PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200

I've wanted a model of the Scharnhorst class since my early teens when I saw, and subsequently spent a great deal of time sketching, a builder's model in a London museum; I can also vividly recall the moment when I chucked out the large wooden result of my efforts at part completed hull stage because it wasn't good enough. Clearly a rather strange boy (not much has changed since) but with this excellent and recent kit I can fulfil my youthful dream!

The kit itself is well illustrated on the GPM website and is beautifully printed on A3 paper and card sheets with very clear 3d drawings showing assembly in alphabetical and numerical sequence. I have two other GPM warships in my collection and this is a huge improvement on both, in both accuracy and quality; there is reverse printing for components with visible rear faces and an excellent set of etched details is also available.

Two matters of which to be wary though; if, like me, you use 1mm card as advised for frames you will find that the parts are slightly too thick for their slots and can also increase overall dimensions detrimentally. Secondly, the printed faces do mark from excess pva and I have had to spray with clear coating to guard against this in the future.

The hull uses 1mm card for side and bottom sheeting, in addition to the more usual deck components and frames; curving this I think would be impossible and so I used 0.75mm approx. card from cereal boxes which can be curved fairly well if you slightly damp it. I'm pleased with the underwater hull and with several coats of clear spray over components copied onto 160 gsm card (applied with 3m Spraymount to the grey card base) looks about as good as I would expect to get.

Think I'm in for a long haul on this one but at least there isn't too much armament and other repetitive details which I've found a bit tedious in the past.

Best wishes

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1428.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1429.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1433.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1434.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1440.jpg  

SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1442.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1444.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1445.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1446.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1447.jpg  

SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1448.jpg   SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200-img_1449.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Chris,
You achieved a nice smooth fit with those hull pieces.
I assume the clear spay is what gives it a glossy appearance.
Mike
Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Thanks Mike, the spray is supposed to be clear matt but using it in my aeroplane models I have found it to become semi matt to slightly glossy after several coats; I think it's all in the technique which I have to admit to still not having mastered. What would be ideal is two coats remaining matt, but somehow matt and gloss patches appear and have to be evened out by further coats and then it gets both more even but also glossier. The actual spray is Rustoleum Clear Matt but it would be interesting to hear of alternatives.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.19 MB
That is a beautiful hull!

Greg
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
that hull is out standing well done sir
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2021, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
SMS Gneisenau; GPM 1/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris190 View Post
Thanks Mike, the spray is supposed to be clear matt but using it in my aeroplane models I have found it to become semi matt to slightly glossy after several coats; I think it's all in the technique which I have to admit to still not having mastered. What would be ideal is two coats remaining matt, but somehow matt and gloss patches appear and have to be evened out by further coats and then it gets both more even but also glossier. The actual spray is Rustoleum Clear Matt but it would be interesting to hear of alternatives.

I like to use Mohawk Ultra Flo Clear Lacquer M102-0451 Flat. I find it gives excellent flat coverage - but it also resists PVA glue quite strongly.

Maurice
Old 03-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks like a great start on this model of a very famous warship.

It also appears that you have the experience and skill to bring this project home in style.

Don
Old 03-04-2021, 06:10 AM

Glad this is of interest and thanks for the comments, and also Maurice for the suggestion re clear coating which I shall investigate further. Hope you're right Don, there's a long way to go to completion but who cares in these times when modelmaking is the life saving interest for so many of us!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris190 View Post
I've wanted a model of the Scharnhorst class since my early teens when I saw, and subsequently spent a great deal of time sketching, a builder's model in a London museum;
Chris
Chris model looks already awesome, nice clean build. Do I understand it right that you are talking about a Builders Model in a London Museum. If this is the case, do you have photographs of this Builders model ??
Old 03-10-2021, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMGD View Post
Chris model looks already awesome, nice clean build. Do I understand it right that you are talking about a Builders Model in a London Museum. If this is the case, do you have photographs of this Builders model ??
I'd be curious how it got there. War booty perhaps?
Google Adsense