PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-17-2023, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 346.95 MB
ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250

Hello fellow paper plonkers, while I have been toiling away at another project that I just couldn't bring myself to post anything about due to issues I kept running into (skill level vs. kit design), I decided to post-pone my work on that one and start something afresh to get the juices flowing again. And hopefully have a quick(er) build with better results.

I present you, the ORP Torun Polish river monitor of 1939, designed by paper-model.pl

To date, I have printed the pages, lacquered them, and proceeded to laminate the required parts to 1mm card I purchased from GPM (the thickness of some "1mm card" I bought from a US vendor possibly adding to the woes of my back burned project). Proper cutting will begin this weekend and hopefully I'll have some progress to show everyone. Also....this thing is rather small! A challenge!
Attached Thumbnails
ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-orp-torun-paper-model-pl.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2023, 07:45 PM

Getting a start

I guess I should have included a bit of information about the ship, here are some links from Wikipedia; information on these monitors is scarce, this is what I could find relatively easy.

Riverine Flotilla of the Polish Navy - Wikipedia
ORP Warszawa (1920) - Wikipedia

Work started with the upper and lower hull bits and all the formers, on 1mm cardboard. The kit is designed to give you the option of opening some or all of the deck hatches, and give you at least a dark recessed space inside. I chose not to do this in order to keep my build simple. An upside to all of these formers and the thickness of card called for is that the hull is very, very strong!

ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230819_175215.jpg ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230819_184509.jpg

Then the usual progression to sticking on the deck, hull skins, and transom. One interesting part of the authors design is that he made six options for the deck, allowing the builder to choose the tone he thinks is best.

ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230820_150058.jpg

Here is where things took a turn. As designed, the sides of the sponsons (used to reduce the monitors draft) skins are presented to be printed on office paper and each color section cut out and overlapping the previous one. This will obviously, even with office paper, leave....well, an overlap. An unsightly overlap. So I resigned myself to cutting each strip to fit the ones adjacent to it. The result looks okay to me, not perfect, but after touching up with acrylic paints it's acceptable. Why there wasn't just one continuous strip for each side provided, I do not understand.

ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230820_175411.jpg ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230820_175607.jpg ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230820_200417.jpg

And a second niggle I have with the design is the bottom most part (#2b) does not exactly fit the contour of the the rest of the hull and leaves a gap under it and the sponsons, as the the side strips are the exact width of just the sponson 1mm cardboard with it's top skin on. If I were to re-build this kit, I would omit that part altogether.

ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230820_201502.jpg

That's it for this weekend folks, I'll try to have another installment ready in a few days.

~Erik

....did I mention how small this thing is?
Old 08-29-2023, 03:31 AM

Not much to report, I am afraid. Various household issues between both my own home and my girlfriends house took a good chunk of my time away over the past week. Not to mention the incredible heat sapping my will to do anything other than go completely lazy once I get home from working.

All I've managed since the previous post was to finish wrapping the sides of the sponsons, and starting on the gussets that attach same to the hull.

ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230828_185229.jpg
ORP Torun, Polish river monitor in 1:250-20230828_185324.jpg

I took a tip from the late, great Dan Vadas and reused old worn out blades altered with a rotary tool to make cutters specific to the inside areas of the gussets. This worked very well for me; don't throw out your old blades gentlemen, they still have a noble purpose to fulfill!

Hurricane Idalia appears to be intent on sailing very close to right over my house here in Central Florida and we are making preparations. Either I will experience nothing other than some extra rain and wind, or I will get hit square on. In the case of the former, it will just be a normal but wet work week; the latter, I might have some extra modelling time the next few days though it will be only during daylight hours or candle light.

Erik