PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
The snorkels were added to many VIIC's between '44 and '45. Looking at his design thread in 2007 he mentionted the diagram he was using as his design base. Looks like it was a Type VII C/41. Uboat.net has some info on them here: Type VIIC/41 - U-boat Types - German U-boats of WWII - Kriegsmarine - uboat.net.

The removal of the deck mounted 88 fore of the tower and the expanded wintergarten with two twin 20mm(?) guns and a 37mm slightly lower and aft would be consistent with a vessel between 44 and 45.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsargent View Post
The snorkels were added to many VIIC's between '44 and '45. Looking at his design thread in 2007 he mentionted the diagram he was using as his design base. Looks like it was a Type VII C/41. Uboat.net has some info on them here: Type VIIC/41 - U-boat Types - German U-boats of WWII - Kriegsmarine - uboat.net.

The removal of the deck mounted 88 fore of the tower and the expanded wintergarten with two twin 20mm(?) guns and a 37mm slightly lower and aft would be consistent with a vessel between 44 and 45.
Thank, VB!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM

A little progress made.

Have finally attached the last stern module to the rest of the hull. This makes the final length 57".

Looking down the top of the spine its perfectly straight - for 95% of the length. The first 5% is at a slight angle. Not that you notice overall but it means I'll have to adjust when laying down the deck pieces.

Also a dry test fit of one of the deck pieces for the aft end. From a dry fit standpoint they look and fit quite well. I will be laminating these to some heavier stock so there are no waves/warps in the decking.

Baby steps.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-18a.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-18b.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-18c.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Awesome work, Joe! If the first 5% is off, I can't tell. It looks great. Great idea on the deck. I look forward to seeing it.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Did you say 57 inches? Holy poop! Almost 5 feet long! And I thought that my 1/72nd scale Wilkes class destroyer was going to be big at 52 inches.

My hat is off to you sir.

vbsargent
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks, folks. It's good to be doing work on this again. Yea, it's big but at least not as big as the first iteration that I started at 1:32.

Now, I have a question. Is it me or what? My wife just said to me, and I quote "What is that long thing?" I've only been working on this for more than a year in one scale or another and it's been sitting clear as day out on my build desk. How could she miss it? And worse, how could she not identify it as some sort of submarine?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jo,
I like the second image of the project.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Yeah, What is that Thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Thanks, folks. It's good to be doing work on this again. Yea, it's big but at least not as big as the first iteration that I started at 1:32.

Now, I have a question. Is it me or what? My wife just said to me, and I quote "What is that long thing?" I've only been working on this for more than a year in one scale or another and it's been sitting clear as day out on my build desk. How could she miss it? And worse, how could she not identify it as some sort of submarine?
That comment, is a wifely angle shot - actual meaning is "where do you suppose you're going to "Put That Thing"...,

+Gil

P.S. I like Type VII's. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post

That comment, is a wifely angle shot - actual meaning is "where do you suppose you're going to "Put That Thing"...,

+Gil

P.S. I like Type VII's. Keep up the good work.
Thanks guys.

I think it would look nice on the sofa table behind the couch. I bet I could get it there for a little while at least. Of course, the cats would be another story.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM

I've been installing the decking and while waiting to dry, I looked ahead through the instructions.

I came across these little "pipe" things (bollards?) that stick up all over the deck. I think they may be used to tie up to a dock.

Do these things stick up all the time or are they recessed when the boat is at sea? There's 10 of them spread around the deck.

I'd like the boat to be "at sea" config.
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-19a.jpg