PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Perfect looking work Mike, looks great
Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
You make a nice ship Mike, great thread too.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
18 – Funnels and Steam Pipes

Thanks David, Glen and Mike.

These images show the completion of the funnels and steam pipes. There seem to be two sizes of steam pipes and I don’t know the reason. Some of the marine engineers out there could probably explain it. There are four of the larger size, and eight of the smaller ones. All the parts for the funnels and pipes are made of paper or card.

The frames at the tops of the funnels seem to be meant to hold up canvas. There are several images that show canvas over the tops of the funnels when the ship is in port, as the first historic image shows.

The second historical image is not only a great image of the entire ship, but has a terrific view of the funnels and steam pipes in action.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-159-funnel-assemblies.jpg   -160-funnels-steam-pipes.jpg   -161-funnels-steam-pipes.jpg   -162-forward-funnel-steam-pipes.jpg   -163-forward-funnel-steam-pipes.jpg  

-164-funnels-steam-pipes.jpg   -165-funnels-steam-pipes.jpg   -166-funnels-steam-pipes.jpg   -167-overview-port-bow.jpg   -168-jaureguiberry-funnels.jpg  

-169-jaureguiberry-speed.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I always marvel at your ability to roll such narrow tubes. The ship is really looking the business now Mike.

Robert
Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As always, superb craftsmanship, Mike. As Robert says, the models is approaching the appearance of the ship in that last impressive image.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
inspiring work Michael !
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Watching you build, I feel like an apprentice watch maker, observing the master perform his magic! I have to show my ignorance here and ask a question. The rectangular openings all along the hull sides; were they for additional small caliber weapons?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Magnificent Work. Truly a Master builder at his craft. I am enjoying this build and look forward to the next installment.
Darren
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great work as always, Michael! I'm not an engineer, but the plans show some of these pipes. The ones forward of both funnels and some of the aft ones of the aft funnel (labelled in blue) are labelled steam pipes, used to release excess steam for example, but these seem to be drawn inside the funnel. The ones aft of the forward funnel and some of the ones aft of the aft funnel (labelled in red) are flues from the kitchens. I'm not sure what the extra ones are at the moment..

But looking at the photos, the ones with a small flue cowl seem to be the steam pipes (steam coming out while at high speed) whereas the ones with the large flue caps could be the ones from the kitchens, which are actually the ones aft of the forward funnel and forward of the aft funnel. As the kitchens are between the funnels, this would make sense, I think?

Last edited by cerberusjf; 01-04-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:17 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
Watching you build, I feel like an apprentice watch maker, observing the master perform his magic! I have to show my ignorance here and ask a question. The rectangular openings all along the hull sides; were they for additional small caliber weapons?

Hello Missileer:
Thanks. Regarding the rectangular openings all along the hull sides . . .
Those are hatches. In many photos they are open. It seems they needed as much ventilation in these old ships as they could get. Here is a drawing that gives a good view of them and how they worked.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-170-hatch-detail-drawings.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main