PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Thank you very much for your fast response!

I'm looking to see more of your ulfberth battleship!!

Good Luck to you!!!

Thomas
Old 12-26-2020, 03:10 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
03 – Hull Plates (Planking)

I gather inspiration from the many fine sail ship builders on this site. They make great hulls.
The planking always seems to be done well, and they have a very authentic wood appearance.
Despite the fact that this is not a sail ship, some of that inspiration has carried into this project.
This is a much different scale, and it mimics steel, not wood. However some of the same ideas can be pursued if one is will to do enough work.

I have experimented with hull plates on my previous two projects. So this is a good time to try creating steel hull plates on the underwater hull. Since I am not required to replicate the look of a real warship, I am free to try this method and see how it holds up to scrutiny during the ongoing hull construction.

The individual plates, printed on paper, measure 14 feet by 5 feet. Depending on the underlying compound curvature of the hull, in some places I had to install single plates. In many areas I was able to install groups of 4, 5, 6 or even 8 connected plates at a time. I used an “overlapping” method throughout, so most of the hull has a double layer of plates.

This may provide an adequate foundation for the hull work going forward . . . We will see.
Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-016-grip-block-attached.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-017-port-side-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-018-stern-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-019-stern-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-020-lower-hull.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-021-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-022-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-023-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-024-hull-plates-finished.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-26-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 12-27-2020, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
Another exraordinary project!
That hull work looks most impressive.
Regards
Old 01-05-2021, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi Michael,

Those connected hull plates, how will you make them visible when painting the hull ?? are you going to score these connected plates to make them visible ?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Hello Mike,

Looks good, very straight.
And it looks strong ...

Regards, Joe
Old 01-05-2021, 11:14 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe711 View Post
Hello Mike,

Looks good, very straight.
And it looks strong ...

Regards, Joe

Thanks Joe.
Strong frame for a strong ship.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:17 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMGD View Post
Hi Michael,

Those connected hull plates, how will you make them visible when painting the hull ?? are you going to score these connected plates to make them visible ?

Hello John,
I won't be painting this one.
Since this is an experimental project, I made an extra effort to install the plates in some kind of proper order, and neatly laid out. We will see how this appearance holds up as the work goes on.
I have been inspired by the great hulls you have shown here, so if you have any suggestions, they are welcome.
Mike
Old 01-05-2021, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Wow!

This looks great! You managed to nail the hull plates in a perfect rounded shape! I like the steel boats very much and was originally planning to make the great destroyers and aircraft carriers from my paper model collection, but somehow got stuck in the "age of sail"...

Looking forward to seeing more of this experiment! You could though try some experimental painting...

-Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 01-09-2021, 03:01 PM
POTM Moderator

04 – Decks

Thanks for the comments, Greg, Joe, John and Radek.

After test fitting the propellers, it was time to begin installation of the main deck, stern deck and wing decks. The deck colors and details worked out well. After experimenting with lighter and darker wood colors, this shade was chosen.

The wing decks were finalized only after lengthy consideration about the location of the planned torpedo boats. There needed to be room for the torpedo boats below the gun barrels of the wing turrets. The wing deck area on the forward side of the barbette provided a good storage location for the torpedo boats, being 9 feet (2.75 meters) below the main deck. Also, since they will be out of reach of the ship’s cranes, it will provide an opportunity to explore some creative options for boat deployment. On the stern side of the wing barbette, there will be room for auxiliary boat storage being within reach of the cranes.

I experimented with various shades of dark blue to use for the wing decks, wing barbettes and upper hull sides. The final image of the barbettes and wing walls gives a good view of the color that was chosen. I suppose it lies somewhere between Navy Blue and Midnight Blue.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-025-propeller-assemblies.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-026-propeller-assemblies-installed.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-027-ulfberht-wood-deck-graphic.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-028-test-fit-stern-wing-decks.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-029-stern-view-decks.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-030-bow-view-decks.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-031-barbettes-wing-walls.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 01-09-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 01-09-2021, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Splendid work, Mike!

This is a fascinating project.

Don
Google Adsense