PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
SAAR 2 Missile Boat

Hi all,
This thread is presented at another Card modeling forum, but, decided to shear it with you also.
Scratch-building a warship is a new experience for me. For my first project I chose an Israeli Navy missile boat of the SAAR 2 type. This boat is 45m length, 7m wide and a displacement of 220 ton. Model scale is 1-100, so the boat will be 45 cm length and 7 cm wide.
Development of the missile boats area in the Israeli Navy started in the 60's, when it was understood that the threat from Russian missile boats typs Komar and Osa, can be controlled only with a new type of missile boats and a new see-to-see missile – the Gvrial . Hull is based on the German Navy torpedo boat Type 140 – Jaguar, and because of technical and political reasons, boats were build in a French shipyard.
In total, 12 units were delivered (one way or another …), and at the beginning they served as gun boats with 3 40mm guns (first attached picture) as Saar 1 type. Later they were updated to SAAR 2 missile boats (second picture) with 5 missile launchers (2 fixed forward and 3 on a rotational launcher at the rear) and two 40mm guns (one forward and one rear).

OK, enough with history, and back to modeling. First challenge was to fined top, profile and section drawings. After a long internet search I have found some medium quality drawings from 2 different sources, and scaled them up to 1-100 scale.
The model is build of frames, and the hull plating, are formed on the frames and than scaned and painted with a paint-shop program – first time for me.

One of this missile boats INS Mibtach (with partial weapons feet) is presented in the Navy museum in Haifa, and it is a great help for me in this modeling job.

Ths SAAR type missile boats were designed for high speed, and the bow shape lis complicated.

To help with the modeling, did some prototype plating with marking the edge lines of the bow shape.

In parallel to the hull, started modeling the bridge, but this for the next time.

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
A very good start to an interesting subject. I look forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing.

~Douglas
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Interesting project, and a "sharp" looking ship.
Looks like you are off to a great start.
Mike
Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Really interesting project.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest and encouraging responce.

In the SAAR 2 & 3 boats, bridge is compact and it's front is curved in two directions, as seen in the picture. First step was to design a fram, that around it bridge modeling is done.

Bridge modeling is done from 3 maine parts - front, sides and maine structure. To cureve the front panel, I bonded the printed part on another paper, pressed it on a curved glass, and let it dray. The maine structure was build separately and bonded.

Parts are scaned and painted by Paint Shop program. Inner side panels are done separately. Attaching a sample designed parts of the bridge (not to scale). Thanks in advance for any comments and improvements for the design.

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Hi all, Thanks for the interest and comments.

Continue with the hull build up. Modeling the bow with it's "wave braker", can be a challenge.

Bridge and some other top structure are done and bonded.

More of the model is done, for the next time.

Shalom Mor
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
I'm liking what i'm seeing here! Keep up the good work, Mor!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good looking build!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
Looking good.

To return to history for a second, weren't these the boats that the Isreali Navy had to sneak out of LaHavre after de Gaulle went back on his word? If I recall correctly the plans for the Mirage fighters were also on board (those spirited out of Switzerland).
Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 AM

Thanks all for the interest and comments.

This update - missile launchers. The SAAR 2 missile boat is armed with 5 Gabrieal missiles, 3 on a rotatable launcher, and 2 fixed. At the early 70's it was the first sea skimming missiles in the west, and the first responce to the russian Styx missile.

Missile canister and the launcher were scratch build, and the launcher model can be rotated. Some paint touch-up need to be done.

Base for the missiles directore is done, and the missile launcher is on the deck (more as a test assembly).

Next steps are the mast and guns.

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense