PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry

Greetings all,
Pics 1 + 2: Whilst fiddling with the rigging on my 'OLDENBURG' by Schrieber, decided to start my next little project.
Pic 3: Started building the bottom 'plates', keel with Kittifix PVA. As always with this type of PVA, it causes 'dimples' to emerge in the finished product since it contains water.
Had similar experience with 'SHIRASE' (Japanese Icebreaker printed on 80 gsm paper), 'OLDENBURG', 'U9' and 'MARY ARCTICA'.
Pic 4: So - decided to try the 35g tubes of UHU sitting neglected in the drawer but recommended by many on here. Started with the 'side boxes' for the keel. That would be for the car deck - another large-ish piece where dimples would be noticeable and unwanted...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2622.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2623.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2532.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2537.jpg  

Last edited by Positive_Rate; 04-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2020, 05:59 PM

Pic 5: You can see the dimples that form from using the PVA. I think it's 'standard PVA' as distinct to the 'Tacky PVA' from brands such as Arleenes and Anitas.
Pic 6: Car Deck attached with UHU - no dimples! Hooray!
Pic 7: Next began assembly of the superstructure, parts 14, 15L + 15R.
Wasn't 100% sure which lines were to be scored so when in doubt I left alone. Indeed, the tail ends of 15 were to be scored which I could still easily do.
Pic 8: Same parts - right way up
Pic 9: Strengthening beams fitted to the superstructure inner shell. Each beam is formed of a double fold and they are very strong.
First doubt in my head! The feet of the beams don't drop all the way to meet the tabs from the inner shell. All scored very carefully. Cut very carefully... OK! Have faith, onwards and upwards!

Last edited by Positive_Rate; 04-11-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:36 PM

Pic 10: Fittings inside the superstructure - you're looking at the cardeck interior. Little did I know left one wasn't quite horizontal!
Pic 11: The superstructure outer shell is single layer card, unsupported, so its fairly flexible. This shows the inner fitted in the outer, and moved right the way forward. Sometimes I do find the written instructions in the kit do need some re-reading, looking again at the parts or the sequence and digest them before you're sure you've understood their intention. Good job I'm not the one having to translate instructions otherwise the world would end in short order!
I was also a wee bit concerned that the tabs you see overhung the side of the superstructure - was thinking they should be inside. Carry on!
Pic 12: This was after I 'fixed' the fitting on the left as you look in the photo. I assembled it only looking 'down' into the shell (see pic 10) - therefore couldn't see the horizontal surface wasn't actually horizontal. UHU had dried! Took my scalpel and sliced the two apart again, very gingerly. Was lucky, got the two apart without too much drama and corrected!
Pic 13: You can see how flexible the outer shell is - also I was slightly clumsy with the fittings as you can see from the differing angles.
Pic 14: Placing the structure on the deck - see how it fits. Inner and outer not glued together. Had a certain sense of doubt once more!
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2543.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2544.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2545.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2546.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2547.jpg  

Last edited by Positive_Rate; 04-11-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you for sharing, look forward to the build stages
Old 04-12-2020, 04:19 AM

Re: Post #2 above:

Sorry - bit of finger trouble (Haha, get it?!) there with the pics.
Here they are so you can see what I mean...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2533.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2538.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2540.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2541.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2542.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 AM

Pic 15: Superstructure positioned on the deck. When I aligned it at both sides at the front, it very slightly overhung the stbd side and a bit further forward.
Pic 16: You can see the difference when I straightened it and realigned it.
Pic 17: Made the side ramp - dressed the sides with felt tip. Don't know if this is the right type to use - looks better than leaving it white, in my opinion.
Pic 18: Also took the opportunity to do the same with the hull sides. Ive noticed with UHU it won't really take colouring once dried. Better to do this now because there's bound to be some glue run from that seam.
Pic 19: Here's the inner superstructure going into the outer.
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2548.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2549.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2550.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2551.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2552.jpg  

Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 AM

Pic 20: Went okay pushing the inner superstructure forward - and it lies flush with the front of the outer.
Pic 21: The halves are now joined - but not yet to the cardeck. Here it is with the front in position as it should be. All going well.
Pic 22: As you can see - when its flush at the front, it naturally tends to overhang the stbd side.
Pic 23: You can see the same effect this time loking from astern of the superstucture.
Pic 24: Again you can see the overhang I talked about earlier. But I think theres enough flex in the whole superstructure that I can slide it into place whilst the UHU dries.
Before using the UHU I separated and joined the superstructure halves many many times, examining all sides to see how it would go.
I found that indeed, I needed to hold the inner down pushing on the supporting beams, and push the for'd end of the inner just a bit further to make sure it's concealed neatly behind the front of the outer superstructure.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:50 AM

