PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-28-2020, 05:40 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thank You Wolfgang.
Those barbette guns will require more detailed work, than standard armored turrets.
Mike
Old 11-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi!

This is an educative thread for me. Looks very professional (as always in your models) and especially clean! I am almost jealous... Good job on the correction. Why did you make the "wrong bulkhead" in the first place? Was it supposed to be so inclined or, as you corrected it, straight?

-Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-28-2020, 01:13 PM
POTM Moderator

Hello Radek: Why did I make the "wrong bulkhead" in the first place?
I do not know. I had checked each one earlier to make certain they were correct.
So it remains a mystery. Anyway, thanks for the kind words.
Mike
Old 11-28-2020, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Not being a naval guy, I may be out of my league.

however, technically speaking, I wonder how effective this battleship was. It is essentially a motorized ship with conventional side pointing, muzzle loaded cannons ( with some turrets ), that is probably mostly wood but is armored plated. So it was probably very slow and maybe top heavy which is not a good thing in rough seas. However, if it is a river boat or shoreline ship, it may have been OK.

In addition, the sloping side armor at the waterline makes it easy to board the ship if it is swarmed by small row boats.

Anyway, looks like a magnificent ship. Full of character.

Isaac
Old 11-28-2020, 03:00 PM
POTM Moderator

Hello Isaac: Your observations are very good for not being a “naval guy”. This vessel was built primarily during the mid to late 1880s, and finished around 1892. By the time it was finished, it had been superseded by more updated battleships. It was indeed intended for open ocean operations and served mostly in the Mediterranean Sea. Most of the shortcomings you point out are true, however she and her sister ships were never tested in battle. Even though it was not their intention, the builders created, now 130 years later, "dream projects" for modelers like me. They make excellent display and conversation pieces in my home, and they always provide inspiration.
Thanks for the motivating comments.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-28-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2020, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Neptune

She was an all-steel ship, the first one in the world being the French Redoutable, 1876 (instead of wrought iron used until then). And her guns were not muzzle-loaded, such as those of her British competitors, but breech-loaded.
Too much top heavy, and she did not like lateral wind, too, a feature adding some more to this disadvantage. The next ship, designed by the same engineer, was the Charles-Martel, with large cuts into the superstructure, to leave the wind come through.
Unlike the main artillery of the Hoche, where the two 340 mm, front and rear, were set into enclosed turrets, the four 340 mm guns of the Neptune were here all fitted in open barbettes, this to reduce weight. So they could be set a little higher above water level, to prevent a major drawback, concerning the Hoche, the flooding of the foredeck when speed exceeded 13 knots: the enclosed turrets were here so heavy that the front and aft decks that they had to be set too close to water level. Remember the capsizing of the British Captain in 1873, the central turrets being next to water level.
The side 240 mm guns of the Hoche, not the heavy 340, were set into open barbettes to help reducing weight, this is why they could be higher above water than the front and aft 340.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:49 PM

any closer pics of the ship details?

Isaac
Old 11-28-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
She was an all-steel ship, the first one in the world being the French Redoutable, 1876 (instead of wrought iron used until then). And her guns were not muzzle-loaded, such as those of her British competitors, but breech-loaded.
Too much top heavy, and she did not like lateral wind, too, a feature adding some more to this disadvantage. The next ship, designed by the same engineer, was the Charles-Martel, with large cuts into the superstructure, to leave the wind come through.
Unlike the main artillery of the Hoche, where the two 340 mm, front and rear, were set into enclosed turrets, the four 340 mm guns of the Neptune were here all fitted in open barbettes, this to reduce weight. So they could be set a little higher above water level, to prevent a major drawback, concerning the Hoche, the flooding of the foredeck when speed exceeded 13 knots: the enclosed turrets were here so heavy that the front and aft decks that they had to be set too close to water level. Remember the capsizing of the British Captain in 1873, the central turrets being next to water level.
The side 240 mm guns of the Hoche, not the heavy 340, were set into open barbettes to help reducing weight, this is why they could be higher above water than the front and aft 340.
Those are huge guns for a relatively small ship.

As for the CG point, I wonder if in those days they model tested the boat correctly before they built it. And simulated it in heavy seas.

Isaac

Isaac
Old 11-28-2020, 06:43 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
any closer pics of the ship details?

Isaac

Images of Neptune are scarce. I don't have as many as I would like.
Here is one of the stern area. It is a good quality image and shows the stern main gun clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-330-neptune.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 07:02 PM

The ship looks like an inspiration for some of the Star Wars vehicles and other Sci Fi subjects.

Really cool. Looking forward to see it built.

Isaac
Google Adsense