PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-13-2021, 02:48 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
07 – Ceinture cuirassée

Time for a few more photos here . . . after the remaining upper hull sections were installed.
The “Ceinture cuirassée” (Armor Belt), ties the upper and lower hulls together.

I included image 41 to show how I get gravity to work for me, instead of against me. I was working with the armor belt, so I used a rubber band to keep the ship in the cradle. Then I clamped the cradle at 90-degrees to my work bench to make the work more convenient. This technique worked out well.

The “tumblehome” characteristics always require additional labor to replicate. I think this one went well. The semi-circular trim covers below the wing turrets extending down the side of the hull required multiple “test fittings” to arrive at the proper contour . . . matching the tumblehome as best I could.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-039-stern-upper-hull.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-040-stern-upper-hull.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-041-work-armor-belt.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-042-hull-completed-port-stern.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-043-hull-completed-port-side.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-044-hull-completed-starboard-side.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-13-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Looks great, Mike, lots of tricky curves!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That austere hull prior to upperworks and fittings is very beautiful.

Don
Old 03-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 440.44 MB
Hello Mike,

Thumbs up!!!!
Absolute great work from you!

Cheers, Wiwo
Old 03-21-2021, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Hello Mike,

It’s good to watch you adjust the flat paper to this intricate shape!
Regards, Joe
Old 03-21-2021, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
That is an impressive looking vessel! Looks like a weird mating between a locomotive and a dockside warehouse.
Following along with much anticipation.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:08 PM
POTM Moderator

Thank you Fred, Don, Wolfgang and Joe. I appreciate the encouraging remarks.

Thanks Greg: I agree with your description. The French naval architects made sure each of their old battleships was unique. That is one of the things about them that attracts me as a builder. Each one is something new, and each one presents new challenges.

Mike
Old 04-06-2021, 05:53 AM
POTM Moderator

08 – Middle Passarelle Deck?

This project has arrived at an interesting “Decision”.

The images tell the story.

Image 046 is a highly detailed overhead “X-Ray” view of the interior area from the main deck to the top deck. It seems to contain the outline of the “Middle Passarelle Deck”. . . . that is, if I am interpreting the drawing correctly. There is a lot going on in this image, and without more information, I cannot be certain of much of what I think I am seeing.

Image 047 is the same view, but I have outlined in blue, what I think is the “Middle Passarelle Deck”.

Image 048 is a 3D rendering showing the Main Deck, and above that the Middle Deck, and above that the Top Deck.

My outline of the Middle Deck still contains some errors and needs more work, but the larger question is whether or not to bother with it. Most of it will not be seen in the final model. It would be fun to build the Middle Deck and add some of the interior details shown on the drawing. But I risk doing a lot of work, only to discover my interpretation of the drawing is not correct, and therefore not authentic.

If any viewers of this work have any drawings or photos that would clarify this, feel free to post them to this thread. Without more clarity, I may need to abandon the idea of including the “Middle Deck”, and go ahead without it. As one can see in the final photo of Neptune (late in her career painted gray), a wall extends across the area between the two masts, hiding almost everything between the top deck and the main deck.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-046-neptune-overhead-high-resolution.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-047-blue-outline-middle-deck.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-048-proposed-decks-3d.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-049-neptune-gray.jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
It would be fun to build the Middle Deck and add some of the interior details shown on the drawing. But I risk doing a lot of work, only to discover my interpretation of the drawing is not correct, and therefore not authentic.
Sorry Mike, could not help with any information, but I would do the same. Sometimes it is better to keep it simple than guess what it might be.

Also wanted to say that I admire Your interest and achievements in building Ironclads. It happened only recently when pre-dreadnaught era ships drew my attention. Never realised before how unique and impressive those vessels looked. Even ordered a book about early French ironclad "Redoutable" from 1870s.

Good luck with Your builds!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM
POTM Moderator

Thanks Sharunas: I hope you enjoy your book about the “Redoutable”. I located an excellent image of her on Wikipedia. Interesting ship . . . one can see the evolution to later hull designs.
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-050-le-redoubtable.jpg  
Google Adsense