Old 07-19-2021, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Incredible work, Tomek! I love this.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,
Thank you for opinions and comments.

The more I do, the more there is to do - some paradox :-)

So I finished up the planking and "closed" it with the rails (of course it's just the lower part of the handrail), which I ambitiously made in a printed standard without painting. There is some "pecking" and dugout, but it was worth it.
The upper planking made with an overlap planks was supposed to be easy, but it took a lot of time (try-on - retouch - slow glueing). These "boards" are 0.4 mm thick, as it seemed reasonable (so that it was not a thin cardboard and you could see some faults), but if you add inaccuracies, the thickness of the glue and other mistakes, it was probably better to make it from cardboard 0,3 mm. Anyway, it is already stuck and I will not tear it off. I missed retouching in a few places, but it can be fixed.

I also started making bulkheads, which will be covered with boards such as the sides. I added doors and posts, between which it will be necessary to fit this "paneling". Then sculptures will appear on the posts.

And here is the biggest challenge. All reliefs can be made on thicker cardboard, ambitious people will often plasticize it with thick glue, modeling clay or milliput. But I still have no idea how to design full 3D figures in the "cardboard standard": two lions at the top of the stern between which there is a "holy maiden" and something like Neptune above the galleries. Various attempts may take a long time, so for now I am trying to decorate taffrail and here I would like to thank my friend Tomasz Król (he is also a designer of cardboard models and a painter, many kits covers are his works), who, using his magic powers, drew a plasticized version.

So above there is an option for the lazy modelers - all on one surface, and a multi-layer version for the more ambitious ones. The masters will make it on their own carving in wood and other masses. I will probably stay at the intermediate version, because I wouldn't be able to make hand drawings on every single coat-of-arms.
And the port side (this one looks a bit better :-):

Greetings
Tomek
Old 08-01-2021, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Very nice touch of the "bas relief"
Old 08-01-2021, 12:44 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Beautiful work Tomek.
The colors and decorations are going to make a fine ship.
I tried to find the planking errors you describe, but I do not see them.
Mike
Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 AM

And again a little update.

@ Mike @ you know that the most mistakes in their work are seen by the builders themselves. So I will not "boast" what was done ugly :-))) Maybe nobody will notice.

@ wireandpaper @ - in Polish a bas-relief is either "flat-sculpture" or just "relief" (with a completely different pronunciation :-) Hence, I probably decided that "relief" in English would be enough. I looked in dictionaries and learned something new. Thanks.

At this stage, I have always had a problem with handrails with a lot of posts, which are difficult to prepare to be identical and fit. So this time I made them in the form of 1 mm thick "combs" glued in pairs, to which I glued 0.5 mm thick strips at the upper edge and masked the whole thing from the top with a 3 mm wide strip. To make it more understandable, below is a piece of such a handrail and the effect in the photo.

A much stronger solution. And how long does it take to cut these combs out of 1mm cardboard? I don't know, because I cut it with a laser :-) But if you think about cutting many posts to the right size and giving them appropriate bevels at the ends, the workload may be comparable.

Another batch of boards appeared on previously prepared bulkheads. Unfortunately, I did not retouch the side edges of each board (they were supposed to "hide" between the beams) and you can see some white spots. I hope that the carvings will hide it a bit and "soften" it.

The time has finally come to close the stern. From two layers, I prepared the entire bas-relief and glued it to the taffrail (asymmetrical - I know, but it will stay that way). On the edges, I glued thin strips (0.5 x 1.0 mm) to mask any inaccuracies. And just like with the side handrails, I also made the stern one in the form of a "comb", additionally engraving a small pattern. I am always afraid at this stage that all dimensions have been lost, and here is a real surprise: the laser-cut aft handrail fit literally without any adjustments. Finally, there are the horizontal protruding ends of this aft handrail, and this is how she looks today:

Greetings
Tomek
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Wow! Beautiful work
Old 08-10-2021, 10:07 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Lovely work Tomek.
The stern decorations are the part I like the best about sail ships.
I think it shows off the advantages of paper/card.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 08-10-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Better wording
Old 08-10-2021, 12:51 PM

Hi Tomec,
The stern decoration.
It maybe one of the best I’ve seen so far.
Beautifully done !
Old 08-10-2021, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Exceptional work, Tomec.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Looks fantastic! Beautiful stern.

Fred
Google Adsense