PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
USS BROOKLYN (ACR-3) - 1:200 model

Hello again to all paper modelers, in particular to ship's lovers..

As I wrote in my last thread about the model of Admiral Nakhimov cruiser, in this last month I worked also on a model in 1:200 scale of russian battleship Borodino and, since few weeks, I have also started a new yard : the american armored cruiser USS Brooklyn (ACR-3) launched on October, 2nd 1895 and decommissioned on March, 9th 1921.

As many of the models that I made in the past, also this ship has a very "strange" appearance... is not an elegant ship, but has "something" that has always attired me... probably the three tall funnels, or the tumblehome hull or all the many sponsons broadside hosting the secondary guns, or the strange look of the bow ...

Anyway... I have decided to start this model... bought the booklet and started to build the hull (as you can see from pics). All the sponsons ill be opened and all the secondary guns will be visible (as for all my last models). I like very much the effect of open parts that can permit to take a look inside the gun's places.

The pics are at the actual stage of building.. once terminated the lower hull, I'll try to use a filler to close the gaps between the hull sections, and fter I'll spray a primer + a dark red color, before to start the building of the secondary guns for close the tumblehome walls.

I'll try to be more "frequent" here to share how the build is going on.. But I already know that will be a long and not so simple model at all !!

Have a nice time and happy paper-modeling !!

ciao
Jp

Old 04-19-2021, 01:31 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This will be a pleasure to watch JP.
Of course, the photos show us an excellent beginning.
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I never get tired of seeing models built of ships from this era, especially ships of the American Steel Navy. Very clean and precise work so far.

Don
Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
You can see the French influence in the Brooklyn design, with that tumble-home and lozenge pattern turret layout - but those tall funnels are typically American. They'd sure keep the smoke out of everyone's eyes.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:58 AM

Hello to all paper modelers..

there was not so much spare time in the last weeks, to continue to work on the model of USS Brooklyn cruiser ... I hope to find some free time on the next weekend.

One of the things I would like to make better, on this model, is to obtain a more "smooth" hull in the lower part.
I was thinking to fill all the gaps between each section of the hull paper foils using a bit of white glue (vinylic one)... or use something other material as a filler.

Do you have any suggest about which type of filler could I use ?

Once filled as best as I can, I'll glue on the hull the lateral parts and the propellers supports, before to spray all with some layers of Tamiya grey primer (very thin) as base of a red acrylic spray as final.

Thanks in advance for any suggest and have an happy paper modeling !!

ciao
Jp
Old 04-26-2021, 06:47 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello JP,
The lower hull looks very nice.
I do not use fillers, so I cannot provide advice for those. However, I do paint lower hulls.
I avoid acrylic paint because many acrylic paints contain water (perhaps they all do).
I always use oil based paint. It does not disturb the structure of the paper the way water based paint does.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 04-26-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Revise spelling
Old 04-26-2021, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That hull looks so good that I do not think it needs filling or painting.

Don
Old 04-26-2021, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Try original Tacky glue.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hello Try this procedure by gluing the liner loosely. Do not press with your fingers, only with the tips so as not to mark the ribs. Another procedure is to fill with high-density extruded polyurethane and polish well with sandpaper. Use 180gr/m2 cardboard
Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
USS BROOKLYN (ACR-3) - 1:200 model-forrado-tel.jpg  
Old 05-22-2021, 11:36 AM

Hello to all paper-modelers

The model of the USS Brooklyn is going slow... very slow...more slower that I planned...

In last weeks I had just a few time to try to seal with white glue the gaps between the paper foils covering the hull, and after a first seal, I applied some thin layers of Tamiya spray grey primer....

Once dry, I tried to make it smooth by very thin scrap paper, and before to apply some new few layers of the same primer, I again sealed the last gaps..

The hull will be not completely "smooth" on surface, there will be still visible some line of junction between foils, but I like so...

I need just to close some last gaps and put other thin layer of primer and the hull will be ready to be painted with Tamiya "red dull" spray (the most close to the typical hull color for many warships).

Once painted, I'll start to build the secondary guns, to put inside the hull, before to glue the white hull sides.

I'll keep you updated when I'll do it

Have a nice time and happy paper-modeling !!
ciao

Jp