PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-01-2021, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
On the underwater hull. Yes, it definitely would have been an off-white color, even when it was new. The bright white has to go! I could probably even give the bottom a full-on paint job rather than just a wash of off-white color. I did that with my HMS Alert model, but I think I used WHITE white on that.

I agree with a final look of grayish/yellowish bottom.

Hi Bob, I'm glad to hear you're going to build this kit. Have you ordered from GPM.pl? I've order from them in the past, but I think they're payment system is different than it used to be, just 8 months ago, because I could make a transaction go through.

Let me know how it goes. Actually, I have a charge that does show up on my credit card, but I can't tell if it was successful. So, I think I'm going to have to wait a couple weeks to see if the charge is just an authorization that will drop off my account or if it really did go through.

Anyone else have tip on the payement process for GPM?

Bob, I hope you'll be posting your progress too!

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 07-02-2021, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Nice work on the fluit, Clare.
As for the treatment of the underwater body of ships in the 17th century: in Holland a mixture was used of animal fat (tallow), resin and sulfer. It resulted in a grey-ish white yellow color. I usually get a satisfying result using Humbrol 28. Here my latest humble effort. It might look white, but when you apply the paint, the first thing you think is: oh no, this cannot be true. Trust me, it blends in very well with the rest of the colors. For the hull above water I usually use Humbrol 64 with a wash of Van Dijks brown (after thorough drying). If you use that too it might help you to get rid of the ugly rows of nails on this kit. If I count well, according to the nails there must have been 30 frames in this ship. Believe me, it should be about 70!
Good luck.

Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_1011-kopie.jpg
Old 07-03-2021, 01:23 AM

Thank you, Ab, for the supportive comments.

I love the model in the photo you posted. Also I've been admiring the one on the cover the Nautical Research Journal from 2016 for quite some time.

I'm going to take your advice on the underwater body color.

On the rows of nails, I know they're not accurate, and I wondered why Shipyard would make the kit this way. I kind of like the way they look, as they are a change from most models I build, which are usually wood. But, I will be applying some kind of paint to the upper hull, so the nails will be subdued to some degree. And, they might even get completely covered up in the process.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:54 AM

I've run into a slight issue on the piece of hull planking that includes the garboard strake. There's no registration marks to help make sure these planking strips are lined up properly.

I just finished the sternpost and now making the stem/beakhead as well. I think for this last planking strips, I'm going to have to ignore the pattern of planks printed on them, and just cut and shape them to fit the final gaps. Painting the bottom coating will hide any planking errors pretty well I think, but I'm a little concerned about the joint between the hull and the sternpost. You can see there's a bit of a gap.

I suppose I will have to use a little filler of some kind. Hopefully, this won't be an issue.

Also, as you can see in one of the photos, I have some trouble near the bow with the hull starting to deform. This may be mostly invisible as it is on the underside, and I have haven't done any cleanup of the hull planking yet. So, we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2688.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2678.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2690.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2693.jpg   Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-img_2695.jpg  

Old 07-03-2021, 08:17 AM

As for the stern: I see a double line, which in fact represents the rabbet. You can cut that away to get a better fit.
As for the last three (or four) planks next to the garboard strake: they end up alongside the sternpost in an area that was called the ‘streek’ (pronouce ‘strake’). The post was thinner there, up to half the thickness of the planking.
Perhaps this helps.
Good luck,
Ab

Last edited by abhovi; 07-03-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2021, 08:18 AM

Something else, but of course I am too late: Next time only glue the planks on the ribs themselves. Do not apply any glue to the area in between. It takes care of the visible location of the ribs.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Ab, thank you for all the advice. The streek confused me at first, but I looked at other dutch ship photos and saw the same feature.

I've cut down the rabbet slightly where needed. But, being a kit, I have to be careful that it doesn't change the alignment of parts. In fact, trimming a little helped me get things in better alignment.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Clare,

Yes, I've ordered both kits. I had trouble with the order from the polish company. Put the order through the first time and the browser hung up. Tried a second time with a different browser and the payment went through okay, but yesterday I got two emails from them with two different order numbers. I emailed them back and told them I only wanted the second order and to cancel the first. I haven't heard back from them since so I hope my english to polish translation was understood.

I checked out that new paper model website you pointed out over on your blog at Ages of Sail. Looks like some pretty nice kits. I've only built one paper kit and even that one isn't finished yet -- HMS Alert. Still, it looks great so far. Just got side tracked by other models and projects. I've been building wooden model ships for over 33 years and have a small business called Lauck Street Shipyard that has been in business for over 18 years now. I know a thing or two about model shipbuilding, just not much experience in paper models. Not yet that is.

Yes, I absolutely will post a build log of my work on this kit once I get started on it. Right now I'm finishing up assembling a mini-lego kit that has 11,810 pieces in it -- the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany.

Take care,

Bob
Old 07-06-2021, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhovi View Post
Nice work on the fluit, Clare.
As for the treatment of the underwater body of ships in the 17th century: in Holland a mixture was used of animal fat (tallow), resin and sulfer. It resulted in a grey-ish white yellow color. I usually get a satisfying result using Humbrol 28. Here my latest humble effort. It might look white, but when you apply the paint, the first thing you think is: oh no, this cannot be true. Trust me, it blends in very well with the rest of the colors. For the hull above water I usually use Humbrol 64 with a wash of Van Dijks brown (after thorough drying). If you use that too it might help you to get rid of the ugly rows of nails on this kit. If I count well, according to the nails there must have been 30 frames in this ship. Believe me, it should be about 70!
Good luck.

Attachment 450081
Great looking model. I'd never have known it was made of paper if I didn't see it in this forum. Thanks for the paint tip too.

Bob
Old 07-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Hi Bob,

Yes, I had some trouble placing an order with GPM too. The payment options were really confusing to me, yet I've ordered from them several times in the past. I think there's a new payment service or their existing one changed their interface and made it more confusing.

Then, I saw a post by Seahorse somewhere, explaining how to make a payment on his website. Turned out it was the same payment service. After that, I reordered and I could tell it worked. Guess I'll know for sure if the stuff I ordered actually arrives.

Actually, Bob, I've been a wooden ship modeler myself for over 25 years, so I'm familiar with you and Lauckstreet. It's likely we've communicated at some point in all those years.

By the way, the mini-lego kit sounds like a great kit to build - no tools needed, no sawdust, no paper clippings!

Google Adsense