PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-09-2021, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I am assuming that we don't see this hull shape on modern ships partly because it looks like it would be a bear to load. That last photo looks like they were lightering cargo or people and it looks like it would be a circus act to accomplish either.
You are definitely doing this up proud
Old 07-12-2021, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good Mike.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The outstanding work continues, Mike. Neptune is a good-looking ship (albeit something like the ship in the Monopoly game), and the new details of davits, masts, and mast houses continue the high standard.

I remember previous discussions of passerelle. My Petit Larousse says that a passerelle is a bridge, footbridge, or gangway, and the term seems to be used nowadays primarily for gangways. I found it interesting that the term refers to a “shelter deck.” When I was researching and writing my amphib book, I found that Liberty ships were “shelter deck vessels,” and so dug into the meaning of “shelter deck.” Originally (I know I am telling you what you and most of the readers of this thread already know), the shelter deck was a deck raised above the topmost deck to protect deck cargo from the weather. Later, there were financial implications: since the shelter deck was open to the weather, that cargo space did not count toward the tonnage on which charges were calculated. Shipowners took advantage of that by almost totally enclosing the shelter deck but making sure there were sufficient openings to qualify (in some cases, a single “tonnage hatch”). The Liberty ships were built as “closed shelter deck vessels” for wartime use, but with provision for openings in peacetime, when they could sail as “open shelter deck ship[s], with suitable reduction in draught and net deadweight capacity [and decreased tonnage charges].” [Bourneouf, p. 28]

All this is based on:

Gus Bourneuf Jr., Workhorse of the Fleet: A history of the design and experiences of the Liberty Ships built by American Shipbuilders during WWII, Spring, TX: American Bureau of Shipping, 2008.

René de Kerchove, International Maritime Dictionary, Princeton, NJ: D. Van Nostrand Company, 1961.

I wonder if there is any connection between the passerelle and the “hurricane deck” of a river boat?

Sorry for the diversion, but I got kind of carried away.

Don
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thanks Don for the contributing information concerning “Shelter Deck” and “Passerelle”.
The references and research you offer are always helpful and welcome.
I am a bit guilty of using both terms without the kind of supporting information you have provided.

I am not certain of this, but I think my first encounter with the term “shelter deck” came while building one of the Digital Navy kits . . . either U.S.S. Oregon or U.S.S. Arizona. Both have a raised deck area in the central part of the ship with the area below enclosed. Except for U.S.S. Connecticut, none of the other vessels I built had that sort of configuration. The American “shelter decks” were about one story (about 7ft) high. So I ended up loosely applying the term to this 2 ½ story area on Neptune (that quite honestly is not like any other except her sister ship Magenta). I first encountered the term “Passerelle” while watching Golden Bear build one of his French Predreadnought ships. I don’t recall getting a proper definition for it, but he seemed to use it when referring to the unique raised decks that connected forward superstructures with aft superstructures. Something like a catwalk. This central structure on Neptune (that looks like a medieval walled fortress) should probably not be called a “shelter deck” or a “passerelle”. But for lack of a proper term, and struggling to come to grips with what to call it, I ended up falling back on those words. Building one of these is a process of discovery and education. I think before this project is complete, there is a very good chance of discovering (or being told) the term the French architects would have used for this type of structure.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 07-13-2021 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 07-13-2021, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Building one of these is a process of discovery and education.
And probably an important part of the overall experience.
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2021, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Hi, Mike..

I'm following this thread with a great attention and interest...
Is coming out (again.. :-)...), a masterpiece of model, and mot important, totally scratch built !!

Looking forward for the next updates

Happy paper (ship) modeling !!

ciao
Jp
Old 08-07-2021, 12:19 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
013 - Canon installé en barbette

Thank You VerminKing, David, Don, SouthWestForests and JP!
Your comments provide motivation, and I am happy to hear from fans of old ships like this one.

I added the finishing details to the funnel, including 8 steampipes. The test fit between the decks worked fine. One can see its details in the old black/white photo. The funnel covers (closed while in port) will be quite delicate, so I’ll add those toward the end of the project.

Image 088 shows the gun barrel and the parts for mounting it on top of the barbette. The barrel was made from wood (95%) and paper (5%). I attempted various versions of the gun made of 100% paper, but could not arrive at a satisfactory appearance. It has a pair of conical sections that are very difficult to produce in 1:250 scale. The old photo (image 089) shows all of its detail nicely. That image provides an excellent look at what I am trying to replicate.

The gun barbette assembly passed inspection, so I’ll need to create three more.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-084-funnel-assembly-steampipes-03.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-085-view-funnel-port-bow.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-086-port-side-overview.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-087-neptune-funnel-view.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-088-barbette-gun-parts-340mm.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-089-340mm-28-modele-1881-gun.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-090-340mm-barbette-gun-parts.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-091-canon-en-barbette.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-092-stern-340mm-gun-barbette.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 08-07-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice work on the Gunbarrel Mike.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb work on the main ordnance, Mike!

Don
Old 08-08-2021, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Mike,
Very neatly prepared parts on smooth hull.
Wonderful !
Google Adsense