PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-03-2022, 03:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
This is it! Is the model still available via ABC Magazine archive perhaps?
Very few, and I mean very few downloads exist on the ABC site.
Best bet is to check on some of the Czech paper model vendor sites, and see if they have copies of the Verne Special edition.

Hopefully some of our active members from Czech Republic will see this, and chime in
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-03-2022, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
This website has a link to a Russian language page that looks to have the HMS Sword download files. The Russian page looks familiar. I'm pretty sure this is where I obtained the files. Does anyone read Cyrillic?

PAPERMAU: Mystery Island Submarine Paper Model - by JT Digest Russian Museum
Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Larry R. Below find some screen grabs of the Sword submarine as it is presented in the Czechoslovakian film that goes under the English title, The Fabulous World of Jules Verne. Directed by Karel Zeman and released in 1958, the complete film is available for viewing on YouTube, here: THE FABULOUS WORLD OF JULES VERNE 1958 - YouTube
There are other versions of the film available on YouTube as well, but this is the one I prefer.

This remarkable film has a unique look and feel that will appeal to paper modelers in general and vintage paper modelers in particular. I believe that both Larry R.’s handsome model and the Tektonten model were based on the example seen in the film.

I have copies of both the ABC and Textonten models but I haven’t built either, yet. So I have something else to look forward to.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Sub "Sword"-sword-sub-1.jpg   Victorian Sub "Sword"-sword-sub-2.jpg   Victorian Sub "Sword"-sword-sub-3.jpg  
Old 01-03-2022, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
Title of novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
The Tektonten Papercraft model seems to be a variation of the HMS Sword rendition. Both models have similar fins and tail fin. I rather like the one vessel's spotlight on the bow. I wonder how Jules Verne described this sub?

Anyone know the title of the novel?

"Under The Flag"
Old 01-03-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post
Hi All,

And hi, Larry R. Below find some screen grabs of the Sword submarine as it is presented in the Czechoslovakian film that goes under the English title, The Fabulous World of Jules Verne. Directed by Karel Zeman and released in 1958, the complete film is available for viewing on YouTube, here: THE FABULOUS WORLD OF JULES VERNE 1958 - YouTube
There are other versions of the film available on YouTube as well, but this is the one I prefer.

This remarkable film has a unique look and feel that will appeal to paper modelers in general and vintage paper modelers in particular. I believe that both Larry R.’s handsome model and the Tektonten model were based on the example seen in the film.

Thumb Dog
Thanks, Thumb Dog! I'm going to check out that YouTube vid!

Also, thanks cblf49 for tbe book title!
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2022, 09:20 PM

Just finished watching The Fabulous World of Jukes Verne on YouTube. What a great work of art! It is in Czech with English subtitles. Yes, the HMS Sword was featured. Good underwater scenes.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:19 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Larry R. I’m glad you liked the film. Over the years, I had seen snippets of it on television, but I couldn't find out any more information about it. Fellow Papermodelers member Tom Greensfelder was familiar with the film and he passed along the title and the name of the director to me. That's how I found it on YouTube.

The first time I saw it, I watched it twice. The first was just to watch the art and action on the screen. During the second viewing I finally read the subtitles. The art direction in the film brings to mind some of the paper models published by Imagerie d'Epinal such as the Canon Balles (Mitrailleuse) seen below.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Sub "Sword"-canon-balles-1.jpg  
Old 01-04-2022, 07:04 AM

Hello, Thumb Dog......the film is truly a work of art. I am amazed at stage settings which have the appearance of 1890s newspaper illustration technique. Very clever, very artistic, and so fitting to the story. Watching the film was a real treat.

I like the cannon model which has this same Victorian illustration style. I'm going to look up the French website and see what's there.

P.S. Thumb Dog...did you post a build thread of the vintage sub model as seen on tne Papermau blogspot?

Last edited by Larry R.; 01-04-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.92 MB
Hi guys, If you are interested in a legal free copy (I'm afraid none of your links are to a legal copy of the model ) of the Sword submarine model based on the film by Karel Zeman (this model is closer to the original from the movie ), which you gave here from youtube, here is a link to the Czech paper forum, where at the end of the first post there is a link to download the model designed by Pavel Styl. You need to click on the blue word "zde".

Papirove modelařstvi CZ • Zobrazit tema - Ponorka SWORD - vlastni tvorba
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Sub "Sword"-2022-01-04_151522.jpg  

Last edited by toudi sk; 01-04-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:24 AM

Hi All,

And hi, Larry R. In answer to your question, I didn’t write a build thread for the d’Epinal Bateau Sous-Marin. But I did write a few words about its construction when I presented the model here on the Papermodelers forum. Here is the thread: https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vintage-models/35229-vintage-submarine-redux.html?highlight=Vintage+submarine+Redux

The French submarine was my first posting after joining the forum in January, 2016. Happily, one of the photographs in the thread was chosen for Picture of the Month for February of that year. There’s a bit more information in this thread, too:
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/picture-month/35242-week-5-thumb-dogs-vintage-submarine-redux.html?highlight=Vintage+submarine+Redux

I've had a lot of enjoyment contributing to this site over the years. It's always nice to visit this civilized corner of the wild-eyed internet.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Sub "Sword"-picture-week-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense