PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello everybody,

thank you for advices and suggestions. The word "waistcloths" is the one I needed.

Unfortunately, as I was afraid, the waistcloths caused a huge problem and took a long time and the effect is poor. I have tried to shape these hanging canvases from various kinds of silkspan, from tissue paper, paper towels, from a fine weave cloth, dry or wet, and no attempts have produced acceptable results. But in the end I had to decide on something and the choice fell on one of the silkspan. It looks "average" - better than me will do it better. I can always declare that this is just a "test model" :-)))

I am still not sure what exactly such solutions looked like, and perhaps an additional difficulty is the fact that there could be just different solutions for different vessels. In the paintings from those years, waistcloths look as if they "lay", but again on some plans and studies you can see frames on which these canvases "hang" rather than "lie".

In any case, this stage is over and it is time to put up the masts.
I tried to make standing rigging in a way that is probably typical for small Dutch ships. I used the Heemskerck and Zeehaen plans.
I had a few problems, because I used old cyanoacrylate glue which turned snow white when dry. So all shrouds had to be painted black. A bit of laziness, and a bit "because it is a test model" :-))), fore shrouds and a fore stay are the same thickness as main shrouds and a main stay, which of course caused further problems, because there is "too tight" at the top of the foremast. And I still have to push the other ropes from the running rigging there.

Blocks and deadeyes are made of pressboard.

The model looks very nice when viewed from a distance :-)))

Greetings
Tomek
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
Great job! Rigging can be the hardest part. Your result is all taut and shipshape.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello,
thank you for comments.
A memorable moment has come. I had the last update divided into two parts, but somehow it turned out that there will be only the final part.
Attaching spears was not particularly difficult, also access to belaying points was acceptable (the most difficult space was around the main mast).
I managed to achieve "high wind dynamics" in the lower sails thanks to a simple trick (discovered by chance). The buntlines are gently stuck to the sails and then pulled tighter, thus swinging the bottom of the sail forward.
Of course, I managed to cut the top forestay in the meantime - luckily the shrouds and backstays weren't tight enough to break the mast.

The small gallery:

Greetings
Tomek
Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Absolutely amazing. Beautiful work, sir
Old 05-24-2021, 10:26 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Based on what you wrote: some highly skilled work was necessary at the end.
Very beautiful ship. Yes, these sails have enough wind to carry your Meermann.
The inspiration your work provides is appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike
Google Adsense