Re post 7 above, heres the pics.
The edit window times out after an hour - you can't edit it after that time, even if it hasn't been closed on your screen!
Ugh!
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2553.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2554.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2555.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2556.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2557.jpg  

Old 04-12-2020, 09:16 AM

Pic 25: Funnels - Dressed the white edges and a little bit on the tabs as well.
Pic 26: Shaped the sides by rolling them between a tube and foam rubber.
Also - below it you can see a shape which will fit on the inside (unprinted face) of the ships side at the stern - dressed it in black so it theres any gap remaining after gluing it will be hard to see as opposed to leaving it white.
Pic 27: Same effect at the bow. I believe rolling the paper gives a very nice smooth curve. I was able to flatten it and redo this several times to get the right angle of twist into it and enough twist at the right point that it lies happily on the hull side with minimal nudging.
You can just see the front of the superstructure peeping out from beneath the side. It should be covered by the side but at this point its not glued of course.
Pic 28: Same situation at the stern. Maybe a little too much twist at the end which is why its not lying on the sides???
Pic 29: Same at the bow - view looking down into it this time, I'm getting nervous now - you can tell by the amount of jigging and rejigging and multitudinous pictures I'm taking!!!
Pic 30: Ooops - bit too much gusto with dressing this part with the balck on the outside. No big drama.
Pic 31: The 'insides' of the bow and stern were shaped as well, before gluing to their spots.
Feeling reasonably ok at this point.
Pic 32: Same from above - ready to go I think. Deep breath!!
Pic 33: Dressed the stern as ell before gluing.
Pic 34: You can see the cardeck is perfectly flat - glued using UHU. You can see the bottom isn't - used Kittifix PVA.
Pic 35: Fixed in place at the stern using UHU. Getting happy using the UHU now, despite the 'strings' that come off with it!
As you can see, it fitted exactly at the top, but it was short at the bottom. I'm perplexed, though I did see this was going to happen before I glued it in position. So I'm glad I had the forethought to dress it first. Looks ok?? Ish????!!
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2560.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2563.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2564.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2565.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2566.jpg  

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2567.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2568.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2569.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2570.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2571.jpg  

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2572.jpg  
Old 04-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Pic 36: Glued in place at the bow - seems okay.
Sense I am coming up to the moment of truth though. Nagging doubts in my mind!
Pic 37: Also of the bow- you're looking under the ship from the stbd side - the port 'side part' is resting right on the tip of the keel - I think this is where I should be.
Pic 38: Port side part glued in place at the bow. First error - a 'string' of UHU landed on the inside and the outside of the part! Smudge!
Another mistake is the positioining os part 21 - as you can see, the length and shape of it suggests it sits there - but - the top will be visible - you can see where the fo'cs'le deck will come around from the left. What to do???
Pic 39: Stern ramp looks ok - v slightly overhanging as you can see, but I can trim that.
Pic 40: Stern ramp from the inside - looks good.
Pic 41: Problems. Looks fine from this angle when I dry fit the stbd side
Pic 42: Uhoh!! Looks like a MacDonalds 'm'! And this the most visible part of the model!!
Pic 43: Checking the alignment of the side part with the superstructure - looks good.
Pic 44: Checking the alignment aft, from the inside.
Pic 45: Checking the alignment aft, from the outside - manageable.
Pic 46: Side part lands spot on to the aft frame.
Pic 47: Checking the stbd side looks ok.
Pic 48: My plan is to glue the centre first - leaving the tabs at the bow and stern till later.
Pic 49: Drew a 'no glue' line as you can see - this will allow me access to work on the tabs at the bow later.
Pic 50: Glue the stbd side.
Pic 51: Next parts cut and ready. Need to do something else the side issue is irritating me!
Pic 52: Cut out the rescue boat from a 4-fold piece.
Pic 53: Dressed it.
Pic 54: 1 Rescue boat - ready to launch!
Pic 55: Attached the front of the superstructure. Originally followed the instructions, aligning by comparing the top of the fron to the top of the sides. Then to my horror, saw the front windows were noticably too low. Had just enough slide left in the UHU to be able to drag it back up - I can trim the top easily later.
Still wound up about the meeting of the sides at the front - what has gone wrong - what can be done about it????
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2573.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2574.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2583.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2584.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2585.jpg  

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2586.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2587.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2588.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2589.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2590.jpg  

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2591.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2592.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2595.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2596.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2597.jpg  

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2598.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2599.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2600.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2601.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2602.jpg  

Google Adsense