion that this is completely unnecessary and too much for a model in scale 1:100 cm – I totally understand and think similar, but…This model is a try out of what goes and what not to improve my own skills, so I thought, why not? Either I totally screw it or (like Tapcho told me) I totally nail it!

Tree nails were maybe an inch in diameter or even a bit more for the bigger ships. This would convert to a diameter of 0.25mm in this scale. I use an “old trick” of imitating the treenails by punching a “ring” into the foil with a grain punching tool. I use for that a medicine syringe needle (you can get them for free in the pharmacy here). This way of imitating tree nails in planks is from wooden ship modeling and I just try it out here with the foil. The sharp tapered front part of the needle has been cut (I had to use the back side of the needle anyway because the cutting squeezed the tiny metal tube too much) and I use the back side of it (pic.1) together with my old ship modellers knife I got when I was eight from my neighbor (a good ship and building wood modeler). This knife is not so sharp so I use it to cut the plank butts – the end of the planks every about 4.8cm or so for the (hopefully) nice plank pattern.

Tree nails also had a certain way of how they were arranged, depending on the thickness of the planks. Picture 2 shows a scheme taken from the ship modeling book by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. I used the pattern for planks wider than 11’’ (or about 28cm).
So I started from the middle of the ship (pic 3) and did not count exactly the tree nails I pinched, but thus far (approximate count) there is more than 3080 already, and I just managed to do one side of the lower hull. So my guess is there will be some over 10 000 pinched tree nails in total…

I checked, which paint for altering the foil would be better (pic 4) and chose the brown (burned umber) option this time. In the Mayflower I used black oil paint, which was nice, too.

One problem with the pinching is that the foil tends to bend at the plank butts (pic 5), so I had to lift them all a bit and glue back in place with a tiny drop of CA (pic 6). One way around it would be to cut stripes from the foil that are as long as the hull and cut the plank butts later, but then the variety in plank color and pattern is not as high.

Pictures 7 to 11 show the result thus far after painting. I am satisfied with the result, it is not totally screwed, but rather looks more like nailed to me..

Now the paint is almost dry and I can continue with the rest of the hull…

So much for now,

Rgds,
Radek

…Agosto Anno Domini 1669…

…Knock…Knock…Knock…Knock, Knock…!!
...sounded the hammering from the shipyard, as the workers diligently hammered the treenails into the outer hull planks.

-Why do I have to hammer along with the common workers, complained the young apprentice Antonio Iturribálzaga Gaztañeta: …I can’t feel my arm anymore…!
And turning to a diligent worker nearby, he shouted: Hey, Pancho! How many treenails do we still need to hammer??

The at first intimidated worker looked surprised, but taking a glimpse at the amused faces of Radék de la Sol de la Santa Cruz and his visitor Tapanillo Giovanni Cassini, he just burst out in laughter and replied:

My honored señor Gaztañeta, we hammered so far a bit over 3000 nails and we just so managed to cover one in a fourth of the whole of the Neptune! You will need soon a new pair of arms, ha ha ha!

Radék and Tapanillo joined in the hearty laughter, while the young apprentice grumpily turned back to his assigned part of the ship and continued to hammer even more furiously!

-Hah, the anger will make him strong, and he will hopefully learn a thing or two about the curves of the ship and the secret of good planking. Come, Tapanillo, let’s have a glass of the wine you brought from Europe, I have important news I’d like you to deliver to the governor of Panama – not so good news…

For Radék received a message from Miguél De Nevado Norte regarding an impending raid by Henry Morgan and his growing crew on the city of Panama, and wanted the message of warning to be delivered there by a trustworthy man.

-I have therefore good news… said Tapanillo after sipping some of the good red wine on the terrace at Radék’s domicile, from where one could overlook the beautiful, turquoise colored water and golden sand of the coast as well as the shipyard, the knocking of hammering the treenails clearly audible from the distance...

-I have news regarding the vicious pirate François l'Olonnais. That sacrilegious bastard is no more! After his failing attempts to raid the Spanish Main at San Pedro Sula, much to the thanks of the ambushes by the brave Spanish soldiers, when he swore “Mor’ dieu, les bougres d’Espagnols me le payeront!” (God’s death, the Spanish blackguards will pay for this!), he got so obsessed with payback that it led to his downfall in a most cruel and desecrated way. Surely his soul burns forever in hell!

-Tell, tell, dear Tapanillo. What happened? Asked Radék, wanting to hear more about one less worry for the Spaniards in the Caribbean.

