PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hello Heinkel111!

Yes...I got them both figuring I'd build them sort of side by side. Really neat job on the Virginia. I like your other ships as well and will likely be ordering more. Such a neat selection of not-often-modeled machines!

Cheers and I hope this will be done in the coming week.

Dan
Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Looking really nice. Interesting in that I've never seen the under-surface paint (the reddish color) extending up the casemate like that before. Never even thought about it. But I guess it's a reasonable conjecture. Certainly the armor did extend beneath the surface.

--jeff
Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Very nice work Dan! You're a natural at this.
Support us on Patreon
Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM

KF: I don't know that much about these iron clads. When I grew up it was always "The Monitor and the Merrimack" with no hint of CSS Virginia so I'm certainly not sure about specifics. I do like the overall look and the model will be nice and attractive...and can't be mistaken for anything else! I want to build the Monitor which I also purchased...

Andrey: Thanks for the kind comment. Now I'm looking for a cool WWI dreadnought as some models I've seen are just spectacular (but very, VERY intimidating). I will have "arrived" if I can actually build one of those and make it look nice .

P.S. STILL Haven't forgotten about the PZL or the Westland!

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited by smithdr; 11-02-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:44 PM

She's ALMOST done! Lots of little things to go like more rigging and a new stand. I also want to find some 1/200th sailors just to lend some scale. Chains would look nice for the anchors that are not yet cut and folded too.

Heinkel 1/200th C.S.S.  Virginia-almostdone1-20copy_zpssruuc9ip.jpg

Now I don't want to give it away to my mother. I guess I'll just need to build myself another one....

The next shot should be of a finished craft!

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Dan
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
The pic you posted looks very good. Really looking forward to the finished pics!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Very nicely done, with crisp details. One thing has always bothered me about the designers of the early ironclads; they always put the long boats in places that made them look like targets that could not possibly survive the first exchange of gunfire. Was there a rule of the sea back then, that life boats were not to be destroyed on purpose?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 385.3 KB
I'm new to this forum - this looks fantastic! I just built the Monitor, so the Virginia is next up. Im with you though, growing up I always heard the story about the Monitor vs the Merrimack.

great job,
chris
Old 11-06-2016, 02:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Very nice job on the Virginia/Merrimack. I have a Cairo that you might have inspired me to start.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 PM

Thanks, Everyone...and do build that Cairo! Don't let these things languish in the electronic ether! They really are neat kits of subjects that are timeless but not modeled for some reason.

Well...we are calling this one done. I still need to make a nicer base and after looking at some paintings, it seems I do need to add a railing all the way around the top "deck" but that will take some time and patience and it won't look THAT different so here it is!! I'll finish it over the next week or so doing several railings at a time.

Since the last post, I added the anchors and the chains both front and back and finished rigging the stack and both lifeboats. The lifeboats were the hardest thing on this baby and I'm still not completely satisfied with them...however...live and learn. On to the final pictures:

Heinkel 1/200th C.S.S.  Virginia-img_5904_zpsgoy1pgpr.jpg

Heinkel 1/200th C.S.S.  Virginia-img_5900_zpstrqeqsqy.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement along the way. Now I need to build another one, and do the Monitor so I can display them both! I do think my mom will like this little guy.

Cheers and on to the next paper project...or maybe a break and make a simple plastic model!

Dan

Last edited by smithdr; 11-06-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Google Adsense