PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.62 MB
The number of port shutters in not that obvious. Here are some remarks from "C.S. Ironclad Virginia and U.S. Ironclad Monitor With Data and References for Scale Models" by Sumner B. Besse (pp. 27-29)

PORT SHUTTERS

The following quotations have been included, not to confuse the reader, but to show the difficulty in determining the truth about the number of port shutters that were actually installed.

Before the Battle

1. The port-holes, of her bow and stern guns (six in all, three at each end of the shield) were protected by shutters on the 8th and 9th of March. The other port-holes, eight in number, were not.

2. SIR: Three white men (one of them accompanied by his wife and two children) were picked up last night by the Baltimore. They were in a boat and had, as they say, escaped from Norfolk. One of them has been working for a long time past in the Gosport Navy yard. He describes the Merrimack as being off the yard, with a large gang of men working upon her, day and night, fitting shutters to all her side ports. She has always had them, he says, to her end ports.

3. He [Commodore Buchanan] stated that two of the Virginia's guns had been disabled, and that a third (the bow gun) would have been dis-abled also but for its port cover, which shows indentations by two cannon shot.

4. . . . the whole of the pivot and broadside ports can be closed in action, by means- of shields, made of 3 inch iron, they are on the outside and are worked from within by means of small chains.

5. She was fitted with four inch, hammered iron, port shutters on her four quarter ports, but had no shutters to her other ports. They were madein two pieces and closed like a pair of shears. She made her first fight however before they were put on.

After the Battle

6. Captain Tattnall was considering what he should do with the Merrimack. She was drawing too much water to go in the James, but thought he would take her to Port Royal where he said he knew of a good harbor, and directed me [Porter] to have a strong set of port bucklers made and fitted with bars and lanyards to be used in case he took her outside for that pur-pose, but he never took them out of the carpen-ter's shop, having as I supposed changed his mind for various reasons.

7. . . . But I regret that we could not fit the remainder of the iron covers for the ports, or render, for want of time four of the six originally fitted, available in action.

8. On the 5th of April the following report was made by the constructor: Put on yesterday 41 plates ; in all on, 432. Fitting broadside port shutters.

9. In short, the ship has gone down [the river] with everything done for her that was required, except putting on her port shutters and the iron below her waterline, which was partially finished. The broadside ports are now in hand ; and were only required on the 3d at least I never heard that they were intended to be put on until that date. The commodore, on the morning of that day, spoke to me of them and expressed a wish to have them fitted. I put them in the smith shop forthwith to be fitted up. Each shutter has be adjusted to its respective port. We finished those for the head and stern ports and they worked satisfactorily, and were going on with the bow, quarter, and broadside shutters when the ship was undocked.

10 . . . the two port shutters repaired.

11 Improved shot had been furnished her, and when, on April 4th, she emerged from the dock, she was a complete vessel, with the exception of her port shutters, eight in number, which had not been fitted to her.

12. Her shutters were of hammered iron, four inches thick. . .

The conclusion from an analysis of the above is that there were certainly three port covers at the forward end, fashioned out of 3 or 4 inch hammered iron and operated by chains from the inside. They were made in two halves and closed like a pair of shears.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Great design renditions.
It would be fun to watch you do some work in the cutaway configuration.
Mike
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Complements on a fine rendition.
Lep
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
Thank you sir

You really think so, I could do that as it is not a killer to document this small section, not sure there is that great an interest in Civil War models though... Let me know your feelings on this...
Hello Mike,

Have you checked the number of hits for this posting......in only 8 days, also the comments continue. The interest in ACW is still there......!!!

My main reason for joining the forum was the interest in ACW watercraft and think it will continue to be of great interest to a number of builders.

I will continue following this post......beautiful work!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Will
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Awesome! I love it.
CT
Thanks Ct glad you dropped in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Great design renditions.
It would be fun to watch you do some work in the cutaway configuration.
Mike
Thanks Mike, right now I am finishing up a scratch sectional build of the Constitution in wood, so will get to the sectional of the Virginia soon, I really like the area in the center It has a lot of interesting things going on, so soon ....
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazziga View Post
The number of port shutters in not that obvious. Here are some remarks from "C.S. Ironclad Virginia and U.S. Ironclad Monitor With Data and References for Scale Models" by Sumner B. Besse (pp. 27-29)....

The conclusion from an analysis of the above is that there were certainly three port covers at the forward end, fashioned out of 3 or 4 inch hammered iron and operated by chains from the inside. They were made in two halves and closed like a pair of shears.
Yep I agree with all of that, I guess those shutters got turned into cannon shot...
Glad to see you are a student of the Virginia, I am working from a set of plans of the Merrimack for the hull to the Orlop deck, the interior of this ship is just guess work, so many modelers have taken the Merrimack plans and extrapolated a guess as to how they configured her, but no one knows for sure, lots of authors have speculated, If you have not read Ironsides Down, you should get a copy. The author has done a ton of research, and has some great insight into the ship...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will44 View Post
Hello Mike,

Have you checked the number of hits for this posting......in only 8 days, also the comments continue. The interest in ACW is still there......!!!

My main reason for joining the forum was the interest in ACW watercraft and think it will continue to be of great interest to a number of builders.

I will continue following this post......beautiful work!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Will
Thanks Will, I have a great many interests, Civil War is one of the great ones, I am still mulling over this model, for sure it will have to be laser cut frames though just too much hand cutting to be done , all repetitious work wears you out... Will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepercan View Post
Complements on a fine rendition.
Lep
Thank you Lep...
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
Yep I agree with all of that, I guess those shutters got turned into cannon shot...
Glad to see you are a student of the Virginia, I am working from a set of plans of the Merrimack for the hull to the Orlop deck, the interior of this ship is just guess work, so many modelers have taken the Merrimack plans and extrapolated a guess as to how they configured her, but no one knows for sure, lots of authors have speculated, If you have not read Ironsides Down, you should get a copy. The author has done a ton of research, and has some great insight into the ship...
I have Carl D. Park's book and I can only hope someone will write similar books for other CS ironclads (Manassas and Arkansas would be my choice).
Don't you find it hard to believe that there are no photos of the Virginia? After all she was truly THE famous ship, even for her contemporaries.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazziga View Post
Don't you find it hard to believe that there are no photos of the Virginia?

No one cares about those big old glass photo plates Gramps took of those boats during the war. Just toss them into the trash bin.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighter View Post

No one cares about those big old glass photo plates Gramps took of those boats during the war. Just toss them into the trash bin.
You could be right, but at the current time only sketches exist, and a lot of those are grossly inaccurate ,considering the chaos at that time it is not surprising that they didn't photograph her. I would love to find those glass plates however
Google Adsense