-As you know, not long ago he captured the wealthy Spanish galleon ‘La Salutación de la Virgen’, but the loot was just paper and some old wine. This led his discouraged companions Mozes Van Klijn and Pierre le Picard to quit his company. Not only that, but his Spanish prize was such a heavy sailor, it ran aground near the Pearl Islands and he was forced to live ashore in the Nicaragua. His crew tried to build a longboat, but, not being skillful shipwrights, they made the vessel too small, ha ha!

-Not easy being a shipwright, lots of treenails to hammer, can tell you that! Ha ha!

-Yes, them pirates were too lazy to make enough so they shortened the vessel, ha ha ha…
And after taking another sip of the good and smooth wine he continued.
-So, attempting to steal some more boats near the San Juan River, they were beaten by the Spaniards once again and forced to retreat into the Jungle. And there his small band was attacked by some native savages. The only survivor, captured by the Spaniards, still white like a fresh sheet of sails and totally mad in his mind from the cruel experience told them that “L’Olonnais was hacked to pieces and roasted limb by limb…”

-He truly got what he deserved (pic 12), a taste of his own medicine, which turned to be poison in the end… Said Radék with a mixed feeling of an upset stomach and satisfaction that there would be no more brutal raids on the Spanish Main by this inhumane pirate creature anymore…”
Attached Thumbnails
Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_131.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_wzmondfeld_planking.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_133.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_132.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_134.jpg  

Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_135.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_136.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_137.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_138.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_139.jpg  

Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_140.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_francais_l_olonais_cigarette_card.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 03-06-2022, 02:10 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
It is always interesting to watch builders experiment with new ideas.
You totally nailed it. I think the “tree nail” technique is very effective.
It seems the pieces of foil that came loose were easily repaired.
Obviously, it required a lot of patience, but the effort was worthwhile.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-13-2022 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 03-08-2022, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I had a sneak peek of this on our 'private channel' wih RdK and I still think this looks fantastic. Good work, I'm liking this a lot.

Tappi
Old 11-13-2022, 02:17 AM

Talking ...The Saga continues...

Hi there!

It is time again to re-open the shipyard and continue the saga of the famous build of the pirate ship Neptune, as the days here are again getting shorter, darker, and colder…

Seeing Tomek’s awesome build of De 7 Provincien inspired me to continue my own build of the Neptune.
I managed to pinch all the treenails, alter the hull with brown (burned umber) oil paint and get all the wales ready. So far, I glued them on the starboard side and continue with the larboard. Here just a small post of the progress thus far, I will explain things in the next post.

Progress is slow but steady. Thanks everyone for sticking with me!

Rgds,
Radek

…Septiember Anno Domini 1669…

-Get up, Antonio! There’s another dutch ship in the bay! This time it is the ‘De Zeven Provinciën’, build in 1664-65 by the famous master shipbuilder Zeehorseen Janszoon van den Tomek!

The ship was indeed impressive in size and beauty (pic.5) and was the flagship of Admiral Michel de Ruyter, who so famously humiliated the English during the Second Anglo-Dutch War, at the Four Day Battle and the Raid on the Medway.
Inspired by the sight, Radék de la Sol de la Santa Cruz de Brazíl continued working hard on the Neptune, wondering what the purpose of the dutch visit meant...

Of course, modern day historians got it all wrong again, and accredited the ship to have been build not by Zeehorseen Janszoon van den Tomek, but through some misfortunate misspelling in old documents to Salomon Janszeen van den Tempel. Also, the visit to the West Indies was falsely set to the year 1674, after the Third Anglo-Dutch War, instead, as it was witnessed by Radék de la Sol in 1669, ...before the War…”
Attached Thumbnails
Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn-141.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn-142.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn-143.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn-144.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sng_the_dutch_ship_zeven_provincien-_by_willem_van_de_velde_the_elder.jpg  

Old 11-13-2022, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
It's amazing what you do Radek, my compliments.
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2022, 08:59 AM
POTM Moderator

The saga continues

“…Septembris Anno Domini 1669…

“SENHOR MIGUÉL . . . . SENHOR MIGUÉL . . . . WE CAN SEE IT . . . THE SHIPYARD OF RADÉK DE LA SOL DE LA SANTA CRÚZ DE BRAZIL !!! “

Hearing the call coming loudly from one of the trabalhadores in the crow’s nest, high atop the main mast. From below, I rushed up to the top deck and peered excitedly toward the west.
And there it was. I could see it was glorious. The silhouette against the orange setting sun of the great galleon Neptune.

“PREPARE THE LANCHA!” I called out.

With the trabalhadores rowing, we tied up to the dock, just as Radék De La Sol De La Santa Crúz De Brazil hurried out to greet us with his entourage and his young apprentice Antonio Iturribálzaga Gaztañeta following quickly.

