PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-17-2021, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
More vintage (small scale) ship model plans

As a follow up for this thread, I'd like to post some more vintage ship model plans

Published by the US Office of Naval Intelligence during WW2, here's a link to a publication called Master File Drawings of German Naval Vessels
It's on the website called Naval History and Heritage Command

Browse the page to view recognition drawing of German Naval Vessels, at the bottom of the page you'll notice seveal model plans for German cruisers and destroyers.

On top of the page you can download the publication in pdf format (click on PDF Version). This pdf contains hi-res scans.

samples:
KMS Admiral Scheer

KMS Nurnberg

Last edited by Foute Man; 11-17-2021 at 05:32 AM. Reason: missing link
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2021, 05:19 AM

IJN Nagato

On the same website as the first post, there's also this plan for IJN Nagato 1943

click here for a hi-res scan (29 Mb), and click here to go to the page
Old 11-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks for those Foute Man. Interesting stuff!
Old 11-18-2021, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You find some very valuable and interesting material!

I have been mining the NHHC site for years and never found those plans.

Many thanks for sharing the results of your research. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts and expertise.

Don
Old 11-18-2021, 12:06 PM

Plans from magazine Modellbau Heute on the Webarchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
You find some very valuable and interesting material!
I have been mining the NHHC site for years and never found those plans.
Many thanks for sharing the results of your research. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts and expertise.
Don
Thanks Don, I'll have to admit that I do like to roam the internet for information and files, and it's great fun to share those finds on this forum, so the pleasure is all mine.....

Another great source are the drawings from the modelling magazine Modellbau Heute. This magazine was published on monthly base by the Ministry of Defence of the former German Democratic Republic (DDR) between 1970 and 1993. The focus was on general modelling, with every issue containing modelsheets of either aircraft, ships, rockets, trains and cars.
Of interest is a series of model drawings called "Mini Schiffe", with modelplans for ships (a lot of German and/or Warschau Pact countries naval and merchant vessels, but no vessels related to the Third Reich) and port infrastructure (port of Rostock) in small scale (most drawings are in 1/500 or 1/1000 scale) It was because of the many ship model drawings that the magazine recieved the nickname "Schiffmodellbau Heute"......

You can view, read and download those issues on the Webarchive Downloads are available in pdf format (click on PDF). You can also download the issues in jpg or jp2 format (click on SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED JP2 ZIP). Jp2 files are a type of jpg files, so it's not that hard to convert them to true jpg files
The text is in German, but translation is very easy. Click on "FULL TEXT", and translate the German text into your language, select all, copy all and paste the text in an open text file and save.

How to find the "Mini Schiffe"? In every december issue there's a list of published model sheets at the end of the issue, so you'll know in what month a certain sheet was published

As a sample I'll post the sheet for SMS Prinzregent Luitpold (a Kaiser class battleship), published in november 1987

Happy hunting

PS: Copies of Modellbau Heute can still be bought on Ebay or in the online bookstores......
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2021, 07:33 AM

Plans found on another model forum: Solid Model Memories

Next source is the gallery of the Solid Model Memories forum, a forum dedicated to making wooden models.
In this gallery you'll find vintage commercial plans of aircraft and ships. There's this disclaimer on the page:

Quote:
Plans
Plans for historical review, from old solid model kits and publications.

These plans are placed here in review of their accuracy and historical content. They are for personal use only and not to be reproduced commercially. Copyrights remain with the original copyright holders and are not the property of Solid Model Memories.

Please post comment regarding the accuracy of the drawings in the section provided on the individual page of the plan you are reviewing. If you build this model or if you have images of the original subject itself, please let us know. If you are the copyright holder of the work in question and wish to have it removed please contact SMM.

Any plans posted here are considered donations to the site and cannot be removed if you no longer wish to be a member. If you do not wish to permanently donate your plans to the site please place them in your own album and place a notation to that effect in the description
Well as this thread is about vintage ship plans, so this part of the gallery is of special interest

You'll find plans published (from the 1930's and newer) by companies and magazines like Modelcraft and Modelmaker Magazine

As a sample I'll post this Modelcraft plan of RMS Mauretania (2) in 1/1200

Visit the forum for a larger image

In the first post of this thread I mentioned plans published by the US Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI). ONI has released plans for aircraft as well. The main purpose was to encourage the youth and hobbybuilders to make as much models as possible, and to hand them over to the military. The models were to be used during pilot training, to teach them how to identify friend or foe

click here to go to these ONI aircraft plans

sample

Unfortunately the Solid Model Memories forum is closed for new members
Old 11-20-2021, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks for that link Foute Man. Fascinating insight into what other modelers do.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:41 AM

Modelarz Magazine on the webarchive

In the library section of the Webarchive, several issues of Polish magazine Modelarz are available as well. Unfortunately this collection is far from complete.
Modelarz is/was a general modelling magazine, and every issue contains drawings for ships, aircraft, rockets and vehicles
The issues are available for individual download in pdf format, and can also be downloaded in jpg/jp2 format. It's easy to convert jp2 files to jpg. For a translation of the text, see my explanation in my post about Modellbau Heute.

Tags
ship plans, small scale, vintage