PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit

Hello All,

I recently starting building one of the newer laser-cut kits from the Polish card model manufacturer Shipyard. I got the kit through the online shop Ages of Sail, which carries most of the kits from Shipyard, including their paper kits as well as their laser-cut card stock kits.

The kit is titled Hanse Kogge - Bremen 1380, and it is a fully laser-cut, 1/72 scale card model. The kit comes in a box with 9 sheets of laser-cut parts, a full-color, 52-page instruction book, packages of dowels for masts, laser-cut card stock fittings including hearts, blocks, and deadeyes, a laser cut and printed sail, a set of acrylic paints, brushes, a couple sheets of rigging diagrams, and printed flags.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-zl048-hanse-kogge-bremen-1380-1.jpg

Ages of Sail sells this kit for $125. You can see their listing here

Here are some photos of the kit contents.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0200.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0206.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0211.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0227.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0236.jpg

I'll start the build with my next post...

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2020, 12:41 PM

Here's the start of my build. This is a really nice kit. I've built Shipyards HMS Alert paper model kit, where you have to cut out all the parts, and also built one laser-cut lighthouse model, the Crowdy Head lighthouse in 1/72 scale. That was a fun little project.

This one should be similar – a lot easier than the HMS Alert kit. Nothing to really cut out, just have to cut the tiny tabs to free the parts to the sheets.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0298.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0301.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0302.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0303.jpg

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0322.jpg

Doesn't take long for the model to start looking like a ship. Or at least the skeleton of a ship.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Nice start. Good luck, this one is fun to build.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 03-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks, Marco.

I just did a search and found your build. It's very nicely done.

I'm really glad to see another build log of this kit, or any other Shipyard kit for that matter.

I will definitely take some inspiration from your work.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Started painting using the kit supplied paints. The interior is almost completely hidden, so I used that as my test area, and found I needed to improve my technique.

Shipyard's system is to paint a thinned down base coat with a cream color first. I found it best to let this dry at least 24 hours for the best results before painting this over with the wood color. Even then, it's important to use a thinned down wood color mixture (the instructions give you a formula), and to brush it on quickly, avoiding re-brushing as much as possible.

The model shown in the instructions show all the nail heads painted. I wasn't sure that I wanted to paint all the nail heads, but it turned out to be not all that difficult, and it went fairly quickly. I just had to proceed carefully with a very, very tiny brush, dabbing the paint into place.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0325.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0433.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0436.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0457.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0463.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0474.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0475.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0476.jpg

These boxed, laser-cut kits from Shipyard are interesting in that they provide the individual planks, pre-shaped, and it shows you how complex the real planks have to be in order to shape the complex curves of the ship's hull. As a builder of wooden ship models as well, it's an interesting lesson. But, I'm happy not to have to be shaping these pieces myself!

Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Wonderful series of photos showing off excellent modeling!
Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 PM

Thanks, but I think the photos are better at showing off the excellent kit!

Here's more. I finished the first rows of hull planking. I discovered that the instructions skip past the addition of the next two rows of planks, made up from planks 72 through 74. They aren't mentioned, but have to be added before going on to the next page in the instructions.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0489.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0492.jpgBremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0494.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0495.jpg

It's pretty easy going, though the painting takes time.

Clare

Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 PM

I continue with the hull planks and built and added the knees at the bow and stern and also the keel.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0502.jpg

Afterwards, I noticed that a pair of the planks slipped out of place as the glue was drying. This created a gap in the planks that required repair. I used a scalpel blade to cut underneath the planks, and reglued them.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0503.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0505.jpg

The repair went well, but planks in the new position are a bit too long, and I don't know why. I will cut them to length and will have to re-paint the nails in the ends.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
In spite of the slippage of one plank, after your repair, the hull bottom looks really good!

Don
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 PM

Thanks Don. I'm pretty pleased with the model so far.

The manufacturer, Shipyard, is just starting to produce a couple kits in very thin wood. They currently have a similar cog, the Wütender Hund, in wood. It's exactly the same as their card model kit, but in wood.

I have a feeling I might actually prefer the card model kit, as I don't think the repair would have been so easy in wood.

Google Adsense