PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-23-2021, 07:48 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Great technique. I wonder what You use for railings - wire or thread? If thread how You make it stiff afterwards?

Thanks Sharunas. I am glad you like the railing. I use paper by cutting thin ribbons of it with a sharp xacto blade and a steel edged ruler to guide the cut. Once they are mounted in the template, I paint them. The paint provides stiffness and also holds the ribbons of paper together.
Mike
Old 05-23-2021, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good Mike.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
You have a sharp exacto and a stedy hand!
Old 05-25-2021, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Thanks Sharunas. I am glad you like the railing. I use paper by cutting thin ribbons of it with a sharp xacto blade and a steel edged ruler to guide the cut. Once they are mounted in the template, I paint them. The paint provides stiffness and also holds the ribbons of paper together.
Mike
I see, a very interesting technique. Thanks for sharing Michael.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:57 PM
POTM Moderator

10 – Funnel and Davits

Thank you Ab, Wireandpaper and David.
And thanks Maurice . . . for the clever humor!

In my introduction to this project (Nov 2020) I wrote the following:

Compared to past projects, I have much less information to rely on. . . . A few drawings and several foggy photos. That forms a large part of my attraction and motivation for this project.

Well . . . that has all changed.

Renaud has been busy digging and excavating the old bones of this ship. I am happy to say he has managed to discover a wealth of material about Neptune, and many other French vessels from this era. As a result of his discovery, he sent to me enough information to fill a small museum. The “archeological” phase of this project has come to a successful conclusion. Many many thanks Renaud! I sincerely appreciate your work.

So I began work with the funnel. I now have numerous photos to show various angles of the funnel and its details. It has a base that sits on the main deck, then it pokes through the upper deck above. The first two photos show some progress with that. However, in the meantime I began to get some ideas about creating the davits. So I went to work on them while the ideas were fresh.

Neptune’s main davits are unusually tall, to facilitate lifting the boats from their storage location inside the sheltered area, below the top deck. Then they are swung out over the side for deployment. So the aft davits measure about 36 feet (10.97 meters) and the forward davits measure about 34 feet (10.46 meters). Very tall davits. Ever since beginning this project, I have had a variety of ideas come and go about how to create them.

In photo number 068 one can see the series of openings running up and down the davits.
The first prototype was done the standard way. It is card, laminated to double thickness. The openings are represented as artwork . . . dark shaded areas to give the “appearance” of openings. It looks fine, and will serve well if no other method works.

The next attempt was to cut the openings by hand. At 1:250 scale, the openings are tiny. This method did not pass inspection . . . too sloppy. I attempted to cut them using my smallest paper punch, but it was too large for the task.

The third idea was to “build” the openings into the davits. The davit on card is designed to fold over on itself, for laminating and to provide detail on both sides. Before folding, the area representing the openings was cut out from top to bottom. Then a finely cut piece of paper, representing the cross pieces in the openings was inserted. The card was then glued and folded over on itself.

I was surprised to see that the davit with the cut-out openings (image 71 right) didn’t have a better appearance than the one with the openings represented as artwork (image 71 left) .

I’ll need more time to experiment with the davits.

Warm Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-064-funnel-parts.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-065-funnel-assembly.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-066-funnel-port-view.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-067-davit-development.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-068-neptune-stern-davits.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-069-davit-development.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-070-davit-development.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-071-final-davits.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 08-05-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2021, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating background information, Mike! Your usual outstanding work on the details, and excellent historic images to show the context (and to demonstrate how accurate your build is).

Don
Old 05-27-2021, 06:18 AM
POTM Moderator

Thank you Don.
Your comments are always motivating.
I hope you and Lil have an enjoyable holiday weekend.
Best Regards,
Mike
Old 05-27-2021, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
The one with the holes cut looks ok in the photo.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:27 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
The one with the holes cut looks ok in the photo.
I agree. Either of those two on the right will work if I can't create something better.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:10 AM
POTM Moderator

012 - Passerelle

I have been making a lot of parts . . . mast columns, mast platform, brackets and frame girders.

Among the material Renaud supplied me with, is a drawing (image 075) of the lower platform on the forward mast. One can see the measurements are there in millimeters. I can convert those to feet and that gives me the exact measurements for this assembly. The size and design of the support brackets on the underside can be extracted from this drawing as well.

The davits (image 072) are a combination of paper and card. The mast sections are paper. The mast house is paper and card. The girders are card. The Passerelle (upper deck) is card. The support brackets between the masts and Passerelle are laminated paper to provide details on both sides.

Construction of the Passerelle and the elements inside pose some challenges. I studied Golden Bear’s construction of Magenta for some ideas. That is the closest thing to Neptune, so it provided some insight. He created a jig around which to build the Paserrelle, its walls and the interior boat storage frames. I admire his method. But I took a different approach. I decided to build the Passerelle, its frame and all the elements inside of it, before installing the walls.

What the French architects call a “Passerelle”, is normally referred to as a shelter deck, on American vessels. Shelter decks are normally single story structures whereas this Passerelle is between two and three stories in height.

As a result of the test fit in the final image, I can see the girders near the midship barbettes will be in the way. So those will need to be modified.

The caption with the historical photo stated “Brest 1893”. But I think that is not correct.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-072-mid-ship-davits-completed.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-073-mast-parts-frames.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-074-mast-parts-frames.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-075-forward-mast-lower-platform.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-076-mast-top-deck-brackets-sketchup.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-077-masts-frames.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-078-upper-deck.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-079-underside-passerelle.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-080-passerelle-mast-columns.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-081-starboard-overview.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-082-neptune-starboard.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 08-04-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Google Adsense