PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-14-2021, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Yeah... Where to keep it?? I have a table where it sits right now, but it crowds out many other things. For the long term, after it's done, I don't have a plan. : )))

That's quite a collection, Wireandpaper! I particularly like the airplanes on the top shelf.

Some of the model's hangar deck is open to the outside. Someone could scratch-build a more detailed interior, if they were so inclined.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1617.jpg  
Old 05-15-2021, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGiraffe View Post
Yeah... Where to keep it?? I have a table where it sits right now, but it crowds out many other things. For the long term, after it's done, I don't have a plan. : )))

That's quite a collection, Wireandpaper! I particularly like the airplanes on the top shelf.

Some of the model's hangar deck is open to the outside. Someone could scratch-build a more detailed interior, if they were so inclined.

Best regards,
Kurt
are you planning to take on their NIMITZ next
Old 05-15-2021, 06:09 PM

The Forrestal wasn't so much "planned" as discovered for a good price on ebay, so entered into my pile of kits waiting to be built. Maybe if I get through this build, and also find the Nimitz for an irresistible price, I'll build that one also? (It doesn't have airplanes, does it???) (Just kidding!)

(Actually, I do wish someone would make a Nimitz-class carrier in 1/400 -- That's my normal scale for ships.)

Take care,
Kurt
Old 05-15-2021, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Quote:
The Forrestal wasn't so much "planned" as discovered for a good price on ebay, so entered into my pile of kits waiting to be built. Maybe if I get through this build, and also find the Nimitz for an irresistible price, I'll build that one also? (It doesn't have airplanes, does it???) (Just kidding!)

(Actually, I do wish someone would make a Nimitz-class carrier in 1/400 -- That's my normal scale for ships.)

Take care,
Kurt
It is paper!!!
You can do it in any scale (I guess within 25% reduction or 200% enlargement). But 1/250 to 1/400 is not a lot of trouble if you are wiling to sacrifice a little bit tiny detail and yes we can find the planes in Bruno's for a reduction from 1/300 to 1/400 (usually doable).
Now the Wilhemshaven in 1/400 that is another story, some of them are almost as detailed as 1/100 or 1/50.

Well, here is the Rainbow Warrior (WIP) and the plane from Möwe-Verlag and some of Bruno's from 1/300 to 1/400. The Vampire is from 1/100 to 1/400.

ps: sorry don't want to hijack your thread just propose the options.
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-pict3216.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-pict3215.jpg  
Old 05-16-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Take care,
Kurt
nimitz is running at 99 euros on wlhemshaven site plus seperate aircraft. strangly same price as forrestal, im waiting for someone to do the essex class carriers with angled decks of the 60s eras
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2021, 06:15 PM

[url=http://www.papermod.com/D-Shop-21/contents/de/p520.html
Old 05-18-2021, 10:12 AM

Hello,

While this Forrestal kit could be scanned and reduced, I don't have the equipment at home to handle these large pages. Resizing the smaller kits isn't too hard; in fact, I did a 1/1200 scale Beech Bonanza as a joke for a previous boss (He had a 1/1200 scale desk model of a C-5 Galaxy and remarked that "Nobody makes a Bonanza in this scale" -- he owned a Bonanza).

I still wish some company(s) would come out with a 1/400 scale Nimitz-class, and also agree the Essex class with angled deck would be very nice.

On the kit, I'm up to the step where it's time to add the sides of the hull. There are three parts that make up the length of the model. It will take some time to prepare them. They use the popular technique of leaving "white" where parts fit against the gray sides, and I never get things lined up well enough to cover the white completely, so I'm taking a colored pencil and coloring all those edges.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1618.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1620.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1621.jpg  
Old 05-18-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hello,

While this Forrestal kit could be scanned and reduced, I don't have the equipment at home to handle these large pages. Resizing the smaller kits isn't too hard; in fact, I did a 1/1200 scale Beech Bonanza as a joke for a previous boss (He had a 1/1200 scale desk model of a C-5 Galaxy and remarked that "Nobody makes a Bonanza in this scale" -- he owned a Bonanza).

I still wish some company(s) would come out with a 1/400 scale Nimitz-class, and also agree the Essex class with angled deck would be very nice.

On the kit, I'm up to the step where it's time to add the sides of the hull. There are three parts that make up the length of the model. It will take some time to prepare them. They use the popular technique of leaving "white" where parts fit against the gray sides, and I never get things lined up well enough to cover the white completely, so I'm taking a colored pencil and coloring all those edges.

Best regards,
Kurt
looking good
Old 05-21-2021, 08:42 AM

I appreciate it, Herky!

The aft and middle sides wnet on easier than I had expected. They are big enough to easily glue by compartments without bending the panel too much. The stern-most area is a closed box with that deck there, but most of the rest can be reached from above while you are gluing. It wasn't too hard to line up the lower edge of the hangar deck openings, though did have to use some care.

I think the bow panels are going to be ogres, though. I'll find out soon.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1624.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1628.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1629.jpg  
Old 05-21-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I appreciate it, Herky!

The aft and middle sides wnet on easier than I had expected. They are big enough to easily glue by compartments without bending the panel too much. The stern-most area is a closed box with that deck there, but most of the rest can be reached from above while you are gluing. It wasn't too hard to line up the lower edge of the hangar deck openings, though did have to use some care.

I think the bow panels are going to be ogres, though. I'll find out soon.

Take care,
Kurt
mine was ''old school '' whm. sod all instructions and couple that were are in german. nimitz is a whole different ball game
Google Adsense