PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I got all the formers done. I can not hardly believe how solid the structure is! Some of the length wise formers did not line up with the "ribs", but I discovered this before I glued the card to the board. I was able to cut and move the one that was off and line it up with its mate that was near perfect, then cut the slots together, then separated them down the middle. Must have worked, thy all fit when I was done. I will try and get some pictures. Now I am gluing up the parts and fixing up a few short comings.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I've just started using the backing board off one of those pads as well for formers for the Udarnyj and I can not believe a. how good it is to work with and b. that I used to just toss it out when I finished a pad. I've also learned to peel off the adhesive strip that forms the hinge/spine of the pad before cutting as it is really difficult to get through...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I know that cost IS an issue - I'm a laid off layabout myself now myself - but I really like the results that I get with Bristol Board. It is pricier since it is art material but it looks nice and cuts nice. Best of all it really works well with kits that need 1mm stock.

Basically, I use 3M spray adhesive and glue together two sheets of Bristol and then use 3M to attach the plain paper template to it. I'm pretty certain that I am unique in this but I like it enough to save my tiny fund of "optional" pennies to buy it when I can.

I'm looking forward to your progress, CT.

Carl
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM

I tried to sneel over and do some of the under water skins tonight. I got a way with getting an almost perfect fit at the bulbous bow. The second skin fit alright. At the third skin, while holding it in place with wet glue, everyone needed me for something...just at the most inconvenient time. Now the skin has some ridges in it from the rib do to misplaced pressure and I have a few glue spots showing. Things were gong so good too, but then things like this. The boat is about a hartbeat away from becoming a paper artificial reef at this point. Oh well. I will continue though. Just disappointed. I am not the world neatest modeler to start with, and when I had something working so well...should have known better. That's what a guy gets for hurrying I guess, when there is other stuff that needs done.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Sorry I got to wining there, some days you know...here are some pics so far. Even if this ends up being a kids toy in the end, I am learning a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
my Russian Battleship-072009_22481.jpg   my Russian Battleship-072009_22482.jpg   my Russian Battleship-072009_22491.jpg   my Russian Battleship-072009_22492.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Not tooooo bad. But if you are compulsive and eccentric, unlike anyone else around here (ahem) you could rip it off and put a replacement on after very carefully trimming off glue residue.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM

I may do that. I am going to finish the last of the hull plates first to see how everything lines up. If it comes to it, I will reprint and redo.

I am looking at the rest of this thing with new eyes though. I wanted to pop out every porthole but now I just don't know. May be I will save that kind of detailing for another build. W shall see.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Up date...
The hull plates are done and the added paper pieces are sure to add good fuel to the fire when I lite this worthless attempt up. The pieces started to become much longer then need as the went aft, but too short to go from water line port to waterline starboard. Then, the last curved piece at the stern fit perfectly, however, though two are provided both are starboard pieces. I had to put the port side on wrong side out and paint it with red marker. Looks like crap.

I started the deck pieces, but I have no idea how they go for sure or what pieces form the visible bulk heads. Much of the bulkhead pieces are left off of the two view diagram. And, of coarse, the parts that I do know were they go do not fit. I am adjusting the formers as I go, as much as I can, but it is frustrating and slow going.

I do plan on finishing this thing if for no other reason then I do not want it to beat me. It will look somewhat like a ship when it is done. Who knows, maybe the sight of it slowly sinking in the kids pool all covered in fire and smoke will make an entertaining you tube video, we'll see.

Those Pay For models from Golden Bear and Digital Navy are looking all the more appealing!

Between the five year old fighting me over home schooling today and my model fighting me at every step, I may be close to loosing my mind. Oh well, small loss...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM

I just looked at the kit and I see what you mean. It seems to be a scan of a poorly printed kit. If you have some kind of graphics programs you could flip that stupid part but I don't know that it is work it now that I look at the thing. Firecrackers are fun with paper models because they don't necessary destroy all at once unlike plastic. Lighter fluid is good too. BB guns would be a thought, so that it would take a while to wear it out.

Carl
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM

OK, this has been a great lesson so far. As the decking and ubove water hull parts are coming along, and it is starting to look some what ship like, I am becoming less gloomy about it. Everything has to be cut into place, but it is kind of working. I also have some ideas about the parts that just have not worked well.

The fun stuff is starting, like the deck skylights and superstructures. I may have pictures this afternoon on the "progress" so far. I have learned much already. I do have a question though.

I do not like the look of the overlapping hull plates, even when they work out. Is there a way to butt-end these thing (in other models that have plates that line up?

I have learned that Golden Bear's number one rule is all too true! Test fit everything. These formers would have never have lined up on the Starboard side if I had cut them out the way the printed piece shows.

I have also learned that not all models are equal. I will not complain too much about this one, because it was after all free, and if I had the proper computer-modeling skills, it could have been made a lot better. That being said though, I am glad that some of my first ship models were Civil War ironclads from MM on face book, Dragos, and Avery, and that my first full hull ship was from Digital Navy.

So I continue, when I have time, and will get this done. It will just not be a prize winner by any thought.
CT.
Google Adsense