PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Deck Secured, moving on...

I now have the deck in place. The fit-up was very good. No trimming needed, the design is superb to this point.

Starting to apply some red strips of 30lb. stock to the formers in preperation for hull plating. I hope the hull plating goes as smoothly as the formers have thus far. The hull is where I always run into fit up problems with most models and end up doing rather unsavory modifications. Hoping for the best on this one. I'm not planning on painting the hull, so I hope it goes well.

I've also added my first shot of the Indy in 1/700 scale. I know Michael and some others will enjoy following this parallel project. I'm doing the Indy in Measure 22 Camouflage which as you can see by the photo has Navy Blue 5-N to the main deck on the sides, and Haze gray above. The decks are all Sea Blue 5-S. I've tinted both with a little flat white to tone them down a bit. I've also cut out a waterline template from cardstock. This will facilitate seating this waterline model on the water base that I will make for it when finished.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The framing looks really good, I'm hoping you don't have to paint too! It is good to following another build from you.

And thanks for showing your plastic work too.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Eternal Member

Looks like a good start I will be interested to see how the hull goes together looks different

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
You going to post about the Pocher Rick? My dad built the Alfa when I was a kid and had a number of the other ones. I'd like to pick one up one of these days to build if I ever have some extra cash laying around - yeah right lol.
It just so happens that the rebuild is a Alfa 8C 2300 Monza and I will post some photo's @ the other things we do postings. I also have a 1/72 Type VIIC printed out from ECardmodels, have the original and the re-color along with PE. brass arms and brass props for this scale U-Boat. Just have to decide which one. In the mean time the USS Helena is looking good and I am impressed w/the 1/700 scale build, too small for me, but I do like'em.:DRick
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
It just so happens that the rebuild is a Alfa 8C 2300 Monza and I will post some photo's @ the other things we do postings. I also have a 1/72 Type VIIC printed out from ECardmodels, have the original and the re-color along with PE. brass arms and brass props for this scale U-Boat. Just have to decide which one. In the mean time the USS Helena is looking good and I am impressed w/the 1/700 scale build, too small for me, but I do like'em.:DRick
Ok, I lied - it was the Fiat that he had finished. I still look forward to seeing the pictures

[/hijack]

Hull frames looking good! I'll be following this one closely - should be a fun parallel build!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Nice work Eib, you are a busy guy!!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 AM

Thanks everyone. I may not get very much done this weekend. I just lost my red marker. Not a good time to misplace that tool, as I just started cutting out hull parts and need to edge color.

A trip to Hobby Lobby is now in order. I'll piddle with Indy in the meantime.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 AM

Hull frame looks nice and straight. Looking forward to the plating.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I always enjoy your builds -- in any medium -- and both of these cruisers look great.

I'm glad to hear about the quality of the Helena kit. I'd like to try to build a cruiser some day and, while I tend toward the trraty cruisers, the Baltimores were certainly beautiful ships -- and yours is shaping up to be a real treat for the eyes.

Don
Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Found the Red Marker!

Thanks Don and MaBrown. I would recommend picking up this kit. It's a real jewel Don.

After a slight setback, I found the red marker. It was in the floor of my truck!!! Now how did it get there?

Once I found my trusty red tool, I got back into hull plating. Boy, this is a great layout. Goes together like a glove. Even the bow piece went on smoothly. I can't say that about every ship that I've built. It gives me hope for the other end, which also tends to be a problem in most kits. :D

The hull plating is a bit on the thin side. I've been very careful while forming and rolling not to put any creases or bends in it. The more discriminating modeler would likely take the time to laminate this hull material (just a bit, maybe +20lb pieces) to make them more hearty.

I'll seal up the bottom over the next couple days and then move to the hull sides before tackling the props, shafts and rudder.

On the Indy front... Building the hangar bays and decks above. The fitup of this old Tamiya model is decent. No triming thus far and no catastrophes yet. Next step will be to attach the hangar doors and put the deck directly above in place. Painting much Deck Blue at the moment. There cannot be a more bland color in the color chart. :D

Google Adsense