PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cruiser Aurora

The little boat didn't turn out so good. I started this yesterday by gluing model card to two layers of Bristol Board for the forms.

The Maly Modelartz paper is bad... it is soft and mushy so I scanned the pages. Again, I like this because I can experiment.

Here is printed yellow deck on left. It is ok but on right is deck printed on tan manilla folder cut to 8.5 x 11. I will glue to one layer of bristol board for deck. The folder card gives richer color.

This is the forms for the boat glued together. I glue the upright part in place first with some 90 degree braces. Then fit the bulk head parts. I Had to cut new notches for some parts so they match printed shape. Some of the parts on the front do not match the drawing in book.

This is the test deck cut out and sat on the bulk heads to see how it looks.

I made neat work so far. I think in a way this is easeir model even being bigger. Small boat was harder. I had thought of filling in between bulk heads with soft styrofoam and sanding to shape of whole hull so I have a solid surface to glue the paper sides to.

Now I go to work so I will not do any more until tomorrow.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Banned

Nice straight Hull. I use Photoshop to get the colors back. It is also good for making backup parts. You can cut and paste one part on a page without printing the whole sheet. Great job.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Great choice. I am a big fan of Maly Modelartz ships, of which I hope to build this same one as you @ a later date. You are right to scan/copy the parts, the kit paper is of little use and the kit is saved for your collection after you build from the copy. I am starting to amass a small collection of these ships, the last one to acquire, 1:300 HMS Rodney of which I paid a high price for, but I did want this kit, dtd 3-1970. As stated, if ran thru Photoshop, recolored and layered for parts, PE railing added and taking your time, you will be rewarded with a really nice build. Hand drawn kits have a charm all their own and you either like them or you don't. I for one like'em. You frame work looks really good and do not feel bad about the smaller boat, we all have more than a few that did not make to completion. Look forward to your building of this famous ship.:DRick
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
We all have our paper boneyards*.......... great to see the first model didn't dampen your enthusiasm! Keep on trucking......er shipping? :p

*mine looks like Davis Monthan

My Drawings
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks! I make some simple mistakes, but I have fixed it yesterday. The kit has no instruction and the picture doesn't match the parts. I hope to get more fixed today. I do not have Photoshop so I just use parts as they are.
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM

I glued the front deck to the frames, and started with the sides. This is test side. It will fit well with out a lot of work. I made mistake and cut off part that goes straight back at the cut out. I thought at first it would bend then thought cutting it would be better. Now I think you bend it. I can use extra parts anyway. I made new parts to fill in cut out with grey paper from extra parts. There is no real instruction for this area. I will try to block off seeing white as much as possible. I think you have to make things here that they do not provide or illustrate.

This is the cut out area that is hard for me to visualize what goes behind it where the deck ends.

The side will fit well. I left extra on the bottom even for test. Looking at pictures of other people's models I will add glueing tabs from bond paper along deck and bottom. I think I will glue the top along the deck first then the bottom later.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Wink Good info....

These build threads, like yours here, are not only great for fellow modelers but your comments help the designers!

Clear and detailed instructions can make a world of difference in the experience of building a model.

Keep up the thread...

The DC
Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
This is looking real good Lala. You will find with MM kits that there are often times you just have to improvise.

Check out the threads in these two contests to see what I mean
Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST - PaperModelers.com

Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest - PaperModelers.com

Last edited by B-Manic; 04-09-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
This is looking real good Lala. You will find with MM kits that there are often times you just have to improvise.

Check out the threads in these two contests to see what I mean
Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST - PaperModelers.com

Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest - PaperModelers.com

Yes I notice that. At least it is not Lenin's Car that seems awful. I think color is a problem with MM kits everyone mentions that. When i saw real Aurora in Neva it was painted light grey not dark grey. Maybe this is Aurora at night?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Ok I have a question now... The side of the ship I think should go over edge of deck. This works fine on front part of the ship (see photo above in other post). The side part fits perfectly from bottom of boat to over side of front deck. No problem...

Now for middle of the boat the side part is right height to go over the edge of the deck, but the deck has things sticking out. There are no mark on side to remove for these things and I do not know how to mark that myself.

In picture the deck and side are not ligned up exactly but just to give an idea of how the sticking out parts keep the sides from fitting. There are 7 of these things on deck parts to cut around.
Google Adsense