PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-02-2016, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 342.62 MB
wow Ms LeeAnne, that is one nice tow boat . is that like the model you sent me...i plan on starting it next week....but i like this one..cant wait until you post some more pics
Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 17.52 MB
Railing: I use etched parts for thin details which have to be stiff. I draw the parts and send the drawings to SAEMANN who makes the rest.
Reinhard
Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob neill View Post
Silly question is how many of each of the different types per trip? With the floods now near St Louis, shipping should have stopped. I remember tow boats even being used as ice breakers.

Bob Neill
Since almost all barges are the same size, the only real limitations is for rivers with locks. The standard lock on the Ohio or Upper Mississippi is 110 feet wide, and either 600 feet or 1200 feet long. With the smaller lock, you can get six barges through (not touching the concept of double-lockage). With the 1200 foot lock, figure 15 barges. There are creative ways of maximizing the number of barges, like running one "on the hip", which is attaching a barge to the side of the boat.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Fascinating information Lee Anne. Had to look up double-locking. A touchy issue I take it.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Thank you.
Since memory is fleeting, I think I have seen towboats moving barges 2, 3, or 4 long by 2 or 4 wide. Barge loads would depend on time of year as well as direction, up or down river.
Working the locks would be like two extra long trains trying to pass each other using a short siding. by breaking into sections.

Bob Neill
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Fascinating information Lee Anne. Had to look up double-locking. A touchy issue I take it.
Not touchy, but it just takes a bit more time to put the front half of the tow in the lock, break the tow (disconnect the halves), pull back out, let the lock crew do their thing, then let the front half either drift out or be helped out by a smaller boat, close the gates, flood or empty the chamber (depending on which way you're going), open the other gate, and let the boat with the rest of the barges inside. After the other gate opens, then the back half has to be reconnected with the front half. As you can see, in the days of 600-foot locks, this was a pain. With many 1200-foot locks, all of this extra time and work is avoided.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 AM

Am currently replacing some of the solid railing with open railing, which looks more realistic.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob neill View Post
Silly question is how many of each of the different types per trip? With the floods now near St Louis, shipping should have stopped. I remember tow boats even being used as ice breakers.

Bob Neill
The types of barges depend on what they have contracts to ship. Some companies, like Crounse, deal only with coal. Others, especially on the Upper Mississippi, do grain. As to number of barges, it depends on what part of the river system, sizes of the locks (if any), horsepower of the boats, and contracts. Larger boats may push 60 or so barges on the Lower Mississippi, while a smaller boat may push six on the Monongahela.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 AM

I haven't dropped off the edge of the earth. Like everyone, I've been busy. But here are a few recent additions: Been building stairs for the boat. This is a great lunchtime task for work. I did all three in one day. Then, there is the reconfiguration of the railings. 'Been opening them up, as they look more realistic. Third, deck equipment (kevels and buttons) are quick and easy to make. More coming...
Attached Thumbnails
190=foot River Towboat-p1010001.jpg   190=foot River Towboat-p1010002.jpg   190=foot River Towboat-p1010003.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice! Great work. Very accurate.
Years ago, I lived along the Allegheny River near Pittsburgh, PA and became a tug fan. Good choice for a river tug.

Tags
built, mississippi, river, system, towboat, 190=foot