PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-02-2021, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
My congratulation

Hallo Micheal, my congratulation

for your "german " ulfberth model!!!
Having a fantasy model or better a neverwere as picture or a 3d model is one thing, but building it is something different!
I have some of this desingns whether by myself, by friends or as a neverwere on disc as 3d model, but as a german i didn t dare to built one of them.
But it's great to see such a model getting into shape!
I'm looking forward to see the completed model of yours !

My congratulation from the other side of the atlantic

Thomas
Old 05-02-2021, 04:46 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Vielen Dank Thomas.
I appreciate the kind and encouraging comments.
Mike
Old 05-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.31 MB
A very interesting and colourful design. Do you have plans anywhere so when I gain some experience I might make a copy for my shelf? I have been a member here for several years but now have some time to commit on this hobby. I noticed you said you used SketchUp to make the model. Most people I know use that for architecture. Do you find it good for naval architecture? Are you able to flatten all of the shapes using SU?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:23 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBrother View Post
A very interesting and colourful design. Do you have plans anywhere so when I gain some experience I might make a copy for my shelf? I have been a member here for several years but now have some time to commit on this hobby. I noticed you said you used SketchUp to make the model. Most people I know use that for architecture. Do you find it good for naval architecture? Are you able to flatten all of the shapes using SU?

Regarding plans: Sorry I do not have any plans or drawings to send you for this ship. It was intended as simply a “one-of-a-kind” personal project, so I made no provisions to allow others to duplicate it.

Regarding SketchUp: Yes, it works well for naval architecture. I use it to create the parts and assemblies for nearly every area of the project. In fact, it has the potential to do much more than I use it for. Almost all of my work is done in 2D. But I think most people use it in 3D.
As far as I know, there are additional features called “Extensions” that can be downloaded for the program and are useful for things like flattening shapes. I have not used them, so I can’t provide any information for those.

Its nice to read you are planning to spend some time with this kind of work. I hope you enjoy it.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 05-03-2021 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
I love this project more with each new image posted and detail described. Your workmanship is nothing short of artistry.
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.31 MB
Thanks, when I first saw the picture I thought I was looking at a French or Russian per-dreadnought and started researching the name to no avail until I figured it out. A classic design.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.09 MB
Fantastic model Michael.

I really like the hull plating. It's inspirational. You've got me thinking again.

PX
Old 06-13-2021, 05:04 AM
POTM Moderator

09 – Railing and Guns

Thank you BluntBrother, PX and Greg.

The first three images show the first template of railing for this project. I tried to show some of the process of applying the paint, which needs to be done on both sides.
This is "3-stringer railing" designed for the navigation and bridge decks.

To augment the main armament, Ulberht is being designed to carry eight 152mm (6-inch) guns in single turrets. Two will be located on the main deck, two will be located on the quarter deck, and four will be located in the sides of the upper hull. The barrels are rolled from paper. The turret sides, roofs and gun carriages are made of paper. The turret floors are made of card.

I am working to add extra details such as . . . . the features you see on the gun carriages . . . . also detailed sliding doors on the back of the turrets for entry & exit. Using the Macro mode on my camera, I was able to get a view of the printed rivets seen in image 69. The inspiration for the gun carriage design comes from drawings of French 138mm guns.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-065-nav-deck-railing-template.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-066-nav-deck-railing-template.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-067-nav-deck-railing-template.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-068-six-inch-gun-barrels.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-069-six-inch-turret-parts.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-070-six-inch-barrels-turrets-02.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-071-six-inch-turrets.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-072-six-inch-turrets-02.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-073-test-fit-starboard-6-inch-turret.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-074-side-mounted-six-inch-gun-turret.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 06-13-2021 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Added more comments
Old 06-22-2021, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Hello Mike !
The usual precise work, it turns out very nicely.

One note: Figure 071 shows the gun turret sliding door with the rail.
The handle and the locking device are usually placed on the side opposite the rail at the sliding doors.
But I may have misinterpreted something ...

Regards, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-071-six-inch-turrets.jpg  
Old 06-22-2021, 02:24 PM
POTM Moderator

Thanks Joe.
I think you are correct. You have a better eye for detail than me.
The one in the photo is a prototype. I will check the others for this error.
Mike
Google Adsense