“Welcome to Olinda Senhor Miguél!! . . . Praise the Saints you had a safe journey!” called out Radék De La Sol. “Indeed Praise the Saints our voyage from Rio De Jaruco was without incident . . . we encountered neither pirates nor huracán.” replied Senhor Miguél. “The rumors were everywhere that you were building the most glorious symbol of the old Spanish naval power that ever sailed on the seven seas . . . I had to come and see for myself . . . with my own eyes! God help me . . . I am astonished by the skill.”

As Miguél and Radék examined the hull, Miguél exclaimed: “The edges are all smoothly joined and the lines and curves of the hull could not be finer. I see you employed the best carpenters on the Portuguese Main! . . The abhorrant French and English will be surprised by this one!! Ho Ho Har Har.” Radék De La Sol tipped his hat to Miguél and said: “You honor me my old friend. This is the ship building season, and we intend to make great progress. However . . . tonight will be for CARNIVAL!

“ANTONIO!!” called out Radek, “Break open a barrel of my famous self brewed rum. It is time for CELEBRATION!” With that, the fires were lit for roasting pigs, and the Dancers and Entertainers began cavorting with the Shipwrights, Carpenters and Trabalhadores . . . .

………..tbc …………..

Miguél De Nevado Norte

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-17-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Fine work Radek, pleasure to follow this build.

Tappi
Old 11-29-2022, 03:31 AM

Talking …Spying on another model…

Hi everyone!

Thanks Ab! Do you mean the build or how I twist the history in this thread? ��
Thanks Mike for the extra story!
And thanks Tappi, glad you like it!

I am procrastinating the making of the guns, because they are quite repetitive and tedious work…

So meanwhile I was wondering how to make the keel for the Neptune and found inspiration from a book of a famous 17th century model of a Dutch two-decker ship, which Ab gave me once. Thank you again, Ab! By the way, this will be my next project. ��
I made the keel parts from three 2mm thick cards glued together with white glue, taped with the self-adhesive foil, and altered with burned umber oil paint.
And so I managed to get the keel, at least in parts, based on some pictures from the Nuestra Senora de la Conception y de las animas as well as the plans of the two-decker and a few templates (see pic 1 to 4). For the lower part I will need to install two plugs for the cables, so I wait with taping it until the ordered parts arrive and describe more in a later post.

Meanwhile I tried to make some of the ornament ring decorations around the gun ports from baking clay. But first a short description of how I made the wales:
Using semi-transparent baking paper, I traced the lines (pic 5), so I get the right curvature of the wales, then I made some templates first, tried them and corrected where necessary and drew new ones (pic 6). The upper most ones have a relief, which I tried to mimic by gluing tiny strips of thinner card and cover them all in the self-adhesive foil, which I painted then black (pic 7). It did not go according to plan, and next time for such wales with a relief I think I will leave out the foil. The wale at the back of the ship I made also from a pizza box card with self-adhesive foil. The many nails on it I imitated with burned umber oil paint (pic 8).

Back to the baking clay (bake for half an hour at 150 degrees centigrade):
I could not make such nice ornaments (pic 9 and 10) from sculpturing the clay, it is all somehow too small. So, I made a template from tiny wires twisted together (3 times 3 wires) and paper (pics 11 to 13), hardened with superglue (CA) and made a negative form, which I then used to do all the 16 rings. Eight additional rings are a bit bigger. These I did by also first make a negative template with the metal-ring and some pointy tool. Then I painted them all with a gold marker and altered a bit with turpentine-diluted black oil paint (see pics 14 to 18). Unfortunately, the turpentine also dissolves the gold paint, so it was all a bit tricky. I did alter it because I did not like the pure shiny golden color.
This was a good practice in clay sculpturing, but the real difficulty lies ahead with all the figurines and ornaments of the stern…

So much for now.
Rgds,
Radek

...Sieptembre anno domini 1669…

- FIRE! …shouted the commander of the militia, and the cannons, which Miguél De Nevado Norte brought along to Olinda filled the air with white smoke and a rolling thunder!!

…Such was the custom to welcome an honored guest such as the legendary admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter (pic 19).
- What a wonderful thunder and sight! …said the admiral with a deep and formidable voice while inspecting the beautiful 36-pounders made with the special recipe from Miguel’s metallurgico Dominic De La Armas De Hierro. - We will take them all!

-But how did you get to know about these weapons, señor Admiraal? That they have been delivered to Olinda? Asked Miguel de Nevado Norte.

