PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
An update finally. A lot of work has been done. Sorry about the clutter. Nothing is glued in place except the frame.

What is accomplished:
- fitting front and rear decks
- fitting turret bases into the deck and frame structure
- fitting the glacis so that it correctly spans both turrets, hits the marks on the deck and just barely covers the tops of the turret base walls
- front and rear structure frames modified just slightly so that they match the decks
- hull sides (not shown) tweaked, again to fit just right
- started fitting the structures

Phew. I need to fit one double check version of the decks and then I'll start gluing things down and worrying seriously about the structure colors.

The turrets show one potential scheme of blue sides with blue stripe. The aft structure walls show a much more conventional single blue stripe. Boring but there is a photo of her in this mode. The older turret shows the tan sides/stripe scheme. She also appeared early in her career with black walls and a black stripe - but I choose not to use this because it was only when she still had her full ship rig and also because black sides will hide a lot of nice detailing. I have to work hard and play tricks with coloring to get the detail to show up on the French ships so I'll avoid it here if I can.

Fred can probably guess why he hasn't received Vs assembly diagrams by the work that has gone into this. I have to admit that Inflexible is the most difficult ship to model that I have encountered to date. And I haven't even gotten to the elevated walkway that spans the two structures over the turret.

I might point out that I'm using a system that will allow me to put in the turrets later but still have them rotate.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Inflexible, 1874, 1:200-p4070021.jpg   H.M.S. Inflexible, 1874, 1:200-p4070022.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Me likey, me likey.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM

I've glued all down now. Finally. It is so satisfying to actually fasten down your work.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Yes, I see what you mean. This one is a test of design capabilities. The blue looks good. How do you figure out these color schemes from old black and white images?
Mike
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
it looks like you are getting the glacis worked out ok. Much progress. Do you have the camber blues yet?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Working in the camber and roll added a lot of interest to the design process but I've got the hang of it now. Can you even see it in the photos?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Excellent!

I share everyone's enthusiasm about this one. I think the CW era ships are fastinating subjects to replicate.

Thanks!

The DC
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Question???

Sonce we are on the topic of this era, does anyone know of a Clyde class blockade runner kit? I've not found one in several searched locations.

Cheers!

The DC
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Attached the structure walls. Decks not glued down. Black light barriers were first installed on the frames behind the ports. After correcting an error or two - getting left and right confused and reversed and the like, I could glue it all down. I think that I've effectively hidden any misfits or problems with the passages through the structures by the way I apportioned the cuts. I'm reasonably pleased. Both structures are still floating and I can do the detail work separately before gluing down.

As an aside, I personally would never, ever sand the edge of a deck or hull. Take a sharp blade and cut carefully down the edge, shaving off the excess (I did this on both decks). Keep your eye (your head, whatever) OUTSIDE of the cut so that if you are a rightey, get your head to the right of the blade as you cut. Of course, if you are cutting improperly, that is to say, blind, then I can't help you. Go to my tutorials on Zealot on how to cut for clarification. You could also use scissors for a sub-mm edge trim and I do that too. Some issues there but you've got to learn what you are good at.

The third picture is an attempt to show the deck camber to Fred. It doesn't show up too clearly but it is there and it is to scale. It reinforces my thought that including camber in models is just for ego since it is nearly invisible when done. Note that the glacis is fitted across two turret cutouts, two separate deck pieces (it hides the seam) and matches the tops of the turret pieces and the cambered/rolled decks.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Inflexible, 1874, 1:200-p4090021.jpg   H.M.S. Inflexible, 1874, 1:200-p4090022.jpg   H.M.S. Inflexible, 1874, 1:200-p4090023.jpg  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks superb and if you look hard you can see the camber. Any chance of a close up of the glacis plates please.

Google Adsense