PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
Croatian bracera

OK, here is my first project, being a new member n'all
I'm currently building a bracera, which is a traditional vessel in my country.

First, let's start with some info:

the braceras were first mentioned in Adriatic as early as 17th century. It was a single masted vessel of a full-form hull, which had a characteristic rounded bow. Her length was usually between 12 and 15 meters and her displacement was between 50-70 t. In Istria the term bracera also denoted a double masted vessel with similar features as the Dalmatian bracera. The bracera was used for coastal trading with wines, olive oil, other agricultural products and cattle, trading with timber, salt and sand, as well as for transportation.

Here are some pictures:
Croatian bracera-000-brazzeradalmata.jpgCroatian bracera-000-bracera1900.jpgCroatian bracera-000-dinka.jpg

So, this is what I'm building, but... there's also a twist
Seeing as I will be marrying my beautiful fiancee in a few months, this bracera is going to have a special purpose - it's going to serve in place of a wedding ring cushion :D.

I'll be putting some pictures of the build as I find time.

Last edited by krivukov; 04-21-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I built something similar which we call the inter-coastal ships. It was used mostly by smugglers and blockade runners. It has the same outline except that it has two mast and the paddle and rudder is inside the transom not outside.

So where are the rings going to be placed, atop the mast, Or on the deck inside a pirates chest?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
So where are the rings going to be placed, atop the mast, Or on the deck inside a pirates chest?
Well, I was planing on making a pirates chest, but my fiancee wouldn't go for it
So instead, the rings are going to be placed on the deck, in the cargo area.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM

OK, let's start with the blueprints - I managed to procure them a few years back, when I had ideas about building wooden ships (which never happened in the end). I printed them on sheets of regular A4 printer paper, and then copied them on cardboard using carbon paper.
For the keel I'm using 3mm thick cardboard, and 1.5mm for the frames:

Croatian bracera-001.jpgCroatian bracera-002.jpgCroatian bracera-008.jpgCroatian bracera-009.jpg

After cutting, here comes dryfit:

Croatian bracera-014.jpgCroatian bracera-016.jpgCroatian bracera-020.jpg

I thought I would be using this deck, cut from 1mm cardboard, but later I decided on a different approach.

Last edited by krivukov; 04-21-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Next is hull boarding
The method I'm using is probably not the best ever invented, but this is my first model, so please bear with me.

For each side of the hull, I cut one 10mm wide strip of 1mm thick cardboard, plus another 13 which are 3mm wide. I glue the 10mm strip next to the keel. The 13mm wide strips are glued only to the middle frame, and then I glue them one by one to the next frame, narrowing and trimming the strip as necessary.

Croatian bracera-027.jpgCroatian bracera-031.jpgCroatian bracera-040.jpgCroatian bracera-042.jpgCroatian bracera-046.jpg

The end result was a mess. I had to fill a few gaps with CA glue, but I'll be covering that with paint later.
I also used CA glue to harden the intire hull on the inside.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
One technique That I use is the double hull. It works great on wooden ship and on paper, The first hull is put on like sheets of plywood an it acts a base for the planking. It also is easier to fill in any spaces with wood paste. spackle, putty or paper cell putty. After it has set, you can lightly sand it and you can get a smooth finish.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It looks like you are off to a good start - I'll be following your build it looks very interesting.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Beautifull lines she got. Very nice boat and good build. Looking forward how you proceed. Can you advice where one could get the plans for this boat - I'd love to give it a try too someday.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Beautifull lines she got. Very nice boat and good build. Looking forward how you proceed. Can you advice where one could get the plans for this boat - I'd love to give it a try too someday.
Well, as far as I know, Tehnodidakta - the company which made the plans (and wooden kits) - went out of business, so you can't really buy them anywhere anymore. I got mine from some guy at some other forum. If you want, just send me a PM with your e-mail and I would be glad to send them to you.

The plans don't say what scale they are in, but knowing the dimensions of the real ship, you can scale them any way you want. My build is 1:72.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 AM

OK, now we come to the problem of wedding rings placement.
As I said earlier, I'll be placing them on the deck, in the cargo area.

But first, I have to make a cushion for them - and why not use the one from the original box?
It's made from a plush material glued on a card frame, and filled with two small pieces of sponge. It was a bit too long, so I had to make it shorter. A few cuts, a drop of glue, and that's done .

Croatian bracera-049.jpgCroatian bracera-051.jpgCroatian bracera-053.jpgCroatian bracera-055.jpg

Then I made the cargo area - basically, a box - but I still had to enlarge it slitely in regard to the blueprints, to fit the cushion in.
All good so far.

Croatian bracera-056.jpgCroatian bracera-057.jpg

Then, a problem - the cargo box is 15mm high, so if I glue it directly on the deck, it will protrude too much. That means I have to put it deeper in the hull, which means I have to cut into the keel and two of the frames - this is what happens when you don't plan ahead . It wasn't easy, but I managed to do it.
Dry fit looks good.

Croatian bracera-058.jpgCroatian bracera-059.jpg