- We have our network of… intelligence investigators… and the story of the defeat of the pirate Henry Morgan at the Gulf of Venezuela reached our honorable regent Johan de Witt, so he ordered me straight away to get as many of these as my flotilla can carry, for war is approaching against our common foes, the English and the French! …said the admiral.

- Spies everywhere…murmured Radék de la Sol de Brasil.

Indeed, the great admiral did his trip to the Caribbean to get the cannons as a secret mission, so secret, it has never been discovered by historians, who later commonly described that Michiel de Ruyter was ordered to be under house arrest by the leader of the Dutch republic himself, Johan de Witt, after the second Anglo-Dutch War until the beginning of the third Anglo-Dutch war, for fear he might get injured or even loose his life! So important was the admiral for his countrymen, a true living legend due to his achievements in the previous wars…

- Well, considering that we fight the common foe, and señor Radék is willing to wait a bit longer for his shipment of cannons, I am willing to trade them to the republic…agreed the master shipwright Miguél De Nevado Norte… - And it was a wise decision of señor Johann de Witt to send you away from home after the failed attempt on your life by such a treacherous Tromp supporter, may he rot in hell for his deeds!

Yes, after a misfortunate decision in the St James Day battle, the Dutch fleet lost a considerable amount of ships, which loss Michiel de Ruyter attributed to Cornelis Tromp’ ignoring his commands. Tromp’ brother-in-law Johan Kievit published his version of the events, and the whole issue split the Netherlands so much that a fanatic Tromp supporter almost succeeded in an assassination attempt on the legendary admiral! Later it was discovered that Johan Kievid was plotting with the enemy King Charles II of England and he was sentenced to death, but due to a good network of spies, only in absentia for he managed to flee the country…Spies everywhere!

- How did you know?!…asked the admiral in surprise.

-We have our own share of ...intelligence operatives…said señor Miguel.

- Spies everywhere…murmured Radék de la Sol de Brasíl.

…After the departure of The Seven Provincien and the convoy she escorted back to Europe, a man covered in mud carrying a big empty goat-back on his back suddenly appeared on the shore…

- Did you get a good look at the ornaments and the underwater hull as well as the keel of the Dutch two-decker? ...asked Radék.

-Sí señor! And I took all the measurements that you wished for as well.

- But how…asked Miguél and as suddenly as he started the sentence, he stopped and murmured with a laughter… Spies everywhere! Ha ha!...
...”
Attached Thumbnails
Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_hollandse_tweedekker_project.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_145.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_146.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_147.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_148.jpg  

Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_149.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_150.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_151.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_cannon_ornament1.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_cannon_ornament2.jpg  

Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_152.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_153.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_154.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_155.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_156.jpg  

Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_157.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_158.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_159.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn_de_heer_michiel_adriaensz_ruyter.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-29-2022 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 11-30-2022, 07:33 PM
POTM Moderator

Viaje A Vera Cruz

“…Septiember Anno Domini 1669…”

Excerpts from “El Comunicado” sent to Radék de la Sol de Santa Crúz de Brazil…

I hope my friend, this letter finds you well and prosperous.

Since we departed Olinda, and after the first shipment of your cannons was purchased by the esteemed admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter during our visit, our trusted metalúrgico, Dominic De La Armas De Hierro informed me it would be necessary to travel to Vera Cruz, on the coast of New Spain to secure additional supplies of iron ores to make more guns for Neptune. And . . . so I agreed.

Crossing the Sea of New Spain, we encountered no pirates and no huracán.
As the Barlovento Armada was stationed at Vera Cruz for some years, for additional defense against pirates, we were confident of a safe arrival.

We sailed into the harbor of Vera Cruz under the shadow of the great Castle Fortress of San Juan de Ulúa. After disembarking, Dominic seemed to know where he was going through the dark dusty streets, so I followed till we stopped in front of a building with a sign above the door that read:

Casa De Metales – Entrar a su propio riesgo.

Before he could knock on the door, I grabbed Dominic by the shoulder and said with some alarm:

“Wait . . . are you certain we should enter such a place?” Dominic replied: “Yes, yes Senhor Miguél . . . it will be fine. This is where we will get the necessary materials.”

Dominic knocked several times before a tiny hunched-over woman answered the door. In a low raspy voice, barely audible the woman whispered:

“I am Maritza . . . the housekeeper . . . please enter Senhores.”

The room was dimly lit and contained many Dutch artifacts, pottery and other such objects. Maritza directed us to sit at a large oak table in the center of the main room, before she disappeared into the rear of the building.

Before long, from a corridor to the right, came a huge bear-like man, with a long light-colored beard, tall wide brimmed hat and two Ornate Double Barrel Elephant Pistoles hanging at his sides. Taking a seat on the opposite side of the table, he gave us a long piercing look. Then in a deep resonating voice he said: "I be Nikolaas Van Hoorn ………. Here in Vera Cruz they call me Klaas El Sucio Traficante De Metales".

“So strangers . . . speak up . . . who are you?”

“I am Miguél De Nevado Norte, and this is my associate, Dominic De La Armas De Hierro” I replied.

He put his hand on one of his elephant pistoles, shaking his head, and said: “Arrrr . . . I aint never heard of you! . . . god help you . . . I don’t do business with strangers! Why you be lookin for my ore rocks damm you?”

I cautiously replied: “We are making many various armaments for the galleon being built by Radék de la Sol de Santa Crúz de Brazil at Olinda for the Spanish Queen Consort Mariana of Austria” …….

Suddenly he interrupted and jumped out of his chair and roared: “Arrrrr . . . Har Har Har . . . now you be talkin sense stranger . . . I know Radék de la Sol. We all know Radék de la Sol !!!

With that he turned toward the room in the back and called out: “Maritza . . . Maritza . . . bring out some of Radek’s rum for me and the two strangers. Perhaps we be makin a deal. The strangers want to give us some of the King's gold for some of our iron rocks.”

I don’t know where he got your rum, but praise the saints for that. It required half the night and near a barrel of rum, but we finally made a deal for a load of iron ores. Now the work on your guns will continue. ( . . . and indeed it is generally known that Radek’s Rum trades widely on the black market . . . beneath the noses of the Spanish authorities!)

Later I said to Dominic: “I did not know we were coming to Vera Cruz to do business with a Pirate!!! Had I known” . . . “No, no Senhor Miguél,” he replied. “That man is not a pirate, but rather, a buccaneer.”

Siempre tu viejo aliado,
Miguél De Nevado Norte

………………tbc……………..

( Note: The difference between Pirates and Buccaneers has long since been forgotten by historians. As the Pirates at that time were considered blood thirsty raiders. Although the Buccaneers were interested in making money, and not inclined to raid. However, they were also known for doing business with Pirates and funding pirate operations, as long as it put gold in their pockets. )

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-01-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:02 PM
POTM Moderator

Where is Radék de la Sol?

“…Octubre Anno Domini 1669…”

Here in the wilds of Rio De Jaruco, work continues to manufacture the various pieces of armament needed for the galleon being built by Radék de la Sol de Santa Crúz de Brazil at Olinda for the Spanish Queen Consort Mariana of Austria” …………….

However . . . . an “El Comunicado” from Radék de la Sol’s trusted young apprentice José Antonio de Gaztañeta was received today. It conveyed disturbing news as follows:

“Esteemed Senhor Miguél De Nevado Norte:
I am motivated by fear to report to you that we here at Olinda, have not seen or heard from my respected master Radék de la Sol de Santa Crúz de Brazil for several weeks. We begin to be concerned for his safety.”

God Forbid. . . . Pirates? Spies? Buccaneers? . . . Indeed, we have not heard from Senhor Radek for quite some time!

What are we to make of this news? I rushed out of my office to seek advice from one of my most trusted associates . . . El Observador De Aves . . . also known as Glen De Los Pájaros Montaña.

“You know, Senhor Miguél”, began Glen upon hearing the news, “Senhor Radek was associating himself with a few unusual characters. Indeed the secret mission of admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter was no doubt reported to unfriendly participants. Perhaps the French and English wish to thwart the construction of the great galleon Neptune”. “Spies everywhere” I murmured. Glen continued: “We also are aware Senhor Radek conducted at least one secret meeting with the She-Pirate, Jacquotte Delahaye . . . from the French Quarter of Hispaniola!!!. This introduces many possibilities. But I tell you Senhor Miguél”, Glen continued, “if you wish, I will undertake an assignment, with the help of a pair of trabalhadores, to the lush Brazilian Selva. If Senhor Radek is there . . . with the help of the saints . . . you know . . . I will find him.”

“Yes . . yes . . . por supuesto” I replied. “Excellente . . . And I know of another old ally that may help”.

So, I hastily composed a letter to the Colonel.
Then I called out to my aide . . . “QUICKLY, QUICKLY OBRERO MATEO . . . QUICKLY DELIVER THIS LETTER TO COLONEL DON DEL VALLE DE CUMBERLAND and his Spanish garrison at Habana! Perhaps the Colonel can dispatch operatives to help discover what has become of Radék de la Sol de Santa Crúz de Brazil!!

…………………tbc………………

Miguél De Nevado Norte

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-10-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Google Adsense