PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bob --

Glad you read Verton's book. I just took delivery of my copy and it looks good. I thought it was nice of him to respond so quickly to my query about the camo pattern on the Sims. I bet he would love to get a model. He seems like a classy guy and so do you.

Your Hiryu and Sims are real inspirations. I look forward to seeing your DE and Matsu builds and, although my skills don't match yours, I hope to soon try my hand at a 1/400 version of the Gremir Nagatsuki, making use of the resizing software.

Incidentally, is there a source of 1/400 gun barrels?

Don B.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Don,
I am not sure about your question about the gun barrels...I always use the barrels that are designed with the kit...ei..I always "roll" them....sometimes this needs to be cone a couple of times to get those that will pass inspection by NavOrd!...but I still just keep rolling till I get ones that will pass!!! Those on the "Sims" were "rolled" and then put on a large paperclip for final diameter and straitness...at this scale I use straight pins. small paper clips and larger paper clips and then for larger size the rectangular paper fasteners that have all been straightened for interior diameter for these parts...hope this helps..but probably did not answer your question...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Bob --

If I could roll barrels as well as you do, I wouldn't be concerned about the brass barrels, but they DO exist.

GPM, for example, makes brass barrels in 1/200 scale for some of their ships. These are available in the United States through the Paper Model Store (http://www.papermodelstore.com/index.php?cPath=22_39_80 ) and I purchased the 1/200 barrels for the "full sized" Nagatsuki.

I seem to remember seeing 1/400 barrels suitable for the JSC Polish warships, but I failed to make a note at the time and now I can't find the site (if it really existed and isn't a figment of my imagination).

Because of your focus on 1/400 ship model, I thought you might have come across these items.

Incidentally, I sent Dan Verton a message referring him to this forum discussion, but haven't heard back from him yet. He may be traveling.

Don
Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I know when I was in the local hobby shop they had a ton of photo-etch detail kits for small scale (1/350 and 1/400) ships. I only saw ladders and railings, but our plastic building brethren use these detail kits as well - so I'd certainly guess that there are alternative barrel sources out there - but you may have to look outside the normal paper hobby suppliers to find them.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 AM

Thanks, Dan. I have seen the brass photo-etch sets in various scales, but haven't tried using them yet. I also bought some laser-cut paper railings in 1/200 and 1/400 and am going to try them out on some simple models.

David Hathaway recommends soaking thread in glue and then using a jig to make ship railings and I have read with interest the descriptions in this forum for soldering brass wire. Some day, I hope to try all these techniques.

Meanwhile, I will try to improve my "barrel-rolling" skills and will stay on the lookout for 1/400 brass barrels and will report if I find 'em.

Don B.
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
The GPM.pl site does have 1/400 gun barrels and rails etc. The shipping cost gets a little pricey but the stuff is there. You may have to order a pkg for a specific ship, ie the Carolina class BB that JSC makes and sipe the barrels for your DDs etc
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Thanks, Ted! Now I remember that it was the GPM site where I saw those barrels. Don B.