PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-08-2020, 06:09 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale

This commences my build report for the RF Neptune.
Recreating this old vessel (Scratch Build) will be like an adventure in archeology.
Compared to past projects, I have much less information to rely on. . . . A few drawings and several foggy photos. That forms a large part of my attraction and motivation for this project. It is a nautical modeling voyage into the unknown. The most significant clues have come from our colleague in France, Renaud. They will form the mainstay of the effort. Perhaps I can extract enough DNA to bring her back to life.

I don’t know whether to call this an “IronClad”, or a “Battleship”.
It is a bit late (1892) for the term Ironclad, however it is too early to be properly called a battleship.
I think they were still using the term Ironclad in 1892, and the word battleship came into use later.

This impressionistic painting by Eduard Gigot shows Neptune docked on the river Penfeld, in Northwestern France. As far as I can tell, the painting was created in 1892, meaning this may show her just as she is being completed for service. The main guns can be seen in a shade of orange. Perhaps that was the primer just prior to their final coat of paint.

Here are the first images of the hull frames. All the pieces are 62lb card, doubled/laminated.
The frame images may be difficult to interpret. I used a new method for doubling the thickness of the parts. Image number 6 offers a description to help make sense of it.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-001-rf-neptune-edmond-chagot.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-002-mainframes.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-003-keel-frames.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-004-printed-hull-frames.jpg   French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-005-printed-hull-frames.jpg  

French Ironclad Neptune 1:250 Scale-006-frame-17-detail.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-08-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Very nice, Mike!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Good luck with this. I based my Bragosso off paintings, but there were many paintings of them. Sounds like you may have to rely more on logic and imagination
Old 11-09-2020, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am delighted to see that you have begun another pre-dreadnaught capital ship. It is always a great pleasure to see your research and the application of your skill and craft.

Incidentally, Theodore Ropp (The Development of a Modern Navy: French Naval Policy 1871-1904, Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1987, p. 58) calls it a "battleship." Oscar Parkes (British Battleships Warrior 1860 to Vanguard 1950: A History of Design, COnstruction, and Armament, London: Seeley Service, 1966, pp. 307 and 330) uses the terms "battleship" and "armoured ship." The Wiki article calls it an "ironclas barbette ship" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ironclad_Neptune).

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 11-09-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 AM
POTM Moderator

Thanks Fred, VerminKing and Don.

Don: I appreciate the information about the terminology. It certainly reflects the era of transition marking the late 19th century.

Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-09-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi Mike,

This is off to a good start! I like the way you fold the card over to double the thickness of the bulwarks. Do you cut first one side, then fold, then the other or do you cut both sides out before folding the card?

Maybe the cannons are not orange, but the painter used a more reddish color to paint the mirroring of the reddish parts and the orange-like superstructure on the metallic shine of the cannons? The first cannon appears more black than the others...

Whatever the case, I am looking forward to and feel honored to partake in this voyage at which end awaits a resurrected Ironclad Neptune!

Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdK View Post
Hi Mike,

This is off to a good start! I like the way you fold the card over to double the thickness of the bulwarks. Do you cut first one side, then fold, then the other or do you cut both sides out before folding the card?

Maybe the cannons are not orange, but the painter used a more reddish color to paint the mirroring of the reddish parts and the orange-like superstructure on the metallic shine of the cannons? The first cannon appears more black than the others...

Whatever the case, I am looking forward to and feel honored to partake in this voyage at which end awaits a resurrected Ironclad Neptune!

Radek

Thanks Radek. Regarding the card frames: First I fold and glue the card at the deck/fold line. All the cutting is done after that.
However, if one does not want to cut through thick doubled card stock, the cutting could be done before the part is folded and glued.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-09-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Neptune

Hey conductor, you must slow down... leave me some more time to let you know how to fulfill your dream, although some blind spots will remain here and there, Neptune is somewhat of a piece of archeology.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:31 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
Hey conductor, you must slow down... leave me some more time to let you know how to fulfill your dream, although some blind spots will remain here and there, Neptune is somewhat of a piece of archeology.

Ah . . . It is good to hear from you Renaud!
I’ll try to slow it down. But don’t worry. The assembly work has not yet begun.
Mike
Old 11-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Hello Mike

your new build is promising and inspiring!
Good ideas and precise planning again.
Regards, Joe