PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-12-2022, 02:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 737.23 MB
Smile thanks

In my haste to dash off my note I neglected to thank Mr. McCullogh (sorry if I got that wrong) for all his efforts in producing these models and offering them for free. Likewise I must also apologize to Papermodelers.com for the fine job they do hosting this forum. My deepest apologies to both....your efforts are much appreciated. A Happy St. Patricks Day to all!!!
Old 03-12-2022, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
A huge thank you for this contribution.
The conversion possibilities for using components from this one are mouthwatering.
kiwi2,
HMAS Sydney and HMAS Hobart are sisterships of HMAS Perth. Judging from your moniker, I reckon you already knew that. The biggest difference among them seems to be in the AA weapons. Hobart had 4 twin 4" mounts like Perth, but Sydney still had the original 4 single 4" mounts w/o shields. There were some also relatively minor differences in their 20mm, 2-pdr and machine gun armaments.

Apparently they landed their catapults when on arrival in the Med, in favor of captured Breda 20mm guns. When they left the Med, they took on board the catapult of the ship relieving them and left their Bredas for the that same ship.

With new funnels, mods to the bridge and new deckhouses, we could model the Leander Class.

Wayne
Old 03-13-2022, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
kiwi2,
HMAS Sydney and HMAS Hobart are sisterships of HMAS Perth. Judging from your moniker, I reckon you already knew that. The biggest difference among them seems to be in the AA weapons. Hobart had 4 twin 4" mounts like Perth, but Sydney still had the original 4 single 4" mounts w/o shields. There were some also relatively minor differences in their 20mm, 2-pdr and machine gun armaments.

Apparently they landed their catapults when on arrival in the Med, in favor of captured Breda 20mm guns. When they left the Med, they took on board the catapult of the ship relieving them and left their Bredas for the that same ship.

With new funnels, mods to the bridge and new deckhouses, we could model the Leander Class.

Wayne
Yes I was thinking a Leander. My old man was on the Achilles. {not at River Plate though} and I'm afraid the camo would have to go. It ruins the graceful appearance of these ships. Which I suppose, is what it was meant to do.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
It's a beauty. Great work and research to finish this up.
I've been considering an Exeter model in 1:600.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Carl
Old 03-17-2022, 02:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 GB
I have decided to make Achilles from scratch as I feel that with the differences between the single funnel and twin, and a fresh build would be easier than a recolor. Also I prefer my bulkheads separate from the decks.
This photo is the ship I am hoping to show. Taken in Auckland harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
1/600 Australian light Cruiser HMAS Perth-hmsachillesaucklandharbourwhitesaviation1930swa62580g.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
1/600, cruiser, perth, waterline, ww2