PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-31-2021, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
If you want them at 1:1200/1250 the KGVs are available from Revell now, D77. And on eBay, you can always find 2-packs of Airfix 1:1200 Tribals.

Of course on my sheet of Bismarck Tribals, I have them all pennant-numbered plus the Polish J/K/N class Piorun.

So you might want to move up H and K in your schedule. Repulse and Prince of Wales would have met them or 2 of their sisterships off northern Malaya, if Japanese airpower hadn't gotten them first.

Thanks for your interest! VERY motivating.

I should do the Japanese naval ensign ... and watch Victory at Sea on YouTube while I work.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you very much Lou:

I particularly liked the Shiratsuyu class. One of these days I intend to build it in 1/400 into a A3 or Ledger size. But I am not sure when exactlly.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:44 AM

I just posted 8 Shiratsuyus on a sheet - 1:1200/1250 scale, shaded/painted - last night, wire&paper.

They're with my other (currently) free plans at Free Cardstock Paper Model World War 2/II Warships

They'll be grainy at 1:400, and any inconsistencies will be magnified at that scale, but as simple as the plan is at 1:1200, it probably won't require much time to test-build.

Last edited by LouCoatney; 06-01-2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:34 AM

1:1200 Shiratsuyus redone - simplified.

... and posted on CoatneyHistory under the Free Models thread.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:42 PM

The Shiratsuyu is printed in Ledger/Tabloid

Dear Lou:

Thank you very much. I already printed the Shiratsuyu and started gathering info, from older and newer sources.

The reference destroyer is colorized and similarly enlarged version from 1/1000 to 1/400 of one of the simple Papercraft Etsutan models.

ps: I print a lot faster than I can build :(
Attached Thumbnails
My 1942 IJNS Hiei design - working up.-pict3257.jpg   My 1942 IJNS Hiei design - working up.-pict3258.jpg   My 1942 IJNS Hiei design - working up.-pict3259.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2021, 05:51 AM

That ONI plan ...

... is the one I worked off of, designing my model, w&p.

I have ALL the *original* ONI manuals, including the best for Japanese merchant ships as well as the super-rare one for the French ... compilation discontinued after 27Nov42 (when the French fleet was scuttled at Toulon), although it does have Strasbourg, Dunkerque, and Algerie. (The le Fantasques are in Korean War era ONI 200, but the Mogadors never appeared, because they were both destroyed at Toulon.)

And I have posted many of the plans on CoatneyHistory.

These photos of my large-scale - 1:300? - Shiratsuyu prototype are on my webpage and have appeared elsewhere in PaperModelers com, I believe, but ....

I was wondering of my color of the linoleum was too reddish, but Etsutan's seems to confirm it.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1942 IJNS Hiei design - working up.-shrtsyuprotoview1.jpg   My 1942 IJNS Hiei design - working up.-shrtsyuprotoview2.jpg  

Last edited by LouCoatney; 06-03-2021 at 05:58 AM. Reason: PM's spacing problem.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Thank you for the pictures but don't trust that much the model by Etsutan, I recolored it using the palette available in MS Paint.
I would say that I trust a lot more this fellow modeler, Masahiro Kushima, for the colors used in the IJN fleet:

ペーパークラフトの『紙模型工房』 - 無料ペーパークラフト・インデックスページ
Old 06-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Thank you for the pictures but don't trust that much the model by Etsutan, I recolored it using the palette available in MS Paint.
I would say that I trust a lot more this fellow modeler, Masahiro Kushima, for the colors used in the IJN fleet:

ペーパークラフトの『紙模型工房』 - 無料ペーパークラフト・インデックスページ
Circumstantial evidence that I've seen makes me think Kushima *is* Etsutan. Look at Kushima's Twitter account. Don't know why the colors would be more accurate on one site than the other.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:21 PM

Off topic not to hijack your thread

Oh well, I learned something new!
This is the beauty of paper modeling; you can choose the level of detail of your designs. Like first drafts or very detail, at the scale and size that you want. And colors, not a problem recolor and if you don't succeed at first, print another. But don't tell Lou because you are allowed one copy for yourself!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
In a previous life I've been repainting a lot of digital aircraft for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1, 2 & 3 (mostly Luftwaffe aircraft, but also RAF & USAAF). I noticed there was (and is) a lot of difference between colour values between various paint manufacturers (Revell, Tamiya etc etc). As an example, the Luftwaffe colour RLM 70 (Darkgreen) is different for every manufacturer. Few steps I took:

- To make things a little easer and workable I decided to use one single "palet" of colours. This means I used all colors from one manufacturer for all projects. So for the subject of this thread, I you choose the values for dark grey for the hull from manufacturer A, you should choose the red from the same manufacturer for the decks etc.

- Colors can be "translated" to your paint program by either measuring them yourself (download a sample pic of the color and measure the colors (rgb values or hex code) in your paint program or finding the rgb or hex values online. There are various websites that "convert" colors for digital use...

example: these are some Tamiya colors showing some difference in colors applied by shipyard/naval base

TS-66 IJN Gray (Kure Arsenal)

XF-75 IJN Gray (Kure Arsenal)

TS-67 IJN Gray (Sasebo Arsenal)

TS-33 Dull Red

TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan

TS-69 Linoleum Deck Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Circumstantial evidence that I've seen makes me think Kushima *is* Etsutan. Look at Kushima's Twitter account. Don't know why the colors would be more accurate on one site than the other.
Best way to find out is to ask them both , Mr Kushima does follow Paper Etsutan on Twitter, so I think the simularities are based on retweeting each other's posts??????
Google Adsense

Tags
battlecruiser, battleship, guadalcanal, ijn, world war ii (ww ii)