PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-02-2022, 08:03 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
15 – Midship Deck

Hello Friends,

Midship bulwarks (Image 113) were added behind each turret to support the catwalk/deck (card) that will lead back from the forward superstructure. The catwalk/deck will hold the lantern towers. The Galley/Dining hall now has (paper) support columns for the catwalk. The lantern towers will not be glued into position until later, to reduce the risk of damage.

There are two Galleys shown in image 116. The one on the left is the prototype. You may notice the one on the right has darker windows. I used a thin film of glue over those windows. When you shine a light on them, they reflect like glass. I tried to get a decent photo of it, but alas, no luck. I’ll use this technique again later in the project, so perhaps I can get a good photo then.

The Funnel Service Ladders (Image 118) are laser cut. Their support brackets are hand cut. The parts shown in image 118 are so thin, I needed to put a cube behind them to help my camera focus properly. The ladders are installed on the backside of the funnel (Image 119). It all comes together in the overview (Image 120).

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-113-midship-turret-bulwarks-05.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-114-midship-catwalk-02.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-115-midship-catwalk.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-116-galley-dining-roof-columns-02.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-117-galley-dining-roof-columns.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-118-funnel-service-ladders-01.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-119-ladders-lantern-towers-02.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-120-overview.jpg  
Old 01-02-2022, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
This is a great model Mike. I think we are looking at the next MOTM!
By the way, what card did you use for the framing? Can you please measure it in millimeters?
The way you treated this hull makes me think that one of your next models must be a sailing ship. You made a stunning hull here!
Ab
Old 01-02-2022, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Excellent Mike! So sharp, clean and pristine work with the ship.

Tappi
Old 01-02-2022, 12:20 PM
POTM Moderator

Thank you Tappi.

Thanks Ab. Regarding the material used to frame the hull: In the US, cardstock is normally measured and sold in terms of “pound weight”. For instance, 110 lb cardstock is widely used in card modeling. I use 65 lb cardstock for things like decks. Then I laminate/double it for hull frames. So the hull frame here would be doubled to 130 lb. But to answer your question, I did some research to see if I could translate that to “millimeters” for you. I came up with a number of 0.3048 mm thick for my doubled card stock. That sounds thin, and I am not confident in my calculations. However, when I put it up against my ruler, it does seem to be a bit less than half a millimeter thick. Based on what I have observed here on this website, it does seem like I use frames thinner than what most shipbuilders use.
With most of the kits I assembled in the past, publishers recommend laminating the frames to 1 mm thick. I know mine are not quite that thick. Anyway, glad you like the hull. I was trying to come up with something original with this project. So far it has been fun.

New Year Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 01-02-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 01-02-2022, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you Mike for your explanation. 0.3 sounds incredibly thin. I often use 1.3 mm and have to double it for the butts of the covers. You must have a very light touch. I often keep my models between my thighs to work on them and it sounds as if yours would be squeezed if you did the same.
You sure did something original (in my humble opinion). Can we vote your latest picture to be MOTM?
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2022, 12:40 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhovi View Post
Thank you Mike for your explanation. 0.3 sounds incredibly thin. I often use 1.3 mm and have to double it for the butts of the covers. You must have a very light touch. I often keep my models between my thighs to work on them and it sounds as if yours would be squeezed if you did the same.
You sure did something original (in my humble opinion). Can we vote your latest picture to be MOTM?
Thank you for the compliment Ab. Back when POTM was called POTW (picture of the week), I had two or three projects featured. So I have been very lucky. Now as POTM Moderator, I think it is fair to let the work of others be featured. Unfortunately, there is much more great work than there are months in the year. I know I won’t be able to show all the work that deserves recognition, so I do my best with it.
Mike

p.s. I forgot to mention: If you see something you think should be featured as POTM, you are welcome to send me a "private message", and I'll be happy review it.

Last edited by Michael Mash; 01-02-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 01-05-2022, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Light touch I'd say! Those ladders are nearly invisible and yet perfect, no warping at all from the cutting. Your work is always so meticulously done. Love it.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Absolutely gorgeous. You should post a picture of your entire collection one of these days.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Outstanding work, sir.

Ab is correct. It would be worthy.
You are correct. It is hard to pick your own project.
You can be proud regardless
Old 01-06-2022, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good mike

Google Adsense