PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-22-2021, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Really beautiful work!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
That's phenomenal actually!
I am intrigued how exactly you manage to shape the hull sides so well - there is no seams and yet the compound curve changes quite a lot from one point to another?
Also the rails - ae they lasercuts or could you descrie the process around them?
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-22-2021, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Both phenomenal and impressive. Congratulations on such a beautiful build.

Derek
Old 06-23-2021, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
That's phenomenal actually!
I am intrigued how exactly you manage to shape the hull sides so well - there is no seams and yet the compound curve changes quite a lot from one point to another?
Also the rails - ae they lasercuts or could you descrie the process around them?
Regards,
Alan
Hello, Alan
and hello to all paper modelers !!

first of all, thanks for all the friends, here, that have appreciated the building of this model...
Coming back to your question, Alan, the answer about the railing is that I haven't used at all any laser-cut element on this model (and also on other models), but I build by myself, in paper, all the rails..

The construction is quite simple to explain, but it requires a lot of care and attention, and moreover, the use of very sharp blade cutter.

The sequence, usually, is the following :

1) Drawing on a heavy paper the silhouette (horizontal and vertical lines) of the rail to be realized, indicating exactly on the vertical lines the ones where there will be a change of direction of the rail, once placed on the model;

2) cut the paper all around the drawn rails, being careful to leave visible where the horizontal and vertical lines are dropping (this will permit to see where glue the little pieces of paper of the rails)

3) with a metallic ruler and a very sharp (but really very sharp) blade, typically an X-11 blade, I cut a series of very thin paper stripes from a 140 or 160 gr/m paper foil. Is important, at this stage, do not color the paper, otherwise it will be too soft for a sharp and straight cut.
Is important also that each stripe should be around 0,2 - 0,3 mm thick (is possible with a very sharp blade, a good ruler and a firm hand) and the length should be around 20 cm.
Another "trick" is to cut some of such paper stripes a bit larger than others, to use in the vertical rail where there ill be a change of direction of the railing.

4) once cut each long strip, I cut each stripe in many pieces (length around 1,5 - 2 cm) and such little pieces will be glued on the vertical marker of the railing silhouette realized as described in point 1 and 2. Usually here I apply a drop of glue (vinilic white glue that became transparent when dry ) at the end of each little piece using the point of a metallic needle.

5) once glued on the paper all the vertical stripes, then I glue the horizontal rail lines, putting a little drop of glue in each intersection between each vertical and horizontal stripe.

6) I leave to dry all for quite 24 hour, and after I pass a black or dark grey ink pen (are good the ones for the white boards .. but the pen ink should be not too liquid) along each line both front and back .. so the rail becomes dark quite without any white spot.

7) Then I cut the rails, removing with the sharp blade each paper part of the lines that extend over the upper, lower and horizontal limits of the rails.

8) When cut, I pre-form on a flat surface each "change of direction" of the rail, before to put it at his place and glue each end of vertical rail to the deck with a little spot of the same white glue I have used before.

And that's all... is not simple, at the beginning, but with the time you can understand how to make it better, and most important, which paper to be use for the railing... the paper type is very important in order to have a rail that is simple to cut and to model along the surfaces.

Hoping such explanation could help you and other friends here...

Happy paper modeling

Ciao
Jp
Old 06-25-2021, 05:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Incredible description. That's a lot of work. Surprised you choose a white board marker over a sharpy. Sharpy markers won't liquify the paper. Admittedly I won't be using your method, at 58 yrs old I may never get one or two more models done before, well you know. Your results however are breathtaking.
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Incredible description. That's a lot of work. Surprised you choose a white board marker over a sharpy. Sharpy markers won't liquify the paper. Admittedly I won't be using your method, at 58 yrs old I may never get one or two more models done before, well you know. Your results however are breathtaking.
You can too... I’m “only” 57!!!
;-)
Ciao
Jp
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.92 MB
Thank you so mush for showing your great work!
And those details...
I don't want to buy ships anymore
Old 06-25-2021, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Tremendous model. You make some spectacular and very beautiful boats
Old 07-23-2021, 05:09 AM

Hi all papermodelers !!!

just taking a bit of breathing from the complete of the Borodino' upper decks, I started to work on the boats (torpedo boats, steam boats, oar boars, lauches and dinghies) of this ship.

I have started with the first couple of 18m steam torpedo boats, that I'm still in working with all the deck structures and elements and I hope to terminate this first two steam boats within the weekend.

In the building phases I have changed completely the hull cover way.... instead to use the parts already printed, I have tried (for the the first time) to cover the hull of such boats in the same way as the ship's hull....

So I have measure, cut, colored and glued the paper strips for the underwater part and the upper part of the hull.

As for the first time I'm not completely satisfied neither unsatisfied about the result... It could be done better, but we'll see to make this technique better in the future.

So, looking at the build sequence, I just post some pics about the actual stage of the two boats.

Have a nice time and an happy paper-modeling.... and ... take care!

Ciao

Jp

Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello JP,
I see your method for building the torpedo boat hulls. Not easy, but they look good.
From time to time I have considered building small boats that way, but at 1:250 scale, it is a difficult task.
I estimate the length of your torpedo boats to be 72mm (2.8 inches).
I enjoy watching you experiment with different techniques. Great work.
Mike
Google Adsense