PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-29-2017, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
Jules Vernes Nautilus

My humble contribution to the forum. I stumbled upon this model a few weeks ago. A rewarding project, in my opinion, my thanks to designer and the thouroghly resesearch behind this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Jules Vernes Nautilus-screenshot_2017-01-29-12-03-01.jpg   Jules Vernes Nautilus-screenshot_2017-01-29-12-02-56.jpg  

Last edited by MRC; 01-29-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2017, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Looks really nice. I hope to build this kit in the future. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. I' m looking forward to your next 250 builds.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
A couple web pages which may be of interest. Found this site several years ago.
Quote:
Some details of the Nautilus as described by Verne are subject to interpretation and some may have been obscured in translation, but many are clearly stated. The largest portion of the information is found in the chapters titled "The Nautilus" (included in "The Man of the Seas" in incomplete translations), "All by Electricity", and "Some Figures". Additional information is scattered throughout the novel. Here's a summary of the details
Jules Verne's Nautilus

Quote:
The Catalog of Nautilus Designs
When I first established this page, I had only a small collection of designs to feature. Since then, the list has grown and grown, as has the popularity of the page. Examination of the many designs reveals relationships between them. Cross-pollination has occurred when designers who viewed the page produced new boats incorporating features they saw here. What began as a passive collection has become an active inspiration. (Ken Anslow records some interesting thoughts about creative cross-pollination and differing visions evoked by a writer's words. Read them on his blog.)
A Catalog of Nautilus Designs
Old 01-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice and clean. That railing looks really good
Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

That looks real good.

As an aside I vaguely recall from reading the book many years ago that the Nautilus was basically just a cylinder with cones forming pointy ends both fore and aft with a propeller and rudder assembly somewhere on the aft cone. There was a small pilot house on top of the main body with an electric headlight to illuminate the ocean in front of the boat as it progressed under the surface.

Of course, a plain pointy cylinder does not present much visual interest so it is understood that those shapes drawn by people through the years are more appealing.
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Looks really nice. I hope to build this kit in the future. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. I' m looking forward to your next 250 builds.
Thank you, oh well för now I have my hands on Shipyards Utö-lighthouse... WAKs Trieste comes next... 😊
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Jules Verne's Nautilus

It was that site that made me reread the "20000" novel and pointed me to this model. Great site b.t.w. Loads of links!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Very nice and clean. That railing looks really good
Thank you, I dreaded those railings, actually all was over in a 2-3 hours. I found the cover on deck for the longboat a challenging one. 😊
Old 01-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Jules Verne's Nautilus

Well, having enjoyed looking through both those references I'm afraid that Harper Goff's design for the 1954 Disney movie will always win out for me ... but then again, I did see the film long before I read Jules Verne's book.

I do have the Perikertas 1:200 paper model kit on file, and I WILL build it one day.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Sorry for the delay ... it took a lot of searching to find this URL but the Perikertas model is still available here ... ZRP Papercrafter: Capt. Nemo's Nautilius Submarine Papermodel

Glad I found it again, as the instructions are also available, and I didn't have them from my original "Disney Experience" download. Whatever happened to them? My Virus protection goes loopy on anything I find under that name, and totally refuses to connect to whatever it's finding. Even the many dates shown on the Wayback Machine set alarms clanging, 404 slides and pop ups demanding a full PC scan. Did Robert Nava get stomped on by a New Disney CEO or summat?

Nice model build by the way, MRC. Not for me though as it's just the wrong interpretation, and it's way too big for my shelves. I am already considering shrinking this 1:200 one down further to 1:300.