PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Great idea on the braces jagolden. Lookin' good!

Happy New Year!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Spring is here so it's time to take up the sub again. There's so much more to build this is certainly a long term project.

It's been so long I've got to figure out where I am and my next steps.

It is time to join section 1 and 2 to section 3. When I test fit it, there is a large gap between the pieces. With the big enlargement I did and my inexperience at laying skins I'm not surprised. But I'm OK with the things I'll have to do to make it all work for me.

Well, there are little tines at the aft end of bulkhead 2 where it joins to 3. This gives me a little wiggle room. By trimming down these tines it gives me a much better fit all the way around. It will be a little tighter when epoxyed together. It's not perfect but for my skills (or lack of-especially with boats) I'm happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-1-img_8140.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-2-img_8142.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-3-img_8144.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-4-img_8146.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jay,
She is underway! It will be good to watch your progress again.
Mike
Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
aaaah the "lets enlarge the model and enlarge the errors at the same time" syndrome!

haha...its good to see you back at this!
it has been a long time...I can barely remember some of my Uboat build.

yes, this model requires some very precise fitting of parts and panels
and as you work your way to the rear any misaligned parts or fit issues become more and more exaggerated.
I rushed my build considerably and I remember I had a heck of a time with the final few skins at the stern of the boat.

this is me, keenly watching again
Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Glad to see you back on the U-Boat jagolden. I've been eager to see you get back into her.

Hey, don't sweat those allignment issues. It comes with the enlargement territory. You'll have to cut some heavy formers here and there, and modify parts by test fitting. It's all a part of this large scale game. I'm confident you will get the hang of it quickly.
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Finally starting to close in on having the hull skinned.
Sorry for lousy photo, the good camera broke last week. Trying to track a replacement down on eBay.

This aft and is fitting pretty well - better than amidships. i thought with all the fancy curving it would be more difficult. Of course, I'm not quite finished yet.
There are certainly "problems" caused by the enlargement and my inexperience but I'm satisfied and simply going to work along. I think when completed (eventually) it will look good. At least won't make any dogs bark!:p
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-1-img_3703.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Looks like pretty good match-up on the seams to me. The dark gray does help to conceal a few issues. That's always good. Good work with the edge coloring and other little things will help it to look seamless.

I think you're doing a real expert job there jagolden. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM

Just catching up...
Thanks eibwarrior, the kind words are appreciated. Need all I can get for this project :p. Yes the dark gray hides a lot! Also, there's a Storm Gray craft paint that matches very nicely for some touch-ups. I did find a spot on one of the formers (on the top luckily) where it is not cut out properly at all, I'll have to shave and sand down.

Finished the overall skinning. Considering the odd shapes in the area I think it looks good. The are spots that will need some patch or other fill to hide some glitches but that's OK.

I'd like to attach all three sections (as I built it) of the hull to get a good idea of the size and scope but will probably start work on the decking. Back when I did all the work on the Conning Tower, I glued individual planks for the deck there, so i pretty much have to continue that way. With this size, that will be a long and tedious process - akin to doing road wheels for a tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-1-img_3710.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-2-img_3708.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Any updates on this work of art?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Any updates on this work of art?
Mike, sad to say the project is canceled. I've pretty much shut down on the paper modeling, though I still follow the forum.
Google Adsense